ADVERTISEMENT

The new approach against this year’s team

Jan 27, 2023
Slow the game down in every single way. Bring the ball up slowly. Dribble the ball an extra dribble or two before passing. Throw a few more meaningless passes around the perimeter. Send absolutely everyone to offensive rebound so UK can’t start their seamless transition. Play a faux zone defense where everyone sits just inside the three line to block inside out play.

Maybe the teams that have played this way have done so by virtue of their players. These games are the games this year’s UK team struggle in; it makes for some boring, dogshit basketball and I’m afraid it’s mostly what UK will see for the rest of the year.

Reactions: Fox2monk
What is hurting Kentucky is the same thing that has for ages. When opposing teams bring the physicality and give 110% the whole game is when we struggle. When mostly Freshmen face this kind of onslaught the results are not good, especially on the road. We could have easily lost the game at Arkansas if not for Mitchell and Reeves.

This isn't a new strategy. Cal does not know how to counteract a rock fight strategy. So he just submits to it and we lose games we shouldn't lose, especially in the tournament.

This isn't a new strategy. Cal does not know how to counteract a rock fight strategy. So he just submits to it and we lose games we shouldn't lose, especially in the tournament.
He immediately turns his attention to the draft the second the clock hits zero.

Reactions: know1
That’s why you employ jump traps to turn the opponent over/speed them up.

The worst case scenario for an elite offensive team is for the opponent to run 25 seconds of clock then chuck a three pointer.

Obviously failing to secure the defensive rebound compounds the misery.

I think on the road, the officials are letting the home teams get away with a lot more physicality than normal. Once we're in Rupp, a lot of that stuff would be fouls. We were being hand checked on every single drive at SC. In Rupp, a lot of that will be fouls.

The defense obviously has to be better. But truthfully, if teams want to run this "slow it down" offense vs us, it should be easier for us to improve on defense. I think a lot of our issues are "between the ears." I don't believe that We've got a bunch of 1st round draft picks and none of them is physically capable of staying in front of their man.

What is hurting Kentucky is the same thing that has for ages. When opposing teams bring the physicality and give 110% the whole game is when we struggle. When mostly Freshmen face this kind of onslaught the results are not good, especially on the road. We could have easily lost the game at Arkansas if not for Mitchell and Reeves.
You left out Sheppard. I agree with Reeves and Mitchell and both were on the receiving end of heady Sheppard passes for wide open looks.

I think the ncaa should switch to a 24 second shot clock and clamp down on the arm bars and grabbing. Allow freedom of movement.

When teams try that slow down crap, I wish Cal would borrow a page from Pitino and he has the talent and depth to do it. Press the living crap out of them. Turn the game into a battle of attrition. Most teams on our schedule does not have the depth to handle that up temp press. I hate the fact Cal's teams always seem to play to the other team's tempo. Force the temp on them.

Cal loves a "rock fight". He has said so numerous times.

He loves to overcoach on offense by calling every play and directing every player where they need to be from the sidelines.

You can't do that if a team runs and guns.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
You left out Sheppard. I agree with Reeves and Mitchell and both were on the receiving end of heady Sheppard passes for wide open looks.
The first half of the Arkansas game, and the whole game at South Carolina Shepard experienced the deer in the headlight's syndrome, the second half he played great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT