ADVERTISEMENT

I believe Kentucky ALREADY has a #1 seed locked.

Because head to head is just one game. But the fact that UK creamed KU in Kansas makes it really hard to not put additional import on the hth.
These two teams have extremely similar resumes. They are within a game of each other in quad 1 wins, losses, etc. Same record overall. Both top 10 to top 5 all season. There is not a great way to differentiate, with the exception of…

A head to head game late in the season AT KU in which it was a blowout. There are no injury excuses, road game excuses, close game came down to 1 possession excuses. It was at KU and one team dismantled the other team.

How that can be overlooked defies all logic. We are so caught up in these metrics, we lose sight of the obvious. UK won when it mattered and that shouldn’t be overlooked. In fact it should be the heaviest weighed metric to use. I’d say that even if the situation were reversed.

As a bonus, throw in the fact the SEC beat the Big 12 and Baylor lost, and it becomes extremely clear.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Forget Lunardi, who is always wrong on seeds. Look at it logically:

With little room for maneuver, there are only five teams with a possibility of a #1 seed: Gonzaga, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky and Baylor.

Forget Duke. As of right now they have two Quad 2 losses and 1 Quad 3 loss compared to ZERO by Kentucky. Using their own Quad system, the NCAA could never justify that. And forget Auburn. Yesterday's loss, while Kentucky won, shut the door on them.

That basically made it a head-to-head with what Baylor and Kentucky did this week. Baylor lost its first game. Kentucky won. Baylor has one more Quad 1 win, but also has a Quad 2 loss - which Kentucky doesn't and wouldn't have whatever happens the rest of the way. A loss to Tennessee - looking like a team with a shot at a #2 seed - would not change Kentucky's profile much.

And finally, given that SEC pretty much wrecked Kansas and Baylor in the head-to-head Challenge, I believe the Committee would NOT want to give the B-12 TWO #1 seeds and the conference that virtually everyone rates as the toughest ZERO.

I'd be interested in thoughtful disagreements, beyond "The Committee always screws Kentucky."
Disregarding your last sentence...the ncaa is always going to take care of Kansas and Puke no matter the circumstances. KU even being mentioned as a 1 over UK is ridiculous! UK should be a lock for a #3 1.

If we win today, we're getting the #1 seed in Chicago, with Duke as our #2 seed and probably someone like UCLA as our #4 seed.

Might even get Illinois in there as well. They're going to give us a murderer's row, and I'm fine with that.

Illinois sucks we would dirt roll them, in Chicago or anywhere else. They have some bad losses and no impressive wins.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Disregarding your last sentence...the ncaa is always going to take care of Kansas and Puke no matter the circumstances. KU even being mentioned as a 1 over UK is ridiculous! UK should be a lock for a #3 1.
If we win the SECT I would absolutely agree with what you are saying. We still have 2 games to win first though.

With little room for maneuver, there are only five teams with a possibility of a #1 seed: Gonzaga, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky and Baylor.

Forget Duke. As of right now they have two Quad 2 losses and 1 Quad 3 loss compared to ZERO by Kentucky. Using their own Quad system, the NCAA could never justify that. And forget Auburn. Yesterday's loss, while Kentucky won, shut the door on them.

That basically made it a head-to-head with what Baylor and Kentucky did this week. Baylor lost its first game. Kentucky won. Baylor has one more Quad 1 win, but also has a Quad 2 loss - which Kentucky doesn't and wouldn't have whatever happens the rest of the way. A loss to Tennessee - looking like a team with a shot at a #2 seed - would not change Kentucky's profile much.

And finally, given that SEC pretty much wrecked Kansas and Baylor in the head-to-head Challenge, I believe the Committee would NOT want to give the B-12 TWO #1 seeds and the conference that virtually everyone rates as the toughest ZERO.

I'd be interested in thoughtful disagreements, beyond "The Committee always screws Kentucky."

On fleek

Kentucky needs to control its own destiny and win today. Lose today and no complaining over seeds as far as I’m concerned. Win today and still don’t get a 1 seed and we have a legitimate gripe. Just win, baby.

I think we need to win today. If we lose today and KU wins the Big12, I can see Baylor and KU both getting 1 seeds. I think a win today secured a #1 seed with both Auburn and Baylor losing earlier.
It should but it wont. Lets just win the damn thing and remove all doubt.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Wouldn't it be better for us to be the top 2 seed and play the last 1 seed (Kansas or Baylor) in the MW, rather than be a 1 seed in the East with Duke?

I also think UK is getting a 1 seed regardless of today's outcome. For good measure let's just win the SEC tournament.

I can already hear the fake surprise in Nantz’s voice when they reveal the bracket and he “realizes” UK and Duke could play in the Elite 8. And it’s 30 years ago!

What are the odds?!?!

Reactions: augustaky1

I think we’d have to win today

The Committee always says SEC Tourney final does not come into play so win today it a #1 lose it a #2

• Haha
Reactions: gharding07
I do too. There was never any world in watch Baylor and Kansas were both getting one seeds and the SEC none. Duke playing Virginia Tech today does give me pause. Still in my mind it's always been Kentucky v Auburn and Baylor v Kansas for the remaining two 1 seeds. Baylor and Auburn both lost, ergo Kentucky and Kansas get em. Would also help the committee avoid having to deal with our H2H.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Committee had Baylor ahead of us when they released their top 16 seeds.

Baylor since lost twice. We lost twice. Both teams have only lost Quad 1 games since that date.

I know it's not so much "how have you done lately," but if you know where the teams stand--we should logically be able to move them up/down based on subsequent results.

I think based on that, we're behind Baylor in the Committee's mind--at least as of 10:22 Central Time on 3/12.

A win today gives us the same number of Quad 1 wins. We're either tired or ever so slightly ahead. If the bracket is "finished" Saturday night, we could be a 1 seed at the time of the bracket.

If it's not--I think they would have the loss knock us back below Baylor.

Just win today, pretty simple. Just win. Don’t look for reasons why we should get it even if we lose.

I still think I prefer to be the #2 in Gonzagas region, even if its on the moon.

Not if we had this much trouble against a bunch of Vandy eggheads :p

I hate to break it to you but if Kentucky loses to Tennessee today they are not getting a #1 seed. The committee probably has it Kansas #3, Baylor #4 and Kentucky #5 overall if Kansas wins today and Kentucky loses today they will keep their theory of H2H means nothing when a team is not next to each other.

Zero chance Kentucky gets a #1 seed with a loss today

ZERO

They don't just look at quad 1 only they look at quad 2 as well.

Baylor has 8 quad 2 wins to Kentucky's 5 that will be the difference if Kentucky loses today.

I see we got passed by Houston yesterday in the NET Rankings. We moved from 3rd to 4th. They beat Cincinnati who was 97th and we beat Vandy who was 66th. I'm going to let everyone in on a little secret. No one knows crap about what's going to happen. This is the NCAA we are talking about.
Still #2 in KenPom.

I hate to break it to you but if Kentucky loses to Tennessee today they are not getting a #1 seed. The committee probably has it Kansas #3, Baylor #4 and Kentucky #5 overall if Kansas wins today and Kentucky loses today they will keep their theory of H2H means nothing when a team is not next to each other.

Zero chance Kentucky gets a #1 seed with a loss today

ZERO
Agreed

This guy thinks Kentucky has to win SEC tournament AND Kansas has to lose to get a #1 seed.

He is an idiot.

And why is Baylor considered a 1 when we all know their injuries mean they are not worthy of a 1 seed? 1 seeds don't lose to cupcake Oklahoma on a neutral court.

I see we got passed by Houston yesterday in the NET Rankings. We moved from 3rd to 4th. They beat Cincinnati who was 97th and we beat Vandy who was 66th. I'm going to let everyone in on a little secret. No one knows crap about what's going to happen. This is the NCAA we are talking about.
Your forgetting to divide the winning score by the radius of the international space stations orbit at the time of victory. It's an easy mistake to make.

Reactions: bluefaithful
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT