ADVERTISEMENT

Horror Movies

Another Exorcist flick opens tomorrow. I have my doubts about this one after seeing the trailer but we'll see.

Another Exorcist flick opens tomorrow. I have my doubts about this one after seeing the trailer but we'll see.

People debate whether the big slashers are overrated as they go on (Halloween, Friday, etc).. but Exorcist gets passed over. #1 is good, #2 is horrendous, #3 is an underrated great.. and the rest are forgettable. I think the Hyena scene in "Beginnings" was pretty jarring.. but that's about it.

Reactions: UK82
People debate whether the big slashers are overrated as they go on (Halloween, Friday, etc).. but Exorcist gets passed over. #1 is good, #2 is horrendous, #3 is an underrated great.. and the rest are forgettable. I think the Hyena scene in "Beginnings" was pretty jarring.. but that's about it.
For atmosphere the original Exorcist is the best IMO. Father Damien was probably my favorite character when it comes to horror movies. I have to say that the extended "director's cut" sucked. The crab walk scene was and should have been left out.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I misspoke. I shouldn't have said #1 was just "good" as it was fantastic. I think I was looking ahead to all the mediocre Exorcist movies.

• Love
Dunno if I've posted this movie in here (might have) but summer of '84 is a DAMN good movie. It's about this kid convinced his neighbor who's a cop is a killer. It has a REALLY good twist at the end. Would recommend it to anyone.

Reactions: sefus12
I don't know about that one. Seems like Thanksgiving in a horror movie would be better as a movie about cannibalism instead of a slasher. I think slashers are a bit overdone at this point.

So the reason for this movie, was back when Tarantino and Rodriguez did the double feature Grindhouse/Death Proof, they added a bunch of fake trailers to make it seem like the viewer was actually at some double feature drive-in.

All of the trailers were pretty solid, but people really liked Eli Roth's fake trailer "Thanksgiving".

Admittedly, the original concept looks better than the actual movie coming up. But Eli Roth still knows how to make some gory horror.

(sorry mods, there's boobies)

I liked Roth's Cabin Fever, but the one where those people went into the jungle was tough to watch. I am binge watching the Halloween and Nightmare on Elm St. movies for October.

I prefer suspense over slash. Check out The Changeling (1980) with George C. Scott. The acting is a little hokey but hey, it's horror.

Reactions: christophero
So the reason for this movie, was back when Tarantino and Rodriguez did the double feature Grindhouse/Death Proof, they added a bunch of fake trailers to make it seem like the viewer was actually at some double feature drive-in.

All of the trailers were pretty solid, but people really liked Eli Roth's fake trailer "Thanksgiving".

Admittedly, the original concept looks better than the actual movie coming up. But Eli Roth still knows how to make some gory horror.

(sorry mods, there's boobies)

I never seen that. Looks better as a corny horror comedy than serious slasher.

The Boy was a good one. I also like the Forrest. And It Follows and House of the Devil.
The Changeling was excellent.

I liked Roth's Cabin Fever, but the one where those people went into the jungle was tough to watch. I am binge watching the Halloween and Nightmare on Elm St. movies for October.

Cabin Fever is *chefs kiss*. Perfect amount of comedy, gore and utter craziness. There are two types of people in this world, those that love the Pancakes scene, or those that hate it. I loved it.

The Green Inferno was really just Eli Roth trying to be as disturbing as possible, making a nod to the Cannibal Holocaust film back in the 70s. Aside from some gnarly kills, there's no other reason to watch it.

Lots of good releases today (potentially)..

Pet Semetary Bloodlines.
Totally Killer
VHS 85

Upgrading some prod servers now and drinking some Southern Tier Pumking.. might have to check one of these out.

His Halloween films were OK.. but I've never liked any of Rob Zombie's other films. Never liked his Hillbilly trash stuff. I personally think it's an absolute low point for Horror movies
Same. He ruined Halloween by turning the Myers family into trailer trash. The whole point was that Michael comes from a good suburban middle-class family. Where as you can sympathize with Zombie’s Michael having grown up in an abusive and neglectful household.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Same. He ruined Halloween by turning the Myers family into trailer trash. The whole point was that Michael comes from a good suburban middle-class family. Where as you can sympathize with Zombie’s Michael having grown up in an abusive and neglectful household.

100%.

I was OK with the Halloween remakes because that franchise needed a reboot. And it gave us a different "story" to a horror icon. I'll never be upset with people trying their hand at remaking/rebooting great horror villains. No different than how we have like 7 different Batmans..

But they still weren't great. lol.

Dunno if I've posted this movie in here (might have) but summer of '84 is a DAMN good movie. It's about this kid convinced his neighbor who's a cop is a killer. It has a REALLY good twist at the end. Would recommend it to anyone.

Watching this now. Half way in. No way that Pam's art friend in the city is the killer...

Edit: My guess is it's the main kid or his fat friend. darkhorse is the chick.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
Watched Saw X.

Haven't seen any of the Saws really after part 2.

It was alright to pass some time

Finished it. It was pretty good. They did a good job getting down the 80s vibe along with the synth-y score. You can tell Stranger Things was a heavy influence here.

My two critiques was that it really wasn't THAT much of a twist, unless I'm missing something. It was kind of becoming obvious who the killer was going to be. I did love what the killer did to the main character at the end (maybe that's the twist?), but find it a little hard to believe this guy would be "at large" for long. The ending makes it pretty known that everyone knows who did it, so I fee like it would only be a matter of time before hes ID'ed.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Finished it. It was pretty good. They did a good job getting down the 80s vibe along with the synth-y score. You can tell Stranger Things was a heavy influence here.

My two critiques was that it really wasn't THAT much of a twist, unless I'm missing something. It was kind of becoming obvious who the killer was going to be. I did love what the killer did to the main character at the end (maybe that's the twist?), but find it a little hard to believe this guy would be "at large" for long. The ending makes it pretty known that everyone knows who did it, so I fee like it would only be a matter of time before hes ID'ed.
I felt the twist was really good because the movie makes you think it did the ''guy who you think is the killer actually isnt'' cliché. Then it flips that on its head.

Just watched Trick 'r Treat again. Good flick that has a cult following. Delayed release for 2-years for some reason. Love how the characters cross paths throughout the movie.

Reactions: J_Dee
I love the anthology horror flicks. Tales From the Crypt, Cat's Eye, Creepshow, Vault of Horror, etc..

Watched V/H/S 85 last night, which are all horror anthology movies. The latest was pretty good. They are all found footage, but they all pretty much get bat shit crazy by the end.

Finally saw Halloween Ends which is a fitting title because I wanted it to end about 30 minutes in.
I am still appalled how bad that movie is. I have zero clue what they were thinking going in the direction they did (without giving spoilers for those who have not seen it). Just a total mess.

When my daughters were younger (about 8 and 10?) we started watching some of the old classic black and white monster movies. Frankenstein, Dracula, The Creature From The Black Lagoon, etc... right around Halloween. I figured it was good way to get into the spirit of Halloween without scaring the crap out of them. They still appreciate a good scary story. They're now all grown, and are both coming over later today for an other round of classics. On tap for today's viewing...

81dsqi7pmNL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

and

MV5BMTI2NTAyNzk1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQwODEzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

My favorite horror movie is the OG Nightmare On Elm Street. I think a killer that gets to you in a place you can't avoid, sleep, along with the design of Freddy, is brilliant.

No movie scared me like The Exorcist did though. I mean it traumatized me for years. I shouldn't have rented it at 9 years old. The one in theaters sucks. It's exactly what I thought it'd be. A modern horror movie laden with jump scares and over abundance of CGI. PART 3 is the only good film of the franchise after the original.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Just watched Trick 'r Treat again. Good flick that has a cult following. Delayed release for 2-years for some reason. Love how the characters cross paths throughout the movie.
That's a damn good film to pick. Cabin in the Woods sat for two years at least too and it was a breath of fresh air. Did Lionsgate do Trick r Treat too?

I watched the Grudge 1 and 2. 1 was good, 2 was bad. Saw The Last House on the Left remake it was entertaining.

I'm ready to say that Halloween 3 is the best film in that franchise.

It's a great isolated horror film. The catchy Halloween jingle is better than the "Michael Myers" theme, even if it's not as recognizable. The kills are epic. Tom Atkins is the man, boozing on the job and bedding the main girl, half his age, within like 30 minutes.

Michael Myers will always be a horror icon, but I don't think a single one of his movies is better than Halloween 3.

Reactions: argubs2
Do Flatliners and The Dead Zone count as horror flicks? Thriller? We'll be watching one or the other tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT