ADVERTISEMENT

I’m Starting To Come Around To The View

10 wins is probably his ceiling yes. I had thought that was pretty common knowledge. What you have to ask yourself is who do you trust to do it again? Stoops has done it twice in the last 5 years. Do you trust a newcomer to do it before you trust stoops to do it again?

10 wins is probably his ceiling yes. I had thought that was pretty common knowledge. What you have to ask yourself is who do you trust to do it again? Stoops has done it twice in the last 5 years. Do you trust a newcomer to do it before you trust stoops to do it again?
WAS his ceiling in the old SEC. Looking at the schedule next year 6-6 is what I expect.

9-3 was the ceiling before going away with the divisions. I really don’t see us hitting 9-3 again without divisions. That will be certain if we go to 9 conference games.

The last few years of coaching hires have been the signal to me that there won’t be upside. As guys have left we’ve hired family and buddies or taking chances on guys. We spend more than enough that we can get a dude or 2 on staff but as clinkscale, the guy went to bama, etc left we’ve replaced them with comfortability hires. No new ideas or pushing the envelope in the office.

Hey at Kentucky we accept mediocrity I an all in let go get funding to put a big fat bronze statues in front of Kroger field of the winngest coach in Kentucky history

• Haha
Reactions: Blouman

9 regular season wins was pre NIL and Texas and OU and no divisions. I'd be super impressed if he gets close again.

Reactions: UKat1 and blubo
I will also add that the way that he wants to coach is done and gone. The only remaining question is whether he can or will move it in the direction it needs to go. Cal buried his head for several seasons hanging onto the way it used to be. We are in the middle of that with Stoops now. Even as big as UK basketball is it can’t be afforded to do that for a stretch of time for football since that is what drives all Athletic Dept boats. We can’t look up in a few years and still be plugging away at this stuff because it worked for you 5-7 years ago when muschamp was at sc and Odom at mizzou and were watching the demise of UF and we got favorable west scheduling and UL was a mess. We won’t have all that going for us at the same time again. Just playing hoping the other team messes up more than us.

I assume we’ll see a heavy dose of what people went to against us this year in conference where they know us well. Go side to side for a while early and make us run some side to side and force the dbs to come play up then you can just go wherever you want with it the rest of the game because it’s the exact opposite of how we can play.

Reactions: UKat1
Well we won 10 twice. So I’d say 10 was the ceiling.
9-3 plus a bowl win is a great year. It’s basically a historic year here. But it’s different than 10-2. Considering the current state of bowls and the switch to a 12 team playoff, it’s worth distinguishing.

9-3 plus a bowl win is a great year. It’s basically a historic year here. But it’s different than 10-2. Considering the current state of bowls and the switch to a 12 team playoff, it’s worth distinguishing.
9+1 is 10. A ten win season is a ten win season. Why diminish it? You get your last win against a quality team in a bowl game. History remembers victories, not circumstances.

You’ll be hiring a coordinator or a G5 head coach. The odds are overwhelming against it.

You’ll be hiring a coordinator or a G5 head coach. The odds are overwhelming against it.
You are correct. We all bleed blue and we all want to build the next football power. But you can’t paint on stripes and hope to be a tiger. A regime change is the absolute last thing we want right now.

Reactions: plumdog69 and gojvc
9+1 is 10. A ten win season is a ten win season. Why diminish it? You get your last win against a quality team in a bowl game. History remembers victories, not circumstances.
There’s not much quality about non-playoff bowls anymore. But I’m not diminishing it. They were the best years I’ve seen us have and I’ll never forget them. I’m saying when the playoff committee ranks us, we would have been 9-3 those two seasons. Our next team that’s that good won’t get the SEC East schedule. They’ll likely get nine conference games too. It honestly probably shifts our ceiling down one game.

There’s not much quality about non-playoff bowls anymore. But I’m not diminishing it. They were the best years I’ve seen us have and I’ll never forget them. I’m saying when the playoff committee ranks us, we would have been 9-3 those two seasons. Our next team that’s that good won’t get the SEC East schedule. They’ll likely get nine conference games too. It honestly probably shifts our ceiling down one game.
Man that’s some mental gymnastics.

Reactions: gojvc
Man that’s some mental gymnastics.
You think we can email the playoff committee and ask to be added to the playoff because we won our bowl game? We’re going to be judged on our regular season record.

I don’t want to play in the music city opt-out bowl I want to play in the playoff. The fact is neither of our 9-3 years would have gotten us in. The regular season going forward is going to be harder than those years. Potentially much harder if we go to 9 SEC games. You can pretend this isn’t true if you want.

You think we can email the playoff committee and ask to be added to the playoff because we won our bowl game? We’re going to be judged on our regular season record.

I don’t want to play in the music city opt-out bowl I want to play in the playoff. The fact is neither of our 9-3 years would have gotten us in. The regular season going forward is going to be harder than those years. Potentially much harder if we go to 9 SEC games. You can pretend this isn’t true if you want.
At this point I don’t even know what you’re arguing. Look a 10 win season is a 10 win season. I don’t care about anything you’re saying. When the team wins 10 games I’m happy and it’s a 10 win season. You’re arguing semantics and oddly trying to diminish our success.

Can't go 3-5 or 4-4 or 5-3 in the SEC and get in the playoff.
Exactly. Our best SEC record under Stoops has been 5-3. A large accomplishment here and really fun seasons. But we would not have been in a twelve team playoff those years though. I think that’s what some are missing. We have to have a better record against what will be a harder schedule to make.

At this point I don’t even know what you’re arguing. Look a 10 win season is a 10 win season. I don’t care about anything you’re saying. When the team wins 10 games I’m happy and it’s a 10 win season. You’re arguing semantics and oddly trying to diminish our success.
I don’t know what to tell you if you don’t get the difference between going 10-2 with a real shot of being in the playoff vs going 9-3 and beating Iowa for a 10th win in a bowl.

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
I don’t know what to tell you if you don’t get the difference between going 10-2 with a real shot of being in the playoff vs going 9-3 and beating Iowa for a 10th win in a bowl.
I never argued otherwise dude. I told you I didn’t care. It is what it is. I said we had 2 10 win seasons and you came in and were like “actually…..yada yada, committee yada yada”.

Reactions: gojvc
That Stoops has taken us as far as he can.

Props to him for what he’s done but today is prime time example of why he’ll never be a next level kind of coach
Yea let's go back to Joker, Curry days, I love me some 2 win seasons. Coach's are calling Barney each day to come to UK. Look at the hot Coach's that went to other schools, the Nebraska Coach, Minnesota Coach, Texas A&M Coach, USC Coach, multiple Texas Coach's. Yea you may get lucky and hit the right guy, but, you may hit the wrong guy as well.

Reactions: The-Hack
Yea let's go back to Joker, Curry days, I love me some 2 win seasons. Coach's are calling Barney each day to come to UK. Look at the hot Coach's that went to other schools, the Nebraska Coach, Minnesota Coach, Texas A&M Coach, USC Coach, multiple Texas Coach's. Yea you may get lucky and hit the right guy, but, you may hit the wrong guy as well.
It is getting more obvious that if there is any chance to hit that next level in the football program, Stoops ain't the guy. So, our options are, to settle for 6 or 7 wins a year, or roll the dice and change coaches? At 9 mil a year, we are not getting our money's worth. I say we go with the second option, because l have been saying since Stoops signed his contract extension last year, we can get 6 or 7 wins for 1/2 that price.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT