ADVERTISEMENT

Horror Movies

Dead Silence is a good one from James Wan.

Not the biggest James Wan fan. I know that there's a place for PG13 horror movies, as it can be the gateway for younger fans to get into the genre (and also be good movies for those who aren't big into horror, like my wife).. but they're just too bland for me. Conjuring, Insidious, The Nun? Meh. Too reliant on jump scares and the use of ghost stories.

Reactions: christophero
I'm ready to say that Halloween 3 is the best film in that franchise.

It's a great isolated horror film. The catchy Halloween jingle is better than the "Michael Myers" theme, even if it's not as recognizable. The kills are epic. Tom Atkins is the man, boozing on the job and bedding the main girl, half his age, within like 30 minutes.

Michael Myers will always be a horror icon, but I don't think a single one of his movies is better than Halloween 3.

Absolutely.

Need to plug Midnight Mass again.. I think its one of the best single seasons of any show out there, and the only show I can only safely put above it is True Detective Season 1. I think this was show was absolute masterclass. And the trailer set to Keane's "Somewhere only we know" still gives me chills.

Halloween 3 is creepy and original, but better than Halloween? That is a bridge too far for me. I actually like the second one too. Not sure why the second seems to be hated; it's really scary, esp. Laurie being chased throughout the hospital, which almost seems to be abandoned lol.

I'm ready to say that Halloween 3 is the best film in that franchise.

It's a great isolated horror film. The catchy Halloween jingle is better than the "Michael Myers" theme, even if it's not as recognizable. The kills are epic. Tom Atkins is the man, boozing on the job and bedding the main girl, half his age, within like 30 minutes.

Michael Myers will always be a horror icon, but I don't think a single one of his movies is better than Halloween 3.
halloween3.gif

seasonwitch-halloween3.gif

Night Of the Living Dead was made on a budget of 100 grand. Grossed 18 million at the time. Have no idea what it is today but that's one hell of a return on investment.

We'll watch The Fog tonight. Good flick but my wife doesn't realize I watch it more for Adrian Barbeau's rack. hahahahaha

Halloween 3 is creepy and original, but better than Halloween? That is a bridge too far for me. I actually like the second one too. Not sure why the second seems to be hated; it's really scary, esp. Laurie being chased throughout the hospital, which almost seems to be abandoned lol.

It's a hot take, for sure. I kind of find the original slashers, and old horror movies, to be a little boring at times.. especially Halloween 1 and Friday the Thirteenth Part 1. I think they can be simultaneously considered classics, while also being a bit tedious and tame by today's standards and maybe something you only need to watch every so often.

I fine Halloween 3 closer to that "infinitely rewatchable" level of horror films. SO while Halloween 1 is undoubtedly higher on the list of Greatest horror films, I'd choose H3 over it if they're both on TV.

At 3.5 hours runtime, killers of the flower moon may end up classified as a horror movie!

Some call this horror. I call it the strangest damn movie I've ever seen.

Eraserhead.jpg

Much of his stuff is too weird for me. I have friends who swear by twin peaks and I just don't get it.

Finding something to watch now...

Fall of house of Usher, ep1 was good, but I think I'll pick that up after Halloween.

Much of his stuff is too weird for me. I have friends who swear by twin peaks and I just don't get it.

Finding something to watch now...

Fall of house of Usher, ep1 was good, but I think I'll pick that up after Halloween.
I liked the first season of Twin Peaks. Lynch is an odd one. Hard to believe he produced The Straight Story. Way out of character for him.

Finishing up The Faculty, one of my favs. A modern day classic for those born in the 80s and 90s.
Been a while since I've seen that one. Wasn't it kind of an Invasion of the Body Snatchers knockoff? Where the kids got high to keep the aliens from taking over their bodies?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Always been a big Michael Myers fan. So I watched the new Halloween trilogy this weekend. Man. The only good movie in that whole trilogy is Halloween 2018. Kills is basically a reskinned Jason movie. Ends wants to be Halloween 3 so damn bad with the evil infects plot point and Michael has maybe 10 mins of screen time in a 2 hour long movie. Never liked how this trilogy tried to depict Michael as this hulking brute. He stalks and plays with his victims. In Halloween 1978 he knocked over flower pots, and made noises to freak Annie out. And went into Lynda's room with Bob's glasses on. Not to mention he stalked Laurie and those 2 for hours before that night where he moved in. Maybe people don't know this. In this movie Michael is way too tall, and way too brutal. Barely any stalking. But Nick Castle is only 5 foot 11, 6 foot. This movie has Michael as a giant who goes around like Jason Voorhees. If this trilogy was just one movie and that being Halloween 2018 it would be solid. And if you made it this far, check out this badass Myers mask I just ordered.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: KyCatFan
Been a while since I've seen that one. Wasn't it kind of an Invasion of the Body Snatchers knockoff? Where the kids got high to keep the aliens from taking over their bodies?

It is, more or less. But they did a good job with it, with a surprisingly large star-studded cast, of not only popular names for millennials, but also the faculty/adult cast itself, which has Selma Hayek, Famke Jensen, John Stewart, the T1000, Shooter McGavin and more.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Always been a big Michael Myers fan. So I watched the new Halloween trilogy this weekend. Man. The only good movie in that whole trilogy is Halloween 2018. Kills is basically a reskinned Jason movie. Ends wants to be Halloween 3 so damn bad with the evil infects plot point and Michael has maybe 10 mins of screen time in a 2 hour long movie. Never liked how this trilogy tried to depict Michael as this hulking brute. He stalks and plays with his victims. In Halloween 1978 he knocked over flower pots, and made noises to freak Annie out. And went into Lynda's room with Bob's glasses on. Not to mention he stalked Laurie and those 2 for hours before that night where he moved in. Maybe people don't know this. In this movie Michael is way too tall, and way too brutal. Barely any stalking. But Nick Castle is only 5 foot 11, 6 foot. This movie has Michael as a giant who goes around like Jason Voorhees. If this trilogy was just one movie and that being Halloween 2018 it would be solid. And if you made it this far, check out this badass Myers mask I just ordered.
s-l1600.jpg

Yeah the 3 movies got worse with each release, with the final one still being a totally bizarre left turn. I'm honestly waiting for the Halloween Ends to marinate and maybe MAYBE make some sense after time has passed, but it's just too random, unbelievable, and uncharacteristic of what we expect from a Halloween movie.

I didn't mind Halloween Kills.. if for nothing else, the massive kill count was impressive. A lot of people get merc'd in that one, but I agree, he's a little TOO Jason-like.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Need to plug Midnight Mass again.. I think its one of the best single seasons of any show out there, and the only show I can only safely put above it is True Detective Season 1. I think this was show was absolute masterclass. And the trailer set to Keane's "Somewhere only we know" still gives me chills.

I liked MM too, but putting it above TD Season 1? Both are excellent.

The acting in both was just superb. Yeah, GoT and Walking Dead might be favored by some for the action and jaw-dropping plot lines.. But I'll take MM and TD over those shows simply for the performances we got to see.

Heard Flower Moon is a disaster. Anybody seen it yet?
I saw it. I read the book years ago, so at first I thought the story in the movie was a bit disjointed, but then it started hitting on all cylinders and it's long AF

DiCaprio is amazing.

So if you've read the book it focuses more on the investigation piece, Leo was originally cast as the lead investigator. But read he wanted to be a villain, so the movie focuses more on his characters relationship with the native he married.

I saw it. I read the book years ago, so at first I thought the story in the movie was a bit disjointed, but then it started hitting on all cylinders and it's long AF

DiCaprio is amazing.

So if you've read the book it focuses more on the investigation piece, Leo was originally cast as the lead investigator. But read he wanted to be a villain, so the movie focuses more on his characters relationship with the native he married.

He's must-see TV. Crazy how he can take on every kind of roll and kill it. I'll definitely watch it when I can see it at home. Controversial movie for sure, but his performance in Django was unreal.

Last edited:
Saw The Shining the week it came out in 1980. You could hear a pin drop during this scene.

shutterstock_editorial_5885079ab-2000-a0ad35d94af642a5a055ca9a6d661f17.jpg

One of the GOATs. Mount Rushmore of horror movies for sure. From the opening credits to Jack being frozen in the hedge maze. A masterpiece. I mentioned in a different threat, but the dog BJ scene still chills me to the core.

I love all the documentaries and discussion on Kubricks symbolism, too.

And to think.. Doctor Sleep was almost just as great of a horror movie.

Carrie is a good one. The remake with Juliane Moore as the mom was decent a decade ago. But nothing tops the original. Ahead of its time with the bullying stuff.
I liked the first recent Halloween movie, the second was average, and the third was absolutely awful.
The Faculty was pretty good, more sci fi than horror.
I own the Shining, it's a great book and movie, although they are very different.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDcatfan13 and UK82
Scariest movies according to science. Haven't seen many of these so I can't comment.

https://manofmany.com/entertainment/movies-tv/scariest-horror-movies-according-to-science

I've seen a similar list and it's BS to me. Once I saw The Conjuring and Insidious I knew this was a list that skewed towards mainstream horror. I get that it's trying to use heart rate (science) as the determining factor.. but thats just one type of horror which is mainly jumpscares. That doesn't include atmospheric horror, gross horror, etc.

Might as well be a list of the top most recognizable horror movies with a few odd ones thrown in.

4 episodes in on The Fall Of The House of Usher.. it's solid. Mike Flannagan doesn't miss. I out it behind MM and Hill House, but still good.

One thing that irks me a bit, is it seems Flannagan is trying a little too hard to cash in on what made other popular TV series. The family empire and their back and forths seems to be trying a little too hard to give off Succession vibes. And Arthur Pym is kind of a Mike Ehmantraut clone from the Breaking Bad universe. Some of his dialogue and mannerisms almost seem identical to how/what Mike would say and do. Not a huge issue with it though, just something I noticed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT