ADVERTISEMENT

Huggins punishment

Oh FFS...Nothing about what he said was an attempt to dehumanize anyone. This is the kind of over the top crap that is 2023. It's an incredibly stupid thing to say, no doubt. It's slang. But it isn't a hateful slur in the context it was used. Context absolutely matters. Just a ridiculous take.
Absolutely was intended to demean a specific sexuality. Comical you're trying to bend it into something else. They threw dildos on the floor and he used it to insinuate those people weregay for having the dildos and he chose one of the most hateful words to describe them.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
Absolutely was intended to demean a specific sexuality. Comical you're trying to bend it into something else. They threw dildos on the floor and he used it to insinuate those people weregay for having the dildos and he chose one of the most hateful words to describe them.
Lemp, I like a lot of your takes, but think you're missing this one. Huggy simply reverted to some old slang. Heck, I'm 44, and that was common was I was growing up. I don't think there was any evil intent there at all. I don't think this one runs that deep. Saying that with intent is the only thing .ore stupid than letting it slip accidentally.

Lemp, I like a lot of your takes, but think you're missing this one. Huggy simply reverted to some old slang. Heck, I'm 44, and that was common was I was growing up. I don't think there was any evil intent there at all. I don't think this one runs that deep. Saying that with intent is the only thing .ore stupid than letting it slip accidentally.
Sorry, I should rephrase. Do I think he used it like many used to use it when it was so common the real meaning was diluted? Yeah, probably. But this word was chosen because of the dildos, which for men from that same era would not be something they would typical own or handle and would instead associate with homosexuals. So the word he chose was specifically related to sexuality and the word chosen happened to be one of the most hateful ways to describe a homosexual. He doesn't get a pass from me. I'm good with the punishment and we need to move on, just disappointed to see many on here act like words have no meaning and if we are okay with our public figures and leaders of young men using slurs in this manner then it insuinates some level of acceptance for which I cannot abide.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
I don't think there was any evil intent there at all.
I think this where the disconnect is. I don't think anyone really thinks Huggins had evil intent. The issue is you have millions of people who have been called that word with the intent of actually dehumanizing them or making them feel less than a person. Many of whom probably have pretty traumatic memories of being bulled for being gay and hearing that word brings that all back.

Now I'm not foaming at the mouth over this or saying we all need to walk on egg shells at all times to make sure we don't "trigger" people. But I do think in 2023 we should all understand the history of that word and how it's legitimately been used for evil purposes. And when the public face of the premier university in a state says it twice during a radio show there needs to be consequences.

If he said anything bad about Christians or anything like that no one would care. Sad world we live in. Such agenda driven.

Make 1984 fiction again.

Well he did say something bad about Christians, he called them fags. Catholicism in my opinion is a form of Christianity.

So, he was intentionally targeting the Christians/Catholics?

Did WVU direct any of Huggins “donation” to a Christian/Catholic community-based charity group?

Reactions: saxonburgcat
The winding path in someone’s mind it must take to get there must be exhausting.

Again, it’s a dumbass thing to say. To think that in this context he was doing anything more than taking a jab at a bunch of kids from his old schools rival is just…well, exhausting. It doesn’t excuse it. Doesn’t make it right. Hell, it’s dead wrong. But it sure as hell isn’t targeted hate speech either.

Reactions: Catfan2226
I think this where the disconnect is. I don't think anyone really thinks Huggins had evil intent. The issue is you have millions of people who have been called that word with the intent of actually dehumanizing them or making them feel less than a person. Many of whom probably have pretty traumatic memories of being bulled for being gay and hearing that word brings that all back.

Now I'm not foaming at the mouth over this or saying we all need to walk on egg shells at all times to make sure we don't "trigger" people. But I do think in 2023 we should all understand the history of that word and how it's legitimately been used for evil purposes. And when the public face of the premier university in a state says it twice during a radio show there needs to be consequences.
For sure. A very level-headed approach. Has the word been used to spew hate? Yes. Was it in this context? Obviously not. Just like when someone uses the N word in anger or when one POC says it to another. Again, context is a big thing.

Sorry, I should rephrase. Do I think he used it like many used to use it when it was so common the real meaning was diluted? Yeah, probably. But this word was chosen because of the dildos, which for men from that same era would not be something they would typical own or handle and would instead associate with homosexuals. So the word he chose was specifically related to sexuality and the word chosen happened to be one of the most hateful ways to describe a homosexual. He doesn't get a pass from me. I'm good with the punishment and we need to move on, just disappointed to see many on here act like words have no meaning and if we are okay with our public figures and leaders of young men using slurs in this manner then it insuinates some level of acceptance for which I cannot abide.
Are there people on here that have said they’re ok with the usage of the word? The closest I’ve seen to that are the ones that don’t support the reduction in salary.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Bingo. Huggy is an excellent basketball coach and an old school asshole. That's better than being a bad basketball coach and an old school asshole.

• Haha
$1 million?! That's half of Huggins monthly alcohol spending.
Huggs will never be without liquor in WV...

huggs-still.png

Bingo. Huggy is an excellent basketball coach and an old school asshole. That's better than being a bad basketball coach and an old school asshole.
Lol. Both pretty accurate statements. Got a good chuckle from me on that one.

Reactions: EdgeHD
1984…the thought police are out in full force.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. He didn't think it...he said it, and on the radio. He might have gotten away with this IN 1984, but we expect more from our coaches now (or at least some of us do). I was 18 once, but I try not to act like it now at 52. Huggybear needs to focus on that if he wants to coach at a major program where he is a REPRESENTATIVE of his university.

Eddie Murphy's Delirious concert is rolling over in its grave

Amazing to me that you can burn the American Flag, its freedom of speech, but burning a rainbow flag is a hate crime.

10 years ago they wanted just to be normal in gay marriage, now they want an athlete fired if he refuses to wear a pride flag on his jersey

crazy

Huggins should have known better but all this outrage is just stupid

Huggins isn't actively going after the LGBTQ community, he isn't enacting laws or attending anti-gay rallys, I seriously doubt he gives it much thought in his day to day life until he is confronted with it.

A sincere apology should have been enough and we move on in life.

Cancel culture just shows how weak we are as a nation

Either we can make fun of everyone or we can't make fun of anyone.

The people taking up for the LBGTQ group are the same people stereotyping hillbillies in WV as not worthy of being considered a peer
💯 agree!

Reactions: susan2361
Mostly from the christian white/right.

Yep, during covid, I saw Christian whites burning buildings, killing/attacking innocent people, and even declaring they were an independent country! Of course, they all got rich doing it with millions in donations pouring in as well. But, according to the liberal media these were "mostly peaceful protests." So, not sure why you have a problem with it?

So do you really think huggins has no contempt for LBGQT?

Yes
Yep, during covid, I saw Christian whites burning buildings, killing/attacking innocent people, and even declaring they were an independent country! Of course, they all got rich doing it with millions in donations pouring in as well. But, according to the liberal media these were "mostly peaceful protests." So, not sure why you have a problem with it?
Ah yes, and I bet you stood in real solidarity with Colin Kapernick. Hell, i can see you would have been a real asset in the early stages of the civil rights movement.

There would be no buyout, he would be fired with cause and leave with nothing.
Absolutely. I can't believe WVU didn't fire him with cause. Huggins hasn't produced a good team in several years and they're going to have to fire him anyway. Do it now and save paying him a buyout, even if you have to make an assistant the interim coach. It's not like they are going to be a title contender anyway. Huge lost opportunity by WVU on this one.

As for Huggins, I have no empathy for him. Huggins is a grown ass man who is the face & CEO of the basketball program of a nationally recognized state university. When I retired, I was a low level (production) supervisor for a chemical company. Even at that level, I was still considered a representative of the company. If I made a social media post or for some reason was interviewed on radio or TV and made the statement Huggins did, I'd have been fired.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
Ummm. Last I checked. A crucifix obtains a representation of one Jesus Christ. Ya know. The guy the religion takes its name from?

The last thing I wanna do is get in a religion discussion, but I can't resist responding to this laughable nonsense.

It is painfully stupid to suggest that Catholics are not Christians. Indeed, Catholicism is the original Christian church, the one that was here first before other denominations began splintering off from it.

This is a common misunderstanding. I want to be clear that I am speaking on a doctrine level which is the very structure of belief. I am not speaking to individual Catholics because I don't know their hearts nor their salvation. Only one can know that. I was a Catholic and now I am a Christian.

There are a plethora of biblical differences between the two which therefore, concludes both have different faiths. They're often conflicting. I'll give one example. One is praying to Mary. She can't hear your prayers. She or the priest can't intercede for you. Sacraments cannot grant salvation. (works) Only one person can do that. John 14:6 And Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me.". This means that only Jesus can intercede for you, not anyone else. Only He shall the one. There is no reason to honor Mary nor the saints or anyone else. They're not God. Ephesians 2 8-9: "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." At one point I too believed I had to work for my salvation and that is not true. They're a natural response after salvation.
I just wanted to leave that here.

Catholics are not the original Christian Church. I would encourage to read the book of Acts as that was the first early church. In that book, there is nothing from a doctrinal standpoint pointing towards Catholicism.

My intention is to just provide scripture to show major conflicting doctrinal difference and both can't be true. Only one can be.

This is a common misunderstanding. I want to be clear that I am speaking on a doctrine level which is the very structure of belief. I am not speaking to individual Catholics because I don't know their hearts nor their salvation. Only one can know that. I was a Catholic and now I am a Christian.

There are a plethora of biblical differences between the two which therefore, concludes both have different faiths. They're often conflicting. I'll give one example. One is praying to Mary. She can't hear your prayers. She or the priest can't intercede for you. Sacraments cannot grant salvation. (works) Only one person can do that. John 14:6 And Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me.". This means that only Jesus can intercede for you, not anyone else. Only He shall the one. There is no reason to honor Mary nor the saints or anyone else. They're not God. Ephesians 2 8-9: "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." At one point I too believed I had to work for my salvation and that is not true. They're a natural response after salvation.
I just wanted to leave that here.

Catholics are not the original Christian Church. I would encourage to read the book of Acts as that was the first early church. In that book, there is nothing from a doctrinal standpoint pointing towards Catholicism.

My intention is to just provide scripture to show major conflicting doctrinal difference and both can't be true. Only one can be.

Very true. Catholics do a lot of bizarre stuff that most Christians do not do.

That is total BS. Donating the salary to the nonprofit. Such a soft, pandering culture. Punishment should be the suspension and that’s it.
Or give him the option to donate to Xavier or whatever charity he approves of. LGBTQ xyZ.etc. racketeering and strong-arming. It's not enough to apologize for saying one word. No they have to force you to donate to a cause you don't agree with or bake a cake etc. Tolerance is a one thing. Forcing others to accept and promote your cause or sexual preference is tyrannical.

Or give him the option to donate to Xavier or whatever charity he approves of. LGBTQ xyZ.etc. racketeering and strong-arming. It's not enough to apologize for saying one word. No they have to force you to donate to a cause you don't agree with or bake a cake etc. Tolerance is a one thing. Forcing others to accept and promote your cause or sexual preference is tyrannical.
'racketeering and strong-arming"
"Forcing"
"tyrannical"

Good lord, the drama seeping from you. On the Paddock, someone obsessed with blaming everything on liberals did just that yesterday when talking about this situation. Here, you're attempting to make the LGBTQ community the villains. Is it really that difficult to just say Huggins said a slur not once but twice and that is wrong? Stop twisting and turning yourself into a pretzel shifting blame to others as if the LGBTQ folks are "the bad people." Huggins said it, twice, and was punished. If you immediately rallied around him or seem more hurt by his punishment, it really does say something about you. He created this situation. No one made him say it.

One thing I can always count on - older people on this site pretending it's 1962 and seeing their out-of-date thoughts and opinions when it comes to culture now. I swear if this site existed in 1993 some of you would be trying to convince us it's okay to use the N word. Heck, recently someone on the Paddock said "blacks are to blame for all our problems."

Should have lost his job. A person in that position showing lack of awareness an intolerance for a group of people who have been historically denigrated and discriminated is unacceptable.

Serious question, are you gay yourself?

You are always the first and loudest to defend sodomy as if it’s the most important value in your life.
I'm not gay, no. But is that where you want to go with this conversation? We disagree so you immediately ask if I'm gay because anyone who thinks Huggins is wrong for using a slur must be a homosexual? How old are you, sir? If you're above the age of 12 and now think I'm gay because we disagree then please grow up and leave all cultural discussions to the adults.

'racketeering and strong-arming"
"Forcing"
"tyrannical"

Good lord, the drama seeping from you. On the Paddock, someone obsessed with blaming everything on liberals did just that yesterday when talking about this situation. Here, you're attempting to make the LGBTQ community the villains. Is it really that difficult to just say Huggins said a slur not once but twice and that is wrong? Stop twisting and turning yourself into a pretzel shifting blame to others as if the LGBTQ folks are "the bad people." Huggins said it, twice, and was punished. If you immediately rallied around him or seem more hurt by his punishment, it really does say something about you. He created this situation. No one made him say it.

One thing I can always count on - older people on this site pretending it's 1962 and seeing their out-of-date thoughts and opinions when it comes to culture now. I swear if this site existed in 1993 some of you would be trying to convince us it's okay to use the N word. Heck, recently someone on the Paddock said "blacks are to blame for all our problems."
Ha! I'm the one being overly dramatic?
Sounds like a gay slur. Pay up. 😏
In regards to the rest of your age and race stereotyping and assumptions... Good grief.
Is The View not on today?

Should have lost his job. A person in that position showing lack of awareness an intolerance for a group of people who have been historically denigrated and discriminated is unacceptable.
What if he had just said Catholics?
Serious question.
I'm just trying to figure out how exclusive your victimhood club is, and which deserves a harsher punishment.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Ha! I'm the one being overly dramatic?
Sounds like a gay slur. Pay up. 😏
In regards to the rest of your age and race stereotyping and assumptions... Good grief.
Is The View not on today?
Using words like racketeering, forcing, and tyrannical is dramatic. When part of your punishment is giving up money, it typically ends up helping the people you insulted. Huggins used a slur against the LGBTQ community, so it wouldn't make sense to give a donation to the ASPCA instead. I think his punishment is fine, but why do you seem frustrated by it? His "joke" was that of an old man completely out of touch. Another post of yours mentions victimhood. There's a bit of that everywhere. We've got adults having months long conniption fits over a beer can and making it seem as if they're being attacked in some way. Again, by a beer can. A lot of folks in our country need to do some growing up. How about we all get out from under the victim umbrella?

You liked an immature post by a troll so I see where your mind is on this issue. One of the hosts took a cheapshot at transgendered people and then Huggins used a slur twice within seconds. The world isn't the good ole boys club anymore. The generations after you understand that. Younger people are more open minded about some things and older people are growing more angry by the day. I dunno man, put me on the side that's a bit more accepting and slightly less angry over every little thing.

If you're more frustrated over the punishment rather than a grown ass man using a slur twice on radio, it says a lot about you. Stop using your personal hatred over "the libs" to rally around someone who used a slur twice on radio. Also, it's not cancel culture at work because he wasn't cancelled, he was punished for his dumbass actions. There are consequences in life. We all know that. Like I said before, at work today go around and start throwing out some slurs and see what happens. Hint: you won't be carried around the building on your co-workers' shoulders and deemed a hero.
TD

• Haha
TD

Spicolli called two guys that word in Fast Times and it was put in the movie. What a fake outrage society we live in now where so many want to position themselves as “compassionate.”

Spicolli called two guys that word in Fast Times and it was put in the movie. What a fake outrage society we live in now where so many want to position themselves as “compassionate.”
Spicolli is a made-up character, and a bumbling teenager to boot. I would choose not to base my moral compass on the words that Hollywood writers and producers put in his mouth (though I might has chuckled at them as a 12-year-old). Again, (Fast) times change. We hope to grow as a society, but we can only do so if everyone in the room agrees to reject the bigotry of the past and strive to be better. Yes, it is only my opinion, but I feel pretty good about holding it.

Reactions: bbncal02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT