ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s the reality…

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootTheLightsOut

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2023
There’s no “singular guy” that can come in and replace Cal and be an ostensibly better or even similar fit.

Personally, I don’t want to go after one of the “big name” coaches once Cal leaves. I’d like to go get a younger (mid 30s to very early 40s) coach from a mid-major level that can run some really modern, creative offensive and defensive stuff.

Let Cal take in a GM role where he can help in recruiting and Basketball Operations stuff to ensure the biggest recruits still want to come to Kentucky. Because as much as many of y’all like to bash Cal, I have no doubts that his players (perhaps outside of 1 or 2 over his entire time at Kentucky) want to play for him and trust him to do what’s best for them.

For my “dream list” of candidates that fit this category it would be:

1) Drew Valentine (25 yo, Loyola HC)
2) Brian Michaelson (41 yo, Gonzaga assistant and lead recruiter)
3) Richie Riley (40 yo, South Alabama HC and EKU grad)

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Joined today.

18 messages.

Already vouching for a Gonzaga assistant coach to take over the most prestigious program in the country.

Looks legit.
And yet here you are offering no substantive reason why he shouldn’t? Why would Michaelson be a bad hire? Please, do tell.

Joined today.

18 messages.

Already vouching for a Gonzaga assistant coach to take over the most prestigious program in the country.

Looks legit.
Imaging having 35k posts and still know nothing about the game you clearly spend too much time on message boards talking about 😂

Reactions: kl40504
There’s no “singular guy” that can come in and replace Cal and be an ostensibly better or even similar fit.

Personally, I don’t want to go after one of the “big name” coaches once Cal leaves. I’d like to go get a younger (mid 30s to very early 40s) coach from a mid-major level that can run some really modern, creative offensive and defensive stuff.

Let Cal take in a GM role where he can help in recruiting and Basketball Operations stuff to ensure the biggest recruits still want to come to Kentucky. Because as much as many of y’all like to bash Cal, I have no doubts that his players (perhaps outside of 1 or 2 over his entire time at Kentucky) want to play for him and trust him to do what’s best for them.

Those guys would get eaten alive here.

Those guys would get eaten alive here.
Based on…what? What are you basing that on? The fact that you don’t pay enough attention to CBB to actually know who they are? Pitino was at freaking Providence before he came to UK and he did fine lol. It’s not like Providence is some super high pressure working environment.

Who would you rather have?

Based on…what? What are you basing that on? The fact that you don’t pay enough attention to CBB to actually know who they are? Pitino was at freaking Providence before he came to UK and he did fine lol. It’s not like Providence is some super high pressure working environment.

Could have sworn Pitino was coaching the Knicks when we hired him.

I called it.

Even in your best efforts to remain anonymous, you always have a way of letting that seedy "Leadbelly feel" come to the surface.

46511bfdf31eef02e7d348e120ec09d3c6f6c736.gif
I’m serious, let’s actually talk about this. Why in the world do you think none of those guys could be successful at Kentucky? Or do you truly have no useful thoughts to offer on the subject?

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I said it in another thread that I’d like the next coach to be younger and hungry. Someone who has had success at their previous spot and can use the UK resources to win some titles. I also don’t care if they want to use their time at UK to showcase for an NBA gig. Being the coach at UK is not a long term job, I think Cal was right that it’s a 10 year job.

Who that is, I don’t know.

Very much disagree on the Cal part. No one can do what happened 10-15, but post 15 has not been special. I also think when he leaves, him and UK need a nice long break. Both parties seem tired of one another.

Terrible ideas every one of those coaches and CAL needs nothing to do with KY Basketball after he is gone

I’m serious, let’s actually talk about this. Why in the world do you think none of those guys could be successful at Kentucky? Or do you truly have no useful thoughts to offer on the subject?
In all seriousness, I'm open to making a change. I'd have to analyze those guys, but I'd be at least open to exploring some options, including your guys.

Is that fair?

I said it in another thread that I’d like the next coach to be younger and hungry. Someone who has had success at their previous spot and can use the UK resources to win some titles. I also don’t care if they want to use their time at UK to showcase for an NBA gig. Being the coach at UK is not a long term job, I think Cal was right that it’s a 10 year job.

Who that is, I don’t know.

Very much disagree on the Cal part. No one can do what happened 10-15, but post 15 has not been special. I also think when he leaves, him and UK need a nice long break. Both parties seem tired of one another.
I think there’s room for him in a “GM” type role. I think inside of the next ten years the majority of competitve programs are going to have a position like that. Somebody that doesn’t do the on court stuff but is a “personnel handler”. Somebody who helps out the athletes on the roster as well as is constantly “recruiting” them to not transfer (which you have to do these days).

I just don’t think one person (especially an older coach) has the energy or mental capacity to do EVERYTHING that they have to do these days. Let Cal deal with the kids in terms of keeping them happy and being an NIL liaison (as well as keep an eye on future transfers from other teams) and let the younger head coach do the Xs and Os and be your talent identifier that opens the recruitment of kids. Then the GM steps in and helps close the deal with the NIL stuff.

And yes, I agree that Kentucky is really only a 10 year job. The fan base’s expectations are simply too unrealistic and simply too impatient to last longer than that. Not to mention having dinosaurs for a President and AD that are constantly at odds with your athletic programs can age you quickly too.

That’s your list?

Holy shit

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
That’s your list?

Holy shit
Yes, because I’m not looking for one of the “big name” guys that this board always likes to throw around. Y’all change your flavor of the month too damn often for me. One week it’s Scott Drew, the next it’s Dan Hurley, no clue who it’ll be next week or next month.

Why not go after somebody young and hungry?

I think there’s room for him in a “GM” type role. I think inside of the next ten years the majority of competitve programs are going to have a position like that. Somebody that doesn’t do the on court stuff but is a “personnel handler”. Somebody who helps out the athletes on the roster as well as is constantly “recruiting” them to not transfer (which you have to do these days).

I just don’t think one person (especially an older coach) has the energy or mental capacity to do EVERYTHING that they have to do these days. Let Cal deal with the kids in terms of keeping them happy and being an NIL liaison (as well as keep an eye on future transfers from other teams) and let the younger head coach do the Xs and Os and be your talent identifier that opens the recruitment of kids. Then the GM steps in and helps close the deal with the NIL stuff.

And yes, I agree that Kentucky is really only a 10 year job. The fan base’s expectations are simply too unrealistic and simply too impatient to last longer than that. Not to mention having dinosaurs for a President and AD that are constantly at odds with your athletic programs can age you quickly too.
I’ve gone back and forth on Cal sticking around in some role, and your points make sense for dealing with players and NIL. One thing I know, I wouldn’t want Cal to have much say in who the next would be here.

If he were strictly there for marketing and NIL deals, it could be a positive.

Reactions: Montana81
Why are they terrible ideas? I’d be willing to bet you didn’t even know who they were 😂
My point exactly KY needs a guy from a major program who’s had success knows what they doing and getting into. My Top 3 have and continue to be Vogel Hurley and Oats.

Pitino took Providence to a Final Four and then won some playoff games with the Knicks before he took the job. The guys you've mentioned haven't won anything.
...but I don't pay enough attention to college basketball.

I’ve gone back and forth on Cal sticking around in some role, and your points make sense for dealing with players and NIL. One thing I know, I wouldn’t want Cal to have much say in who the next would be here.

If he were strictly there for marketing and NIL deals, it could be a positive.
Yea I’m not really a fan of Cal having much say so either. But then again, I’m not a huge fan of Barnhart having much say either 😂

My point exactly KY needs a guy from a major program who’s had success knows what they doing and getting into. My Top 3 have and continue to be Vogel Hurley and Oats.
Lol of course those are the three you’d want. The fact that you’d include Oats tells me 1) you follow very little CBB outside of whomever the flavor of the month is and 2) your opinions aren’t to be taken seriously.

Pitino took Providence to a Final Four and then won some playoff games with the Knicks before he took the job. The guys you've mentioned haven't won anything.
...but I don't pay enough attention to college basketball.
Michaelson is Few’s top assistant and lead recruiter. All the high draft picks they’ve had in the last few years have been because of him lol. But nooooooooooo, he’s had no success 😂

And the other two have been successful in their roles. Extremely successful. Pitino was fortunate enough to be in a multi-bid conference in a pretty populated area in terms of talent. He had opportunities there that these guys simply haven’t because they’re in smaller conferences that aren’t multi-bid leagues generally and don’t have the resources that even a Providence does.

Doesn’t mean they’re incapable or not good coaches. In fact, they’re some of the more innovative coaches right now because they’re getting more out of less.

So who, that is currently at a major program and had success, do you think is going to be willing to take the Kentucky job? Hurley isn’t leaving UConn for Kentucky because that’s a lateral move. Oats is Billy Clyde 2.0 (just wait till he leaves Bama and all the stories come out).

Yes, because I’m not looking for one of the “big name” guys that this board always likes to throw around. Y’all change your flavor of the month too damn often for me. One week it’s Scott Drew, the next it’s Dan Hurley, no clue who it’ll be next week or next month.

Why not go after somebody young and hungry?
The dude that coaches the local middle school where I live is pretty awesome. Think we have a shot?

I'm going to go with experience for $400 Alex
Experience doesn’t equate to success. Billy Clyde had “experience”. We saw how that worked for us.

Dan Mullen had “experience” before taking over Florida’s football program. How’d that work out for him? Experience is a word thrown out by people who have no clue what really goes in to being a successful coach or leader.

Michaelson is Few’s top assistant and lead recruiter. All the high draft picks they’ve had in the last few years have been because of him lol. But nooooooooooo, he’s had no success 😂

And the other two have been successful in their roles. Extremely successful. Pitino was fortunate enough to be in a multi-bid conference in a pretty populated area in terms of talent. He had opportunities there that these guys simply haven’t because they’re in smaller conferences that aren’t multi-bid leagues generally and don’t have the resources that even a Providence does.

Doesn’t mean they’re incapable or not good coaches. In fact, they’re some of the more innovative coaches right now because they’re getting more out of less.
What is "extremely successful"? They combine for one NCAA tournament appearance.
On the topic of, what makes NBA draft picks such a success? I thought we were wanting to get rid of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT