ADVERTISEMENT

How much can Perry contribute

52T

Oct 26, 2023
I see all kind of threads about guards but barely see anything about Perry contributing anything. It’s like no one expects anything. Yet I’ve read some great reports. Didn’t he go against Shepherd at least once. How did that go?? Just wondering what’s expected from him.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I can’t believe I’m saying this but he is gonna be special I think. I worry about his size but he has so much resolve. Or dawg as the kids say. I think more than Shepard. At the risk of comparing I think he does things reed couldn’t. Like crest his own shot. And he won’t turn down shots. And I think has better handle. Again. Will it translate with his size. In time I think so. I have really high expectations. Not just a good player. An excellent player.

I see all kind of threads about guards but barely see anything about Perry contributing anything. It’s like no one expects anything. Yet I’ve read some great reports. Didn’t he go against Shepherd at least once. How did that go?? Just wondering what’s expected from him.
I think everyone is going to need to take a step back and not expect every white Kentucky phenom to be at Reed’s level. Reed was a burger boy for a reason.

I think everyone is going to need to take a step back and not expect every white Kentucky phenom to be at Reed’s level. Reed was a burger boy for a reason.
There are plenty of white males who can play the game at a very high level. So, there is no reason to not believe the state has more players like Reed who are going undiscovered. They may not be rim rockers but you don't have to be to be successful.

He's a fearless shooter that goes all out. He will get 15 to 20 minutes this year then likely a starter next 3.

Kid carries the rock of Gibraltar on his shoulder after Cal.. I actually expect big things as he seems like he's really hungry an really wants it.

How do you know"he is no where near" Reid?
Agree. It's subjective . Reed is the better athlete and I will just say now the better bball IQ ( noone hardly has Reeds IQ) . TRAVIS unlike Reed is fearless though where as Reed was timid alot of games ( he just wouldn't shoot open shots alof of times) . If Travis is open he's shooting and both are about equal shooters IMO. How Perry is on drives an mid range I don't know.

Reactions: dl51344 and UKortho
How do you know"he is no where near" Reid?
Two different players. Reed is taller and has underrated athleticism. Perry is shorter and not as explosive, but just puts the ball in the basket. Perry probably won't be getting steals or blocking three pointers like Reed either. Just not the same kind of athleticism. Perry does know how to create his shot and find the open spot. Both are really good Kentucky bred basketball players. The drought has been pretty long and now we have two years in a row with kids with multiple major D-1 offers that played high school basketball in the state.

If he works like Sheppard worked, he will get a shot. He will be a guy that will be able to hit 3's from NBA range. He will not be a guy to play great defense. He is KENTUCKY basketball just like Reed was. I hope Trent Noah maybe rethinks his decision and requests his release of his NLI. Does not mean USC gives him a release but if he could get out of USC and be at UK to learn the system this year (maybe play some) and then be ready to go in 2025.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
I can’t believe I’m saying this but he is gonna be special I think. I worry about his size but he has so much resolve. Or dawg as the kids say. I think more than Shepard. At the risk of comparing I think he does things reed couldn’t. Like crest his own shot. And he won’t turn down shots. And I think has better handle. Again. Will it translate with his size. In time I think so. I have really high expectations. Not just a good player. An excellent player.
I agree with this 100%, Cane ! I have those same high expectations ! ! !

I think his freshman success will be based on how he can compete with guards on other teams, not his teammates. This Pope team is likely to be a little different than years past. We shall see. Work dawg.

I just happened to watch the highlights last night of the game 2 years ago with Perry versus Sheppard; it was the first video I've seen of Perry.

Aside from looking like he jumped straight out of the screen from "Hoosiers", he is obviously one of those kids that just knows how to play, at least on the offensive end. He has a good handle and isn't slow but he just knows how to score and not just with threes. But the threes I saw him take in that game ran the gamut from catching and shooting to shooting off the dribble left or right, a step back, and once with the ball and a close defender giving a little dribble fake and just rising up and he has a quick release. As a junior in that game he got 45 against Sheppard's team though neither were guarding the other. Since there have been a lot of great scorers in Kentucky history you have to think the all time leading scorer might turn out pretty good and I think that will be the case.

The only question will be his defense as he looked shorter than 6'2" and not real explosive. Hopefully, he will have grown some since then.

Reactions: UKortho
There are plenty of white males who can play the game at a very high level. So, there is no reason to not believe the state has more players like Reed who are going undiscovered. They may not be rim rockers but you don't have to be to be successful.
This is what I love about coach Pope is he will go after in state talent no matter the color. Just kids who dream of wearing Kentucky blue. The talent level here has really progressed over the years. Would love to get Trent Noah at some point.

I said before Reed played a game that many were over looking him as a player. I feel the same for Perry. I think he is going to surprise a lot of fans . Kid can score and if they set picks for him to get a shot off he is going to pull the trigger and he can hit shots.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
How many have made significant impacts at other power 5 programs?

I read in a game they went head to head Perry’s team won and he out scored shepherd 45 to 32 I think. Little different players. We will see. I expect good things.
It is all about having a coach who is smart enough to RUN PLAYS for his scorers. Street ball will no longer be played at Kentucky. Starting next season, opposing teams will actually have to put in the work to prepare for a well thought out offense that is designed to exploit an opponent's defensive weakness.

Last edited:
200w.gif

• Haha
Perry is not Reed, but the reverse is also true as some have already pointed out. Perry is a GREAT shooter and even Reed said that he could not shoot as well as Perry. That's quite a statement. Perry can also create his own shot and is an absolutely deadly shooter. He reminds me of Louie Dampier, but it's obviously way too early to predict that he'll be that good. His release is also quicker than Shep's and his handle is a bit better too. He has great basketball IQ, but isn't the leaper and shot blocker Reed is. I think it's tough to compare the two players, but I have more confidence in Perry than any other Kentucky player in decades, aside from Reed and Griffith. I think Perry will be a pleasant surprise.

As far as Pope is concerned, I will give him the time he needs to prove that he can both coach as well as recruit. This current culture of cbb of greed and instant gratification has ruined the sport and I am not enjoying the way I have since Rupp's Runts in 1966. I hope it reverts back to an amateur sport soon or college basketball as we knew it will never return and that would be a huge loss, especially for UK, a school I attended because I was crazy about its basketball culture and style of play under Adolf Rupp.

Well Travis did set the states all time scoring record. They played national talent on their schedule as well.

Actually I remember a lot saying that about Sheppard. I also remember that Bradshaw would never play a game, Edward’s would be our best player and probably be #1 pick of the draft, Dillingham couldn’t shoot and probably more things than that didn’t happen
So obviously you're using a sock account. I don't recall you around these parts last season. Yet you recall all those things.

Travis Perry went off against Reed and scored 45 points, going 10-16 from deep. Reed had a triple double.

Perry is not Reed, but the reverse is also true as some have already pointed out. Perry is a GREAT shooter and even Reed said that he could not shoot as well as Perry. That's quite a statement. Perry can also create his own shot and is an absolutely deadly shooter. He reminds me of Louie Dampier, but it's obviously way too early to predict that he'll be that good. His release is also quicker than Shep's and his handle is a bit better too. He has great basketball IQ, but isn't the leaper and shot blocker Reed is. I think it's tough to compare the two players, but I have more confidence in Perry than any other Kentucky player in decades, aside from Reed and Griffith. I think Perry will be a pleasant surprise.

As far as Pope is concerned, I will give him the time he needs to prove that he can both coach as well as recruit. This current culture of cbb of greed and instant gratification has ruined the sport and I am not enjoying the way I have since Rupp's Runts in 1966. I hope it reverts back to an amateur sport soon or college basketball as we knew it will never return and that would be a huge loss, especially for UK, a school I attended because I was crazy about its basketball culture and style of play under Adolf Rupp.
I have seen Perry play several times in person and watched several of his games via you tube, I also saw Steve Alford, the Indiana all american(1983-87) who led them to the NCAA championship, play in person several times when he was a senior in HS at New Castle, Ind, Perry in my opinion is an Alford clone. Bob Knight ran an offense that continuously picked and screened to free Alford for open shots. After watching the 23-24 BYU offense on you tube which features constant motion, multiple picks and screens to free up shooters, I expect Perry to also realize his full potential and perform at an all SEC level. Perry in Pope's offense is going to be fun to watch and will surprise a lot of the doubters .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT