ADVERTISEMENT

Hot take - I want Louisville to be good again

Aug 17, 2021
I'm still relatively young but my favorite memories of this rivalry are from the early Calipari/Pitino Era. I miss the excitement and anxiety leading up to tipoff where winning wasn't a sure thing. The games were battles and winning felt like an accomplishment where we would obtain bragging rights for the year. I still watch highlights of beating them in the tourney in '12 and '14. I grew up in Louisville (but don't live in Kentucky anymore) so most of my friends from home are UofL fans, and being able to talk trash with them was always a good time.

Now this game feels like punching a Make-a-Wish kid in the face. There's no excitement, no challenge. My UofL friends don't care anymore so trash talk is meaningless. At no point was I worried about losing yesterday, the only minor 'anxiety' was about if the win would be ugly. While it was cool to see our fans take over the Yum, it was so disappointing to me to see however many empty seats there were last night and the general low-energy home crowd when this use to be a top 2 rivalry in college basketball. I use to argue this rivalry was better than Duke/UNC, now I'm not even sure it's in the top 5.

Don't get me wrong, I want to beat Louisville every time we play them, but I at least want a fight! Look at the football game this year - how awesome was it going into their stadium and beating a "top 10" team? I'll be watching highlights of that game for years to come. My UofL fans were talking so much sh*t before the game that beating them felt so much sweeter. But last night's game? It was great in the moment, but this morning I don't feel that sense of accomplishment after beating our main rival.

I want them to be good again so we can get that excitement back. I imagine I'm in the minority here so I'm ready for people to bash me.

Nope. I hope they are terrible and rot in obscurity forever. F them and their awful fans

Pretty much this. Denny was feeling froggy back in the 80’s and thought he could challenge us for state supremacy. We were basically forced to play them and have dominated them ever since. We didn’t need them before and we don’t need them now. Most (not all) of their fans have no humility… they continue to talk sh*t even after UK routinely creams them in both sports. They are a laughingstock of an athletic department.

Ul fans coming to this board looking for help.

No UK fan, particularly in Louisville, would ever want ul to be good again.
I'm a UK fan and and I could show you my degree from UK to prove it. I want Louisville to be good again. The rivalry is more fun when they are and it's good for the state when they're both good. And I actually thought it was cool they won the title in 2013 a year after we did. For a time there college basketball ran through the state of Kentucky and that was cool to see.

I hope we pound them into the ground whenever we play them, but outside of that one game I want them to be good.

I'm still relatively young but my favorite memories of this rivalry are from the early Calipari/Pitino Era. I miss the excitement and anxiety leading up to tipoff where winning wasn't a sure thing. The games were battles and winning felt like an accomplishment where we would obtain bragging rights for the year. I still watch highlights of beating them in the tourney in '12 and '14. I grew up in Louisville (but don't live in Kentucky anymore) so most of my friends from home are UofL fans, and being able to talk trash with them was always a good time.

Now this game feels like punching a Make-a-Wish kid in the face. There's no excitement, no challenge. My UofL friends don't care anymore so trash talk is meaningless. At no point was I worried about losing yesterday, the only minor 'anxiety' was about if the win would be ugly. While it was cool to see our fans take over the Yum, it was so disappointing to me to see however many empty seats there were last night and the general low-energy home crowd when this use to be a top 2 rivalry in college basketball. I use to argue this rivalry was better than Duke/UNC, now I'm not even sure it's in the top 5.

Don't get me wrong, I want to beat Louisville every time we play them, but I at least want a fight! Look at the football game this year - how awesome was it going into their stadium and beating a "top 10" team? I'll be watching highlights of that game for years to come. My UofL fans were talking so much sh*t before the game that beating them felt so much sweeter. But last night's game? It was great in the moment, but this morning I don't feel that sense of accomplishment after beating our main rival.

I want them to be good again so we can get that excitement back. I imagine I'm in the minority here so I'm ready for people to bash me.
You would not be saying that if they were kicking our butt every 2 years out of 3. UL can remain in the trash heap forever.

I’m torn. The rivalry is more fun when the Cards are good. But, this ultra down period for them couldn’t happen to a better fanbase.

All that chirping about UK cheating all those years, and then they lose a title banner and their program burns to the ground … because of cheating.

Watching the UL fanbase pretend they don’t care is richly satisfying for me, but the rivalry has certainly lost its luster. Cal has dominated them in basketball for 15 years and Stoops has been owning them since he got a team with SEC size and depth.

I'm a UK fan and and I could show you my degree from UK to prove it. I want Louisville to be good again. The rivalry is more fun when they are and it's good for the state when they're both good. And I actually thought it was cool they won the title in 2013 a year after we did. For a time there college basketball ran through the state of Kentucky and that was cool to see.

I hope we pound them into the ground whenever we play them, but outside of that one game I want them to be good.
I liked it better when they lost the 2013 title

I will let Captain Ahab from Moby-Dick speak my thoughts on U-6.

4828704-Herman-Melville-Quote-To-the-last-I-grapple-with-thee-From-Hell-s.jpg

I kinda feel like that, but then I read their forum and it’s better to beat the living hell out of them for eternity now.

I love UL -- not just the sports team -- but they wandered in the wilderness. For a pretty long time.

I’m torn. The rivalry is more fun when the Cards are good. But, this ultra down period for them couldn’t happen to a better fanbase.

All that chirping about UK cheating all those years, and then they lose a title banner and their program burns to the ground … because of cheating.

Watching the UL fanbase pretend they don’t care is richly satisfying for me, but the rivalry has certainly lost its luster. Cal has dominated them in basketball for 15 years and Stoops has been owning them since he got a team with SEC size and depth.
Oh pretend they do and that football win was so damn satisfying this year.

I want them to turn back into the city community college they started as. This is the University of Kentucky’s state. We didn’t need them prior to the state politicians forcing us to play them to help them grow, and we won’t need them after they drift back to irrelevance post conference realignment and ACC dismantling.

What title I looked in the record book and it's not there lol.

I’m quite a bit older than the Cal/Pitino era but I agree. I told my wife when the game was playing, I wish UL was at least competitive again. I had no nervousness or anything leading up to the game and found myself reading the game thread rather than watching the actual game.

Louisville sucks and I hope they always suck!! All you people wanting them to be good again have selective memories. They’d be laughing in our faces if the roles were reversed so stop this nonsense. If you feel sorry for them then go cheer for them. I hate everything louisville and that will never change. They act like they’re some kind of royalty down there. I hope they never win a game again. Merry Christmas!

I just want them to be OK again. Then the game is more exciting, but they never win anything important.

F that. This won’t last… they could be competitive next year with the right coach and good use of the transfer portal. I’m enjoying this while I can. You should too. I know they’d be insufferable if our positions were flipped.

I want them to be good to a certain point. It saps a lot of the fun out of the rivalry when they're this bad.

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

I want them to turn back into the city community college they started as. This is the University of Kentucky’s state. We didn’t need them prior to the state politicians forcing us to play them to help them grow, and we won’t need them after they drift back to irrelevance post conference realignment and ACC dismantling.
Eh, that’s a myopic take.

What’s good for the state is many good and economically viable universities. Competition is also a good thing. Using the state legislature to get involved in college athletics or protectionism is some backwoods local yokel corruption in government. That’s not good for the state as a whole at all and we should all be against it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT