ADVERTISEMENT

Rate UK's potential next coach on a 1 thru 5-Star scale

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
5-Stars Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Dan Hurley, Brad Stevens...... Any of these 4 would be a grand slam, homerun slam dunk hire. I believe than any of these coming here would be the talk of the sports world. Any of these would over a 10 year period would get us to 5 or 6 Final Fours & 2/3/4 national championships.

4-Stars Nate Oats, Bruce Pearl, Mark Few..... Any of these 3 would be a major improvement over Calipari & I believe that any of them would give us a couple of national championships over an 8 to 10 year period.

3-Stars - Scott Drew, Chris Beard..... Both would be better than Calipari.

5-Stars Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Dan Hurley, Brad Stevens...... Any of these 4 would be a grand slam, homerun slam dunk hire. I believe than any of these coming here would be the talk of the sports world. Any of these would over a 10 year period would get us to 5 or 6 Final Fours & 2/3/4 national championships.

4-Stars Nate Oats, Bruce Pearl, Mark Few..... Any of these 3 would be a major improvement over Calipari & I believe that any of them would give us a couple of national championships over an 8 to 10 year period.

You give no specifics, though. Being the "talk of the sports world" isn't a reason to hire someone. I can give you Hurley based on his recent success, but if you don't think that there are at least some questions about Donovan and Stevens to rate them slightly lower, then you have no credibility.

how in the hell do you put oats or pearl ahead of drew..... drew has a national title at baylor for crying out loud.
top 3 recruiting class, hits the portal and has offense and defense ranked nationally every year.

people are freaking nuts
Exactly my thoughts. I dont understand people, who was Dan Hurley 2 years ago, would he have been on our list of wants? No, but he won the title...Drew has done that as well..We would be very lucky to get Drew in my opinion.

Reactions: JFCats22 and TM2013

What, in your mind, elevates your 4-star options over Drew?

I'm thinking there has to be a Nolan Richardson-esque "40 minutes of hell" type coach out there for us to counter Arkansas. Who's with me!?!?

Let's go......!

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner! Half of our fanbase are more concerned with how entertaining or charming the coach is than whether or not he wins games. Personality is the measuring stick for the lowest common denominator.

...and hair or no hair. Apparently they have to have great hair or none at all.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
LOL Drew as a 3 star?? I think you need to put what he's done at Baylor in perspective, and think what he could do with UK resources....he's going to crush it here.

Reactions: Girthang
LOL Drew as a 3 star?? I think you need to put what he's done at Baylor in perspective, and think what he could do with UK resources....he's going to crush it here.

For some people that's just not possible because of his faith.

5*
Hurley
Stevens

4*
Donovan
Beard - without the accusations and being removed from Texas, Beard would probably be the #1 or #2 phone call right now.

3*
Drew

I was thinking yesterday to do this, but on a 1-10 scale.
There are no 10's. Everyone has a flaw, Hurley's biggest is he might leave for the Knicks job in 1-2-3 years.

9.0 Hurley
8.5 Stevens
8.3 Donovan

7.5 Drew
7.2 Oats
6.5-7.0 range (Smart, Golden, Vogel, some others)

Yeah, I don't get the Billy Donovan obsession. He was a good coach but has been out of the college game for almost a decade and it is completely different now.
How is it different. You score by having the ball go through the basket. Defenses are the same, the only thing that changes are players.

How is it different. You score by having the ball go through the basket. Defenses are the same, the only thing that changes are players.
-NIL
-Recruiting is different with agents, shoe companies, etc.
-The transfer portal
-He won’t have a GM to construct his roster.
-won’t bring any players with him.
-Mediocre coach in the NBA with superior professional talent

5star Brad Stevens (no other coach on your 5 list w/out a title--all title holders drop to my 3 star level automatically)

4star your list plus Wade Will

3 stars your list, plus Todd Golden and all your 5's excepting Stevens

I think drew is being under valued but I also think people overvalue the Kentucky effect. The field has changed and with our NIL being iffy that is not good. I guess if cal being gone turns in some faucets then okay.

Scott Drew is a 5-star. Hopefully, he and his family accept the offer to coach basketball at the University of Kentucky! Looking forward to an announcement today!

-NIL
-Recruiting is different with agents, shoe companies, etc.
-The transfer portal
-He won’t have a GM to construct his roster.
-won’t bring any players with him.
-Mediocre coach in the NBA with superior professional talent

Superior to WHOM? I'm a Bulls fan from way back before Jordan. He has NOT had superior talent. He's had some great players, but the management has yet to put together a superior team.

I think Donovan's strength is his coaching, but in the NBA it's all about personality management rather than coaching. Billy knows about dealing with agents and shoe companies. He knows about free agency. I think he'd love to have control of his roster again and have talent that is much more malleable as opposed to what we see in the league these days.

Scott Drew is a 5-star. Hopefully, he and his family accept the offer to coach basketball at the University of Kentucky! Looking forward to an announcement today!

I think he's a 4+. Solid 4.3 out of 5. I don't think there's a solid 5 out there. Wright was a 4.75. Hurley is there right now, but could fall. There are some younger coaches out there with great potential but nothing. The officials can make or break you in college basketball, too.

We'll see

Sorry, these numbers are insane and miscalibrated. first 7 years Cal and last 6 years Rick are exceptions in UK history, not the rule, and your five star expectations are significantly better than either of those runs.

A ship per decade with 3 final fours and 5 elite 8s is absolutely excellent. Anybody should be able to hold the job here with that - anything more is amazing and historical, but expecting more is outrageous.

None of the coaches listed have done anything close to the numbers you're describing over any 10 year stretch, and even with the UK boost, by saying stuff like this, it's a total set-up for failure.

Superior to WHOM? I'm a Bulls fan from way back before Jordan. He has NOT had superior talent. He's had some great players, but the management has yet to put together a superior team.

I think Donovan's strength is his coaching, but in the NBA it's all about personality management rather than coaching. Billy knows about dealing with agents and shoe companies. He knows about free agency. I think he'd love to have control of his roster again and have talent that is much more malleable as opposed to what we see in the league these days.
Superior talent than a college roster was my point. He leveled up with talent and has underperformed.

What, in your mind, elevates your 4-star options over Drew?
Drew's NCAA tournament record minus his NCAA tournament championship team is 11-9. If he had just 1 more Final Four on his resume I would feel much better about UK hiring him. And I would rate him a 4 star.

You give no specifics, though. Being the "talk of the sports world" isn't a reason to hire someone. I can give you Hurley based on his recent success, but if you don't think that there are at least some questions about Donovan and Stevens to rate them slightly lower, then you have no credibility.
You say that Billy Donovan isn't that good of a coach. Donovan took a football school (Florida) which when he was considering taking the UF job Rick Pitino advised him not to take the job because it was a football school that didn't support basketball. Donovan took Florida to.

4 Final Fours
3 appearances in the national championship game
Won 2 national championships

And you tell me that I have no credibility. Little buddy you need to look at yourself in the mirror.

• Love
Drew's NCAA tournament record minus his NCAA tournament championship team is 11-9. If he had just 1 more Final Four on his resume I would feel much better about UK hiring him. And I would rate him a 4 star.

Fair enough. Can people move on from Drew now? He's not our guy

If we could get Donovan, I would be ecstatic because he was my first choice for years and still is. Was disappointed about BCG and even wanted BD as much as Cal back when he was hired. Not going to invest in that outcome because I don't think Barnhart is going that direction (and I think it's a HUGE mistake). If he doesn't even approach Donovan with a real offer for the job, I will most likely be done with any support of MB.

He'd have to go the other route I support and have stated here, finding a great young coach that has his sht together as a complete coach and is a true leader/dominator.

If we could get Donovan, I would be ecstatic because he was my first choice for years and still is. Was disappointed about BCG and even wanted BD as much as Cal back when he was hired. Not going to invest in that outcome because I don't think Barnhart is going that direction (and I think it's a HUGE mistake). If he doesn't even approach Donovan with a real offer for the job, I will most likely be done with any support of MB.

He'd have to go the other route I support and have stated here, finding a great young coach that has his sht together as a complete coach and is a true leader/dominator.
I like the young route, personally. And not necessarily young, but hungry, which usually equates to young; although Bruce would be the exception to prove the rule

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT