ADVERTISEMENT

How much can Perry contribute

Agree. It's subjective . Reed is the better athlete and I will just say now the better bball IQ ( noone hardly has Reeds IQ) . TRAVIS unlike Reed is fearless though where as Reed was timid alot of games ( he just wouldn't shoot open shots alof of times) . If Travis is open he's shooting and both are about equal shooters IMO. How Perry is on drives a mid range I don't know.
He is better than shepherd both driving and mid range. Shep was always afraid

Reactions: NociHTTP
I have seen Perry play several times in person and watched several of his games via you tube, I also saw Steve Alford, the Indiana all american(1983-87) who led them to the NCAA championship, play in person several times when he was a senior in HS at New Castle, Ind, Perry in my opinion is an Alford clone. Bob Knight ran an offense that continuously picked and screened to free Alford for open shots. After watching the 23-24 BYU offense on you tube which features constant motion, multiple picks and screens to free up shooters, I expect Perry to also realize his full potential and perform at an all SEC level. Perry in Pope's offense is going to be fun to watch and will surprise a lot of the doubters .
Alford is actually a pretty apt comparison. Good call.

And, as you noted, Knight ran that motion offense where his frontline guys were constantly screening away from the ball to free up shooters. That really helped Alford overcome his athletic limitations (and the lack of those screens helps explain why his NBA career did not go well).

But almost no teams use that sort of screen-heavy constant-motion offense today. Perry may have to rely on the dribble to create his own shot far more than Alford did.

In Cal’s offense, if you want to call it that, he would have struggled.

In Pope’s very structured offense, he will excel!!

I’m expecting 8-10ppg, 3-4 assists per game in his freshman season. I think we get 3-4 years of Perry and I think we win a title in that timeframe as well.

So obviously you're using a sock account. I don't recall you around these parts last season. Yet you recall all those things.
Haha! So you remember every poster?

Just for shits and giggles, I’ll tell you a little about myself. I was born in 1971 at King’s Daughter’s Hospital in Ashland KY and was a fan from that day forward. The first UK game I attended was in the late 70’s, Kyle Macy was my favorite player. I used to rub my socks before shooting free throws like every other boy in KY did to imitate him. I’ve seen Dominique Wilkins play in person at Rupp Arena.

I joined this message board in 2003 and post occasionally but not daily. I moved from eastern Ky to WV due to a step-parent’s job transfer so that’s where the name comes from. Is there anything else you would like to know?

Reactions: UKortho

Just for shits and giggles, I’ll tell you a little about myself. I was born in 1971 at King’s Daughter’s Hospital in Ashland KY and was a fan from that day forward. The first UK game I attended was in the late 70’s, Kyle Macy was my favorite player. I used to rub my socks before shooting free throws like every other boy in KY did to imitate him. I’ve seen Dominique Wilkins play in person at Rupp Arena.

I joined this message board in 2003 and post occasionally but not daily. I moved from eastern Ky to WV due to a step-parent’s job transfer so that’s where the name comes from. Is there anything else you would like to know?
Why the F you living in West Virginia?

I just hope he’s here multiple years. He did well against and out scored Reed head to head many times.

I think Perry will be very competitive for playing time right away and could even take the 6th man role bringing volume scoring off the bench.

It’s going to be overblown because of what Reed just did but Perry is nowhere near the player Reed is and expectations should be vastly reduced.

I don’t see Perry doing much at all, unless the roster just totally falls apart.
That’s probably what you and many others said about Reed. Even though some of the minority thought differently.

Reactions: NuttinButtLove
No idea but feel like expectations should be a 4 year player similar to Patrick Sparks. If we get more I’ll be pumped. I’d love that kid to be special.
I think he is a 4 year player. It’s subject to change, but I could see him in med school.

Man, I loved Macy as well. Rubbed my socks also.

No idea but feel like expectations should be a 4 year player similar to Patrick Sparks. If we get more I’ll be pumped. I’d love that kid to be special.
This is about how I feel as well. He should be compared to Travis Ford and Sparks, hopefully spends all four years at UK. I've seen enough to know he will be great in Pope's offense. The question is can he defend well enough as a freshmen to get major minutes next year.

He is better than shepherd both driving and mid range. Shep was always afraid
That was only thing frustrating about Shep (aside from the strange passes to no where q few times every game. He was open many times but just wouldn't shoot even clear lane drives . When Reed was aggressive he was great he just wasn't most games.

Lofton was more of a small 2 guard to me. Perry will be a PG in college. I watched Perry in the Sweet 16, and he appeared to be a very streaky shooter to me. I can't say he is as good a shooter as Lofton, or Sheppard, from what I've seen. I think Perry does have better ball handling skills than Lofton. I don't think there is any real doubt that Perry can be an effective offensive player from the start, it's all about defense as to whether we can win with him on the floor. I think he and Chandler's game may complement each other well, I look forward to seeing those two play together.

Last edited:
Lofton was more of a small 2 guard to me. Perry will be a PG in college. I watched Perry in the Sweet 16, and he appeared to be a very streaky shooter to me. I can't say he is as good a shooter as Lofton, or Sheppard, from what I've seen. I think Perry does have better ball handling skills than Lofton. I don't think there is any real doubt that Perry can be an effective offensive player from the start, it's all about defense as to whether we can win with him on the floor.
Compared to Reed as a senior in high school, Perry was a better shooter. Now compared to Reed ‘s year at UK? Man, I didn’t see that coming.

Reactions: ukfan1622
I can’t believe I’m saying this but he is gonna be special I think. I worry about his size but he has so much resolve. Or dawg as the kids say. I think more than Shepard. At the risk of comparing I think he does things reed couldn’t. Like crest his own shot. And he won’t turn down shots. And I think has better handle. Again. Will it translate with his size. In time I think so. I have really high expectations. Not just a good player. An excellent player.
I think the biggest knock on Reed was he would disappear every few games. If we get less production, but more consistent from Perry, I would be happy.

Perry will be a contributor and probably our 6th man if not starting. I’ve seen him play multiple times and I am just as excited as I was for Reed.

Compared to Reed as a senior in high school, Perry was a better shooter. Now compared to Reed ‘s year at UK? Man, I didn’t see that coming.
That is an expectation that should be managed because counting on such rare air is prone to disappointment at even stellar results.

The kid could shoot 45% with volume and be seen as stumbling.

Too many cannot differentiate hope and expectation.

I think he will be a role player/depth/development for next year but if pope plays fast, we could end up having 9 or 10 guys getting double digit minutes many games. I think focus going forward will be some guys for offense, certainly have crushed it with good defenders so far

Reactions: ukfan1622
I said before Reed played a game that many were over looking him as a player. I feel the same for Perry. I think he is going to surprise a lot of fans . Kid can score and if they set picks for him to get a shot off he is going to pull the trigger and he can hit shots.
I think people probably hadn't seen much of Reed and underplayed his athleticism since he was white. Reed is an explosive athlete and if he wasn't there is no way he would he be considered for the lottery.

Reactions: westerncat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT