ADVERTISEMENT

I believe the new transfer rule will ruin College Basketball

Players will be on 1 year contracts — getting paid some nice money — under the new rules that will come down

Cal will spin this in his favor. He banked on the OAD the first time around and exploited it to the max. It payed off in a big way. He loves to tout that he takes these kids with a genius and guides them to millions of dollars in the nba. He will do it again with the transfers. This time around he will claim to have taken all the broken toys and undervalued kids from smaller schools and guide them to a shot at their dream in the NBA.

Cal will spin this in his favor. He banked on the OAD the first time around and exploited it to the max. It payed off in a big way. He loves to tout that he takes these kids with a genius and guides them to millions of dollars in the nba. He will do it again with the transfers. This time around he will claim to have taken all the broken toys and undervalued kids from smaller schools and guide them to a shot at their dream in the NBA.

Good points.

When I believe in things I never follow the statement with a question mark.

I agree completely. The days of seeing guys like Liggins develop over a few years are gone. Many of my favorite UK players weren’t stars as freshman. Seeing guys like Willis go from bench warmers to key contributors isn’t nearly as likely now.

Even a good team made up of 1 year transfers isn’t as fun. Part of the enjoyment (for me anyways) is getting to know a player and watching him improve. Now even good teams will be a lot of 1 and dones, they’ll just be transfers instead of star freshman. I hope this transfer rule doesn’t ruin the game, but at this point I think it will.

Sadly none of my favorite sports as a kid are nearly as good of a product now. NFL used to have a segment called “Jacked Up” at halftime of the Monday night game where they showed big hits. Now most of those tackles would be a penalty, fine, or even ejection. Ray Lewis is considered one of the greatest LB’s of all time. He’d be ejected every game in today’s 2 hand touch league. College basketball is going straight down the toilet and NBA has basically been an uncontested 3 point contest for the last decade. The Shaq style era is gone. Maybe I just need to find a new sport to watch. I’m considering rugby haha.

Reactions: USMC Cat
Well the good news is that you're only immediately eligible 1 time. Get with the times.
Thank you for enlightening me Captain Obvious. Why people think they are cute and have to be a smart a** in a simple discussion is amazing. Grow up!!

I think it is good for the player. You can do a reset if you made a bad choice. And it may keep a kid in college at the next place rather than forcing him into the draft. Having to sit out basically forces that decision on you now because your option is limited to sitting out a year at the next college before playing in year 3. So it will help spread the talent around and level the playing field a bit. You just learn to use the portal in the way we have used HS. I think it could be a good thing.

Reactions: Texcat59
Thank you for enlightening me Captain Obvious. Why people think they are cute and have to be a smart a** in a simple discussion is amazing. Grow up!!

I was just giving my opinion like you did on this fine Tuesday morning. Do you think your opinion is worth more than mine or something?

I think it is good for the player. You can do a reset if you made a bad choice. And it may keep a kid in college at the next place rather than forcing him into the draft. Having to sit out basically forces that decision on you now because your option is limited to sitting out a year at the next college before playing in year 3. So it will help spread the talent around and level the playing field a bit. You just learn to use the portal in the way we have used HS. I think it could be a good thing.

This. These colleges don't own these kids.

I agree completely. The days of seeing guys like Liggins develop over a few years are gone. Many of my favorite UK players weren’t stars as freshman. Seeing guys like Willis go from bench warmers to key contributors isn’t nearly as likely now.

Even a good team made up of 1 year transfers isn’t as fun. Part of the enjoyment (for me anyways) is getting to know a player and watching him improve. Now even good teams will be a lot of 1 and dones, they’ll just be transfers instead of star freshman. I hope this transfer rule doesn’t ruin the game, but at this point I think it will.

Sadly none of my favorite sports as a kid are nearly as good of a product now. NFL used to have a segment called “Jacked Up” at halftime of the Monday night game where they showed big hits. Now most of those tackles would be a penalty, fine, or even ejection. Ray Lewis is considered one of the greatest LB’s of all time. He’d be ejected every game in today’s 2 hand touch league. College basketball is going straight down the toilet and NBA has basically been an uncontested 3 point contest for the last decade. The Shaq style era is gone. Maybe I just need to find a new sport to watch. I’m considering rugby haha.
Funny you mention Liggins as the last one. Nick Richards was the most fun I’ve had watching a player develop into his junior year at UK. That was WAY back in 2019/2020.

Reactions: Mike-D
I'm actually excited about it.Baylor won it all with 3 transfers on their team.
I think a potential difference with the way Baylor did it and what it looks like now is all 3 of their transfers sat and practiced with the team for a year prior to playing. That has to be a huge benefit to the program. They weren’t recruiting these guys as transfers as a 1 year option, but guys to be a sustainable part of the program. Teague and Mitchell were both on their 3rd year at Baylor.

Funny you mention Liggins as the last one. Nick Richards was the most fun I’ve had watching a player develop into his junior year at UK. That was WAY back in 2019/2020.

I didn’t say Liggins was the last one. He was just the first player that came to mind. I really enjoyed Richards too. New transfer rule will eliminate guys like that. There was talk the whole time Richards was going to transfer. He likely didn’t because of the sit out a year rule.

It is ok for one year but not many teams would ever have a stable roster if it were to become permanent. The sitting out a year is the best thing that's ever happened if you are going to want to transfer out everytime something pisses you off which is the way some kids are today. That teaches you some things about life, decisions have consequences so when you pick a school make sure your heart is in it. A lot of good players have almost left their schools but stayed and worked hard to overcome adversity and were glad they stayed. There are also some good reasons to transfer and sitting out is ok if the reason is strong enough. I think the rule was ok for this year because of Covid but now it's time to go back to the original rule.

I think its gonna revive college basketball. Who wants a raw OAD when you can get an experienced veteran. That's what i want. Sprinkle in a few OAD and stack with transfers and 3 to four year players.

I'm officially done with stacking 5 stars. Think we all are

I think it adds an element of excitement for me. I like seeing guys move. Its like an added recruiting season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT