ADVERTISEMENT

Horror Movies

I've seen a similar list and it's BS to me. Once I saw The Conjuring and Insidious I knew this was a list that skewed towards mainstream horror. I get that it's trying to use heart rate (science) as the determining factor.. but thats just one type of horror which is mainly jumpscares. That doesn't include atmospheric horror, gross horror, etc.

Might as well be a list of the top most recognizable horror movies with a few odd ones thrown in.
It's all subjective. Too many lists and too many differences in opinion. Some movies technically aren't considered "horror" but scared the hell out of me. To be honest, slasher films are boring to me because they leave nothing to the imagination.

Last edited:
Most of the best movies have been mentioned already. I don't think this movie has been yet.

It's not real scary, but I enjoyed it. Minus Matthew Lillard's overacting.

Here's a freaky one I watched a few years ago. It can be hard to find since there's a Japanese (?) movie of the same name. Pretty sure this is an American remake like The Ring, The Grudge, and Dark Water (3 other horror movies). I think you need to look it up with 2006 as the year.

Found it for free on YouTube.

Thirteen Ghosts is nice and campy. Haven't seen Pulse.

Just watched Henry: Portait of a Serial Killer. Pretty disturbing for a movie from the mid 80s. I can see why it rustled some feathers.

This thread is loooong. Most everything under the sun has probably been mentioned but if you're just looking for something to watch I might add:

Darkness Falls
Event Horizon
Ghost Ship
Dawn of the Dead either 78/2005
Ghosts of Mars

Reactions: christophero
Watching Boogeyman, one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Not the recent King adaptation, but the 2005 one. It's pretty creepy and has a good story. Darkness Falls is a good one too. Event Horizon was very scary.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Just watched The Lost Boys for the first time in a while. Probably my favorite vampire movie. Love the soundtrack with the 80's wardrobe and hair. Forgot Bill from Bill and Ted was a vampire. Who can forget this guy?

saxophone-the-lost-boys.gif

• Love
Reactions: Get Bucket$
Just watched The Lost Boys for the first time in a while. Probably my favorite vampire movie. Love the soundtrack with the 80's wardrobe and hair. Forgot Bill from Bill and Ted was a vampire. Who can forget this guy?

saxophone-the-lost-boys.gif

Soo ****ing good.. and soooo cheesy hahaha. I'm not entirely sure they didn't shot the dialogue scenes in just an afternoon.

Soo ****ing good.. and soooo cheesy hahaha. I'm not entirely sure they didn't shot the dialogue scenes in just an afternoon.
It's crazy that it's stood the test of time and really not anything better since (I know that's subjective). Definitely better than vampires that sparkle in the sunlight. Corey Haim was also in one of my favorite werewolf movies Silver Bullet.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Coming soon. To my knowledge, the only Thanksgiving horror movie. Could be wrong.

Thanksgiving_poster_2023j.jpg

There's a few others, such as the ThanksKilling movies, but those are real b-movies. This could actually be good and you know Eli Roth is going to deliver the gore.

As for Vampire movies, the only other one I liked since then (or at least a newer movie) was 30 Days of Night.. did a pretty good job with that, and it seems to be a VERY big influence on some of the scenes in Flanagans Midnight Mass.

The new Hell House LLC movie was pretty solid

Someone (maybe you) recommended the 1st one to me last year, and I liked it. Heard the ones after were all pretty good.

If anyone recommends a horror movie I haven't seen, and assuming I have the time, I'll watch it in the near future.

My final plug (for this year) for Midnight Mass. It's not just great Horror, but it's worthy of awards for being a expertly directed, acted and written. Watching bits and piece again and the monologues on death, forgiveness, spirituality all gave me goosebumps. Every character is so well developed for only 8 hours of total run time.

In some ways, it's top5 in horror for me. The Thing, The Shining, and Silence of the lambs probably land in that list. Not for necessarily being my favorites to watch.. but just how damn good they were from a film standpoint. Masterclass film making.

Has Nightbreed been mentioned yet? Clive Barker classic. Just throwing stuff out there at this point. From Dusk Til Dawn is a similar flick.

Heard a lot in the last week about "When Evil Lurks" being one of the more unforgiving, bleak, and tough to watch Horror Films.

So giving it a go now.. will report back.

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
Oh boy, that was something else.

Deep cut horror, gory and grotesque, extremely dreadful and unrelenting and it's not afraid to push the boundary. It's in the same vein as "The Dark and The Wicked" or "The Beyond". Imo, these are the hardest horror movies for the general public to take on.

The new Hell House LLC movie was pretty solid
It wasn't bad. It's still not as good as the first one. The behavior of the protagonists was a little head scratching. Lots of scares, but kudos on the one with the Zoom meeting, that was one was a little different.

Someone (maybe you) recommended the 1st one to me last year, and I liked it. Heard the ones after were all pretty good.

If anyone recommends a horror movie I haven't seen, and assuming I have the time, I'll watch it in the near future.
#2 was solid, #3 was shit. #4 is only loosely connected to the first three.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I watched a movie called Natty Knocks. It's about a woman named Natty who is burned as a witch and comes back to haunt a modern day town along with her son, who is now a serial killer. Had Bill Mosley and Robert England in it. Starts out good, then gets really schlocky and confusing. Not sure I'd recommend it.
One I would recommend is Prisoners. Not a horror movie more of a dark crime drama/thriller with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. Just brilliant and disturbing and thought provoking. Directed by Denis Villenueve. If you like dark thrillers like Seven check it out.

Last edited:
Just watched Cabin Fever again. Forgot how messed up it was. Shows how out of control things can get with a spreadable disease. Could you imagine that happening and being as contagious as something like Covid?

Watching An American Werewolf in London now.

Just watched Cabin Fever again. Forgot how messed up it was. Shows how out of control things can get with a spreadable disease. Could you imagine that happening and being as contagious as something like Covid?

Watching An American Werewolf in London now.

Cabin fever is probably in my top10 of favorite (not best) horror movies. It was so off the walls. Bert was the best, too.

Cabin Fever is great. The blonde is Cheryl Ladd's daughter. I never realized the stoner guy with the dog Mr. Mambo is the director. Watched Pearl with Mia Goth it is absolutely brilliant. The Wizard of Oz meets Halloween is the only way to describe it. It's like a technicolor musical/slasher film. I like the director Ti West who also did House of the Devil and The Innkeepers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT