ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s the reality…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experience doesn’t equate to success. Billy Clyde had “experience”. We saw how that worked for us.

Dan Mullen had “experience” before taking over Florida’s football program. How’d that work out for him? Experience is a word thrown out by people who have no clue what really goes in to being a successful coach or leader.
Pitino and Calipari both took teams to final fours before coming here.

try harder

So who, that is currently at a major program and had success, do you think is going to be willing to take the Kentucky job? Hurley isn’t leaving UConn for Kentucky because that’s a lateral move. Oats is Billy Clyde 2.0 (just wait till he leaves Bama and all the stories come out).
KY job is not a lateral move. Hurley would make more than double his current salary at KY. Oats has slide down my list but let’s see how things go next year with him. Vogel is my first call Hurley is 2nd

What is "extremely successful"? They combine for one NCAA tournament appearance.
On the topic of, what makes NBA draft picks such a success? I thought we were wanting to get rid of that?
Gonzaga only has one tournament appearance? What in the world are you talking about? They’ve won as consistently in the NCAA tourney as anyone in the last decade.

Kentucky is absolutely a lateral move from UConn. UConn has been absurdly more successful since the turn of the century than Kentucky has. Hurley is going to get a raise after this season as well and will always have a much easier path to a high seed while at UConn while still being able to recruit high end talent.

Kentucky simply isn’t nearly as good of a job as many of y’all allow yourself to believe. The rest of the fanbase needs to wake up and realize that. Yea, you’ll have nearly unlimited resources and one of the highest salaries in the country, but the expectations and pressure that come with that simply make this job undesirable for any coach in an already well established program.

Izzo wouldn’t take this job. Schyer wouldn’t take this job. Hurley wouldn’t take this job. Nobody is leaving one of the blue bloods (or one of the programs knocking on the door of that club) to come to Kentucky. Hell, I doubt you’d even convince Pearl to leave Auburn to come here.
KY while being down currently isn’t that far removed from a historic and dominant 6 year run. UCONN finished 4th in the BIG EAST a conference that just added Pitino at St Johns and Penn States Coach at Georgetown. Big East is a much better basketball conference then the SEC and Hurley won’t ever make close to the amount of money KY would pay at UCONN or anywhere else.

Disagree. I don’t think the Big East is as good of a basketball conference. Hasn’t been since Louisville jumped ship. The quality of athlete and basketball player is much higher in the SEC.
Athlete probably basketball players not even close. That’s the whole problem with CAL at Kentucky. He isn’t getting enough basketball players instead he gets great athletes who haven’t developed or never will into good players

Reactions: bigbluedon
Michelson isn’t just “known for recruiting” though. He’s Few’s lead assistant and handles a lot of the Xs and Os stuff and in-game adjustments. He’s also their lead scout when prepping for opposing teams. The dude is good.

The fact that you think Kentucky is too good to hire an assistant from another program, especially one as high level as Gonzaga, is why this program is where it is.
High level program like Gonzaga? 😆

• Haha
Reactions: catben and Jont0805
The SEC routinely produces high end basketball talent. You’re telling me Oats doesn’t have “great basketball players”? Or Pearl? Or Barnes? Or Williams? Come on now.
Not what I’m saying, the Big East is a very good league and is a better conference top to bottom then the SEC. Next season we will get the Big 12 Big East challenge let’s see how the conference does. The SEC has quality Coaches and players but to say they are better when a Big East team won the title and had another in the elite 8 is wrong and the SEC routinely performs poorly in the Dance.

There’s no “singular guy” that can come in and replace Cal and be an ostensibly better or even similar fit.

Personally, I don’t want to go after one of the “big name” coaches once Cal leaves. I’d like to go get a younger (mid 30s to very early 40s) coach from a mid-major level that can run some really modern, creative offensive and defensive stuff.

Let Cal take in a GM role where he can help in recruiting and Basketball Operations stuff to ensure the biggest recruits still want to come to Kentucky. Because as much as many of y’all like to bash Cal, I have no doubts that his players (perhaps outside of 1 or 2 over his entire time at Kentucky) want to play for him and trust him to do what’s best for them.

For my “dream list” of candidates that fit this category it would be:

1) Drew Valentine (25 yo, Loyola HC)
2) Brian Michaelson (41 yo, Gonzaga assistant and lead recruiter)
3) Richie Riley (40 yo, South Alabama HC and EKU grad)
That’s the worst list I’ve ever seen. Thanks for the laugh.

I think there’s room for him in a “GM” type role. I think inside of the next ten years the majority of competitve programs are going to have a position like that. Somebody that doesn’t do the on court stuff but is a “personnel handler”. Somebody who helps out the athletes on the roster as well as is constantly “recruiting” them to not transfer (which you have to do these days).

I just don’t think one person (especially an older coach) has the energy or mental capacity to do EVERYTHING that they have to do these days. Let Cal deal with the kids in terms of keeping them happy and being an NIL liaison (as well as keep an eye on future transfers from other teams) and let the younger head coach do the Xs and Os and be your talent identifier that opens the recruitment of kids. Then the GM steps in and helps close the deal with the NIL stuff.

And yes, I agree that Kentucky is really only a 10 year job. The fan base’s expectations are simply too unrealistic and simply too impatient to last longer than that. Not to mention having dinosaurs for a President and AD that are constantly at odds with your athletic programs can age you quickly too.
We need Cal as far away from this program as possible after he is gone coaching. Period.

Kentucky is absolutely a lateral move from UConn. UConn has been absurdly more successful since the turn of the century than Kentucky has. Hurley is going to get a raise after this season as well and will always have a much easier path to a high seed while at UConn while still being able to recruit high end talent.

Kentucky simply isn’t nearly as good of a job as many of y’all allow yourself to believe. The rest of the fanbase needs to wake up and realize that. Yea, you’ll have nearly unlimited resources and one of the highest salaries in the country, but the expectations and pressure that come with that simply make this job undesirable for any coach in an already well established program.

Izzo wouldn’t take this job. Schyer wouldn’t take this job. Hurley wouldn’t take this job. Nobody is leaving one of the blue bloods (or one of the programs knocking on the door of that club) to come to Kentucky. Hell, I doubt you’d even convince Pearl to leave Auburn to come here.
Put the bottle down and go to bed. Your mom might let you use the computer tomorrow if she doesn’t know you’ve been drinking. You couldn’t be more off base than with the horse crap above.

So who, that is currently at a major program and had success, do you think is going to be willing to take the Kentucky job? Hurley isn’t leaving UConn for Kentucky because that’s a lateral move. Oats is Billy Clyde 2.0 (just wait till he leaves Bama and all the stories come out).
The salary might alter the lateral move thing!

Lol! Pearl would come here in a heartbeat!

Guys, shoots the lights out is a one day troll that hates all things UK, understand he is not a fan. He has made race an issue on other threads.
He is Only here trying to draw you into one of his outlandish discussions. Best bet is to put him on ignore.

Guys, shoots the lights out is a one day troll that hates all things UK, understand he is not a fan. He has made race an issue on other threads.
He is Only here trying to draw you into one of his outlandish discussions. Best bet is to put him on ignore.
Oh, he’s not just a “one day troll”, instead the weirdo is here every day trolling on a level so obsessive that it’s downright creepy. He just constantly creates new accounts to try to make it appear as if it’s someone new.

Which, unfortunately, is why putting him on ignore won’t work …it won’t block the new name he’ll have tomorrow.

Yes, because I’m not looking for one of the “big name” guys that this board always likes to throw around. Y’all change your flavor of the month too damn often for me. One week it’s Scott Drew, the next it’s Dan Hurley, no clue who it’ll be next week or next month.

Why not go after somebody young and hungry?
Young and hungry? Let's go after that Beard Meets Food guy from YouTube. He's young and definitely hungry. He can handle the spotlight!

• Haha
Reactions: Zissou87
There’s no “singular guy” that can come in and replace Cal and be an ostensibly better or even similar fit.

Personally, I don’t want to go after one of the “big name” coaches once Cal leaves. I’d like to go get a younger (mid 30s to very early 40s) coach from a mid-major level that can run some really modern, creative offensive and defensive stuff.

Let Cal take in a GM role where he can help in recruiting and Basketball Operations stuff to ensure the biggest recruits still want to come to Kentucky. Because as much as many of y’all like to bash Cal, I have no doubts that his players (perhaps outside of 1 or 2 over his entire time at Kentucky) want to play for him and trust him to do what’s best for them.

You're clearly a troll and clearly contradict yourself. You blasted me in a super old Nate Oats thread I made that Nate Oats won't make a final 4. That you don't want a one hit wonder. That you want someone who has tournament success. And yet you make a thread about wanting a young coach who is not proven. Are you SCHIZO?

If the Kentucky job came open, I’m confident we would have multiple candidates to choose from. This I am not concerned with. People act like we won’t be able to find anyone? We will need to turn them away in droves. It’s coaching basketball, being a salesman. Plenty to pick from

I called it.

Even in your best efforts to remain anonymous, you always have a way of letting that seedy "Leadbelly feel" come to the surface.

46511bfdf31eef02e7d348e120ec09d3c6f6c736.gif
It seems that whenever you have differences with a somewhat new poster, your go to is, he must be Leadbelly. Why are you so concerned about Leadbelly.

So all the guys who have been doing better than Cal at lesser school can’t come in and replace Cal with the UK machine and money behind pushing them? You’re clueless.

Here’s the “modern offense” crap again.

The modern offense that everyone has been using for 50 years.

But we need a clueless coach to fill a job that’s not open.

It seems that whenever you have differences with a somewhat new poster, your go to is, he must be Leadbelly. Why are you so concerned about Leadbelly.
Because 95% of the time, it is Leadbelly.

He created dozens of accounts mimicking posters, posting inappropriate gifs, etc. You're a guy who seems to value decency, so I think you would have lost it back then when Leadbelly was running amuck before the Mods had to threaten legal action.

Reactions: Montana81

Your batshit crazy but wishing everyone Happy Easter includes the trolls to, so Happy Easter.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Because 95% of the time, it is Leadbelly.

He created dozens of accounts mimicking posters, posting inappropriate gifs, etc. You're a guy who seems to value decency, so I think you would have lost it back then when Leadbelly was running amuck before the Mods had to threaten legal action.
Yeah, evidently Leadbelly was before my time. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT