ADVERTISEMENT

Huggins punishment

Catfan2226

Senior
Apr 13, 2012
Looks like WVU has suspended Huggy Bear for the first 3 games,reduced his salary by 1 million which is to be donated to the WVU LGBTQ community based charity,added a clause in his contract that he will be evaluated on a yearly basis.Huggins also apologized to Xavier and made a personal donation to their community affairs dept.He also accepted full responsibility for his actions and the damage he has done by his poor choice of words.
This is what I read so I hope I got it right,if not my apologies.

Looks like WVU has suspended Huggy Bear for the first 3 games,reduced his salary by 1 million which is to be donated to the WVU LGBTQ community based charity,added a clause in his contract that he will be evaluated on a yearly basis.Huggins also apologized to Xavier and made a personal donation to their community affairs dept.He also accepted full responsibility for his actions and the damage he has done by his poor choice of words.
This is what I read so I hope I got it right,if not my apologies.

1 million??? I have no words for the crazy world that we live in.

Yeah, exactly. A million dollars??? That kind of money could make a real difference if spent well for real needs.
The money is very much going to "real needs". It's going to organizations who help with HIV/AIDS treatments, addiction recovery services within the LGBTQ community (who have rates of addiction and alcoholism double those of heterosexuals), and affirmation and mental health services for LGBTQ people. Let's face it, West Virginia probably isn't the easiest place to be part of that community. It's money well spent for those in need.

Secular leftists, including the radicals and racists at ESPN, virtue signal to their peers and call those they disagree with evil, white supremacists, bigots, ignorant, backward, etc. knowing they will face no consequences.

Certain people are allowed to be denigrated.

You can always tell who’s in control by seeing who you can’t make fun of.

Last edited:
To say that word during an interview on the radio in 2023 … dude is honestly lucky to still have a job. Bonehead.
To say that word during an interview on the radio in 2023 … dude is honestly lucky to still have a job. Bonehead.
I'm against using the word anywhere

Reactions: BigTyrone
Huggy has to know and do better. He is basically a CEO of a company. And he's paid handsomely for it. People of that status and branding have to be more aware because of the money involved. They represent a lot of other people and a lot of other people's livelihood.

The fine is astronomical. The suspension meaningless (3 non-conference games?). He'll do the training standing on his head.

Huggy Bear grew up in a time when when those slurs where thrown around lockerooms like damp towels. Sometimes as a figure of speech rather than a direct homophobic slur. Which doesn't make acceptable or excusable. Most of us have removed those words and changed our way of thinking about other people. Obviously he has not.

I have always liked his bluntness. He seems very real. But this is yet another example of how the world has passed Huggy by, and he doesn't really care.

Huggy has to know and do better. He is basically a CEO of a company. And he's paid handsomely for it. People of that status and branding have to be more aware because of the money involved. They represent a lot of other people and a lot of other people's livelihood.

The fine is astronomical. The suspension meaningless (3 non-conference games?). He'll do the training standing on his head.

Huggy Bear grew up in a time when when those slurs where thrown around lockerooms like damp towels. Sometimes as a figure of speech rather than a direct homophobic slur. Which doesn't make acceptable or excusable. Most of us have removed those words and changed our way of thinking about other people. Obviously he has not.

I have always liked his bluntness. He seems very real. But this is yet another example of how the world has passed Huggy by, and he doesn't really care.
I've heard several people say they don't mean it as a homophobic slur. That is such bullshit, words have meanings, if you don't mean the word, don't say it. Calling your buddy a f*g when you mean goof ball or idiot doesn't change the meaning of the word. It's an ugly hateful word, and if it became so common place in your social circles that it lost that meaning to you, it says even more about the person slinging it around than if they just said it and meant it.

I've heard several people say they don't mean it as a homophobic slur. That is such bullshit, words have meanings, if you don't mean the word, don't say it. Calling your buddy a f*g when you mean goof ball or idiot doesn't change the meaning of the word. It's an ugly hateful word, and if it became so common place in your social circles that it lost that meaning to you, it says even more about the person slinging it around than if they just said it and meant it.
Thank you. It is telling that certain people came out of the woodwork to try and get their attacks in against LGBTQ people in this thread, you hardly see them comment on anything basketball-related. Why can't people just let others do their thing? Some people just can't go about their daily lives without making fun of those less fortunate, disabled, handicapped, different race, etc. The people attacking others are the ones I'm genuinely concerned about.

If Cal had said that he would have been fired and there is no doubt in my mind. The NCAA would also have burned down Rupp Arena and given UK the death Penalty
Obviously still alot of back woods red necks /hill billies in West Virginia.
Now watch me get banned for typing this.

Reactions: susan2361
Thank you. It is telling that certain people came out of the woodwork to try and get their attacks in against LGBTQ people in this thread, you hardly see them comment on anything basketball-related. Why can't people just let others do their thing? Some people just can't go about their daily lives without making fun of those less fortunate, disabled, handicapped, different race, etc. The people attacking others are the ones I'm genuinely concerned about.
Do words really keep people from doing their thing?

FTR…this is coming from someone about as socially liberal as I can be. But it also comes from someone that has been around long enough to realize the importance of actions over words, and to inject context into anything and everything. Huggins got fined and suspended. Seems about right, because at the end of the day he screwed up. But his words aren’t keeping anyone from doing their thing. Just an old white guy that said a word he shouldn’t have.

If he said anything bad about Christians or anything like that no one would care. Sad world we live in. Such agenda driven.

Make 1984 fiction again.
Well he did say something bad about Christians, he called them fags. Catholicism in my opinion is a form of Christianity.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Eddie Murphy's Delirious concert is rolling over in its grave

Amazing to me that you can burn the American Flag, its freedom of speech, but burning a rainbow flag is a hate crime.

10 years ago they wanted just to be normal in gay marriage, now they want an athlete fired if he refuses to wear a pride flag on his jersey

crazy

Huggins should have known better but all this outrage is just stupid

Huggins isn't actively going after the LGBTQ community, he isn't enacting laws or attending anti-gay rallys, I seriously doubt he gives it much thought in his day to day life until he is confronted with it.

A sincere apology should have been enough and we move on in life.

Cancel culture just shows how weak we are as a nation

Either we can make fun of everyone or we can't make fun of anyone.

The people taking up for the LBGTQ group are the same people stereotyping hillbillies in WV as not worthy of being considered a peer

1 million dollars.
Think about it. So much money.

And it means nothing to Bobby Higgins because he's gotten 2, 3, 4 million dollars every year for 20 years.

Dude makes obscene amounts of money to coach basketball and not say slurs over mass media.

World's not going crazy for holding people accountable. It's that we reward some people so much for doing nothing

If you're more frustrated over the punishment rather than a grown ass man using a slur twice on radio, it says a lot about you. Stop using your personal hatred over "the libs" to rally around someone who used a slur twice on radio. Also, it's not cancel culture at work because he wasn't cancelled, he was punished for his dumbass actions. There are consequences in life. We all know that. Like I said before, at work today go around and start throwing out some slurs and see what happens. Hint: you won't be carried around the building on your co-workers' shoulders and deemed a hero.

If you're more frustrated over the punishment rather than a grown ass man using a slur twice on radio, it says a lot about you. Stop using your personal hatred over "the libs" to rally around someone who used a slur twice on radio. Also, it's not cancel culture at work because he wasn't cancelled, he was punished for his dumbass actions. There are consequences in life. We all know that. Like I said before, at work today go around and start throwing out some slurs and see what happens. Hint: you won't be carried around the building on your co-workers' shoulders and deemed a hero.
but people wanted him fired, WV just said screw you to the cancel culture crowd. And $1m for saying a slur is just stupid. I'm not promoting that he should have been allowed to say it, but that is over the top appeasement, the pendulum has swung too far.

Bob Huggins has raised over $16m for colon cancer research and support since his return to WV. People are alive because of what he has done. But two words on a radio program said in jest, not against the gay community, but against a rivalry sports team is worthy of wiping that out in the eyes of many

two words......

it says alot about everyone.

Last edited:
WV just said screw you to the cancel culture crowd.
WVU didn’t say screw cancel culture. They worked with the university’s LGBTQ organizations and came up with a punishment all parties agreed on. Huggins offered what seems to be a heartfelt apology and said he accepts any consequences that came his way. This seems to be extremely appropriate given the circumstances.

An apology, a punitive punishment along the lines of money that will be donated the community Huggins used the slur against, and hopefully self improvement on Huggins’ side. To me this seems well handled by all involved.

Hire more drag queens for school readings I guess
I think the LGBTQ folks are more than drag queens but its hilarious in your mind you went right to that. On one hand some will act like drag queens hardly exist so why cater to them in any way but at the same time they'll pretend drag queens are around every corner and will bring them up constantly as you just did.

Reactions: fastpaste101

Agree. Some things you just know you can't say and this is definitely one of those things. Then he doubled down on it. Then when asked about it a few hours later he wouldn't retract it.

I thought for sure he would be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT