ADVERTISEMENT

Hot take - I want Louisville to be good again

Eh, that’s a myopic take.

What’s good for the state is many good and economically viable universities. Competition is also a good thing. Using the state legislature to get involved in college athletics or protectionism is some backwoods local yokel corruption in government. That’s not good for the state as a whole at all and we should all be against it.
?????

I'm still relatively young but my favorite memories of this rivalry are from the early Calipari/Pitino Era. I miss the excitement and anxiety leading up to tipoff where winning wasn't a sure thing. The games were battles and winning felt like an accomplishment where we would obtain bragging rights for the year. I still watch highlights of beating them in the tourney in '12 and '14. I grew up in Louisville (but don't live in Kentucky anymore) so most of my friends from home are UofL fans, and being able to talk trash with them was always a good time.

Now this game feels like punching a Make-a-Wish kid in the face. There's no excitement, no challenge. My UofL friends don't care anymore so trash talk is meaningless. At no point was I worried about losing yesterday, the only minor 'anxiety' was about if the win would be ugly. While it was cool to see our fans take over the Yum, it was so disappointing to me to see however many empty seats there were last night and the general low-energy home crowd when this use to be a top 2 rivalry in college basketball. I use to argue this rivalry was better than Duke/UNC, now I'm not even sure it's in the top 5.

Don't get me wrong, I want to beat Louisville every time we play them, but I at least want a fight! Look at the football game this year - how awesome was it going into their stadium and beating a "top 10" team? I'll be watching highlights of that game for years to come. My UofL fans were talking so much sh*t before the game that beating them felt so much sweeter. But last night's game? It was great in the moment, but this morning I don't feel that sense of accomplishment after beating our main rival.

I want them to be good again so we can get that excitement back. I imagine I'm in the minority here so I'm ready for people to bash me.
U6 to be good again😂🤣😂👇👇👇👎👎👎Never, ever, never!! Guess you are too young to understand. They would be in seventh heaven right now if the roles were reversed.

Louisville being bad doesn't benefit Kentucky. I'd actually argue it hurts our brand & lowers standards. We need a villain.

On a larger view, the idea that the state should crush the city via backroom politics / legislation and prevent growth out of fear of competition is ass backwards and one reason our state lags economically. Taking the counter view, embracing competition, is what drives success.

Kentucky has not made sudden gains at all since Louisville has dived. It literally has not benefitted the program one iota. Has only hurt the program.

I’m torn. The rivalry is more fun when the Cards are good. But, this ultra down period for them couldn’t happen to a better fanbase.

All that chirping about UK cheating all those years, and then they lose a title banner and their program burns to the ground … because of cheating.

Watching the UL fanbase pretend they don’t care is richly satisfying for me, but the rivalry has certainly lost its luster. Cal has dominated them in basketball for 15 years and Stoops has been owning them since he got a team with SEC size and depth.
Reread your own post again and you'll change your mind! If roles were reversed they'd be the same way again! Why would you want that?

Louisville being bad doesn't benefit Kentucky. I'd actually argue it hurts our brand & lowers standards. We need a villain.

On a larger view, the idea that the state should crush the city via backroom politics / legislation and prevent growth out of fear of competition is ass backwards and one reason our state lags economically. Taking the counter view, embracing competition, is what drives success.

Kentucky has not made sudden gains at all since Louisville has dived. It literally has not benefitted the program one iota. Has only hurt the program.
U6 sports has nothing to do with Kentucky economically. It's because for too long people voted wrong.

Reactions: crestcat

Since the. state had to rescue their sorry arses suppose they be called UKL.

UK has not been affected one iota by the Ville for sure negative or positive. You would have to tell me how we have lost anything by them being in the crapper

Reactions: bevcat
U6 to be good again😂🤣😂👇👇👇👎👎👎Never, ever, never!! Guess you are too young to understand. They would be in seventh heaven right now if the roles were reversed.
This x10000. They would absolutely be dancing on our graves. The digs from their fans and media would be sinister.

I hate to say it but for those that want UL to be good again, one of my favorite ex UK coaches, Kenny Payne, will have to go. He is at his best sitting beside a good head coach.

Louisville could lose every game by 100 for the next century and I would love it. If you have ever dealt with their fans, you'll never want to see them be decent again.

If the ACC falls apart, I hope Louisville ends up in the YMCA league and fades into oblivion.

I have to say that it often feels like pity game. Maybe we can just beat them without taking their lunch money. 😂😂😂

Nope. I hope they get even worse. Their fans are the most hateful in all of sports. We don't need them. Instead, I'd like to see us get back to pre 2016 Cal era good and start rivalries with the other blue bloods.

You know the UL hate is kinda weird. I've never even considered them a rival. They're a mid-major school that lucked into two great hires in Crum and Pitino who they only got because he wanted to coach back in KY. They lucked into the ACC from their midmajor american conference. They're gonna go back to being what they always were when the ACC blows up. Somewhere back in the american conference.

Reactions: DraftCat
You know the UL hate is kinda weird. I've never even considered them a rival. They're a mid-major school that lucked into two great hires in Crum and Pitino who they only got because he wanted to coach back in KY. They lucked into the ACC from their midmajor american conference. They're gonna go back to being what they always were when the ACC blows up. Somewhere back in the american conference.
Ok, this is just silly. Not gonna defend them for a second but to say a school “lucked” into two hall of fame coaches is nonsense. I guess we lucked into Rupp, Hall, Pitino and Cal.

I mean, hate them in any/every way you choose, but this take is just lame.

Ok, this is just silly. Not gonna defend them for a second but to say a school “lucked” into two hall of fame coaches is nonsense. I guess we lucked into Rupp, Hall, Pitino and Cal.

I mean, hate them in any/every way you choose, but this take is just lame.
Ok they got Crum. Cool, but that should've been it. Pitino should have never went there lol. How can you say that's not luck? They only got him because Kentucky wouldn't hire him back.

Starting to look like that more and more isn't it?

Back to back failed coaching hires and I'm not sure the 3rd time is the charm.

If they get left out of this new conference realignment which they will it's over for them.

I am glad UL is down and I hope they go even further down if possible. I listened to some of their fans as far back to the 70's. Screw UL !

I'm still relatively young but my favorite memories of this rivalry are from the early Calipari/Pitino Era. I miss the excitement and anxiety leading up to tipoff where winning wasn't a sure thing. The games were battles and winning felt like an accomplishment where we would obtain bragging rights for the year. I still watch highlights of beating them in the tourney in '12 and '14. I grew up in Louisville (but don't live in Kentucky anymore) so most of my friends from home are UofL fans, and being able to talk trash with them was always a good time.

Now this game feels like punching a Make-a-Wish kid in the face. There's no excitement, no challenge. My UofL friends don't care anymore so trash talk is meaningless. At no point was I worried about losing yesterday, the only minor 'anxiety' was about if the win would be ugly. While it was cool to see our fans take over the Yum, it was so disappointing to me to see however many empty seats there were last night and the general low-energy home crowd when this use to be a top 2 rivalry in college basketball. I use to argue this rivalry was better than Duke/UNC, now I'm not even sure it's in the top 5.

Don't get me wrong, I want to beat Louisville every time we play them, but I at least want a fight! Look at the football game this year - how awesome was it going into their stadium and beating a "top 10" team? I'll be watching highlights of that game for years to come. My UofL fans were talking so much sh*t before the game that beating them felt so much sweeter. But last night's game? It was great in the moment, but this morning I don't feel that sense of accomplishment after beating our main rival.

I want them to be good again so we can get that excitement back. I imagine I'm in the minority here so I'm ready for people to bash me.
Hot take .We have other exciting games. I want U6 to remain horrible.

Sort of good.
Good enough that they have hope each year on game day, just before we whoop their ass again.
Good enough that it is considered a real rivalry game, outside the state of KY.
Good enough that our game/win vs them actually helps us in NET which helps us come seeding time.

U6 sports has nothing to do with Kentucky economically. It's because for too long people voted wrong.

A previous KY Governor did have a role in the ouster of the previous UL administration. I don't know who voted for who. Don't care.

Im not defending Jurich either to be totally clear. I thought he was just as corrupt.

viewsi052989_medium.jpeg

If you remember this, and the sh!t that came our way for years afterwards, you will never want to see Louisville good again. They are dog sh!t on the bottom of our shoes and nothing more.

I have zero interest in playing UofL in football or basketball. Very good chance next year will be the last time the football series is played. Happy if they drop basketball as well. I have never considered them a rival. For those who can remember the only time we ever played the Cards was because we met in the NCAA tournament, there was a level of excitement that the regular season doesn't match. It was special because it was rare. The regular season games have pretty much been dominated by Kentucky, and more often than not, it is a blowout.

Kansas, UNC and IU were our big OOC games for as long as I can remember. Make those games happen every year. I wouldn't even mind a revival of the Notre Dame game which got lumped into the Big 4 classic, and then we just stopped playing them. UofL isn't a game I care about, and never really have. It's just one more game on the schedule that now gets played at 6:00 on a Tuesday. No one is seeing it as a marquee matchup so why keep playing it?

Nah screw em.

I don’t care about UL’s success or the rivalry (I live in Louisville, so the more we beat them the better), but one thing I do hate is that this game has gotten to the point where UK has nothing to gain, yet everything to lose. They are like 200 in the NET for 2 years in a row, Quad 3/4 win/loss for us, Quad 1 for them. In no “rivalry” should that be the case.

I agree. The football and basketball is just better when they're worth a damn and we actually have a chance to lose. It's nice to steamroll them year after year but it's not good for the rivalry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT