ADVERTISEMENT

I’m not a referee basher, but….we are in trouble

It all started with Pat T’ing up Humphries in College Station and its been all down hill from there.

Anyone who’s played organized sports will tell you: if you want to win big you have to be able to win through bad calls.

If we can’t beat Miami with an uneven whistle then we won’t reach a FF this season. Maybe that doesn’t matter to you. But if that does matter to you, then stop lining up excuses for why it’s ok to lose before the game even starts. That’s a loser’s mentality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pmalone6719
Anyone who’s played organized sports will tell you: you win big you have to be able to win through bad calls.

If we can’t beat Miami with an uneven whistle then we won’t reach a FF this season. Maybe that doesn’t matter to you. But if that does matter to you, then stop lining up excuses for why it’s ok to lose before the game even starts. That’s a loser’s mentality.
🙄

Reactions: postmodernprimate
Anyone who’s played organized sports will tell you: you win big you have to be able to win through bad calls.

Miami is a good team . You act like they're trash by your comment. Lol

Miami is a good team . You act like they're trash by your comment. Lol
They are a good team. Nothing in my comment suggests they’re trash. But they’re not a FF team.

Just because a team isn’t a FF team doesn’t mean they’re trash.

I stand by what I said. If you read things I didn’t write, that’s on you. My wife does that with things I don’t say all the time…

I want to add that my sentiment remains the same no matter who we play. We could play anyone and I wouldn’t think differently. That’s how I was raised and that’s how I was coached.

I wouldn’t trade my coaches or parents for yours if you were raised/coached differently. Nothing against you as a person.

Last edited:
They are a good team. Nothing in my comment suggests they’re trash. But they’re not a FF team.

I stand by what I said. If you read things I didn’t write, that’s on you. My wife does that with things I don’t say all the time…

I want to add that my sentiment remains the same no matter who we play. We could play anyone and I wouldn’t think differently. That’s how I was raised and that’s how I was coached.

I wouldn’t trade my coaches or parents for yours if you were raised/coached differently. Nothing against you as a person.
Not trying to be contrarian, but we stomped KU a couple of years ago at their place and we all know how that turned out.

They just

went to the final 4. You have no idea if they will be there or not.

Well thinking a loss to a good team in November means you won't be in the final 4, that's pretty terrible way of thinking that's all. Parents coach or whoever

Refs always eff us. The solution has always been to HIT SHOTS. You can’t legislate that. That’s why I’m so psyched about this team. Hit the damn shots and no one can say a thing.

They just

went to the final 4. You have no idea if they will be there or not.

Well thinking a loss to a good team in November means you won't be in the final 4, that's pretty terrible way of thinking that's all. Parents coach or whoever
As I said, it doesn’t matter to me if they make the FF or not. I did edit my original statement to clarify my position. Have you watched March madness before? You have to beat good teams to advance. And more often than not UK has to fight a bad whistle once or twice to advance as well, while playing a good team no less. So I stand by what I said- if UK is to advance to the FF they have to be able to win despite a bad whistle. Do you disagree?

I never said that. I said if the refs are the reason we lose in November I won’t have confidence that they make a FF. As a UK fan who’s watched more than the Cal era I’ve come to expect a bad whistle for UK. You are blessed to have only watched them win with a favorable whistle.

Time will tell how good Miami actually is. I think the ACC tends to be overrated but to each their own.

Not trying to be contrarian, but we stomped KU a couple of years ago at their place and we all know how that turned out.
That felt more like a blind squirrel finding a nut but I take your point. Anything can happen. Other than St Joes and Wagner shooting us out of the KU game this team has been performing consistently well. And they play very cohesively. Cal has no excuse this season.

I thought you were going to say Roger Ayers or Doug Sirmons. Pat isn't quite as bad as those two thankfully
I am sorry to disagree but I have said for five years ever since Carl Hess retired that Pat Adams is by far the worst official in college basketball !! He can’t keep up with the game and makes calls out of position time and time again .

We won by 22 and had 18 fouls called to their 15.

Looks like it all turned out ok. Whew. That was a close one fellas.

I thought you were going to say Roger Ayers or Doug Sirmons. Pat isn't quite as bad as those two thankfully
Sirmons isn't bad for us USUALLY, but he can be. He's the two-headed snake for a reason.

Ayers is only horrible with Higgins in tow.

Our two current horsemen are Adams and Shows.

We won by 22 and had 18 fouls called to their 15.

Looks like it all turned out ok. Whew. That was a close one fellas.
Still doesn't excuse the horrible officiating Adams did. Tre caught a forearm to the upper body with a call on him!

Then there was that stretch on Miami's end where UK got 3 fouls in like 5 seconds. No excuse for that. Ever.

I don't care if we in by 1 or 100. Bad officiating should always be called out.

I tried to give Pat the benefit of the doubt but there's no defending that ref show he put on. He's the worst SEC ref next to Doug Shows

Reactions: University-6
Still doesn't excuse the horrible officiating Adams did. Tre caught a forearm to the upper body with a call on him!

Then there was that stretch on Miami's end where UK got 3 fouls in like 5 seconds. No excuse for that. Ever.

I don't care if we in by 1 or 100. Bad officiating should always be called out.
lol I never said don’t call it out. Call it out until the cows come home. I’ve been watching UK basketball for over 30 years and we routinely get a bad whistle. Especially against the ACC.

Whether yall like it or not UK will have to win against good teams with a bad whistle in March. So, by all means, call it out. But at the end of the day we have to be able to go 5v8 some nights and win to make a FF and get another title thereafter. It’s not fair, but it’s reality. We did it tonight, so that should make you happy.

lol I never said don’t call it out. Call it out until the cows come home. I’ve been watching UK basketball for over 30 years and we routinely get a bad whistle. Especially against the ACC.

Whether yall like it or not UK will have to win against good teams with a bad whistle in March. So, by all means, call it out. But at the end of the day we have to be able to go 5v8 some nights and win to make a FF and get another title thereafter. It’s not fair, but it’s reality. We did it tonight, so that should make you happy.
It does make me happy. But we've had to go 5v8 more than any other P5 team in the country (2017) and its BS.

You shouldn't be expected to have to be 10 points better than another T10 to overcome a bad whistle.

• Haha
Reactions: Nightwish84
It does make me happy. But we've had to go 5v8 more than any other P5 team in the country (2017) and its BS.

You shouldn't be expected to have to be 10 points better than another T10 to overcome a bad whistle.
Says us and every other team's fanbase. Lord, I hate the constant ref excuses. Can it matter? Of course. Does every other team say the exact same shit? Yes. It's not really a conspiracy when every team gets to use the excuse.

No you shouldn’t. But for my entire life that’s been the expectation for UK for most teams from the ACC. And despite that we still were second in titles and #1 in all time wins for most of my life.

Unfortunately, life isn’t always fair. We can sit and around and mope about it or we can work our tails off to overcome it. That’s what my coaches told me when we faced a bad whistle. Although, they used more colorful language.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT