ADVERTISEMENT

Helluva play by Leary and Davis

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
How did Eli Cox not make contact with a single Akron player when they blitzed right over him? Watch the replay - Ford is trying to block 2 guys, Davis picks up one briefly and Eli is in the middle of the field and doesn't touch anyone?

Starting to agree that Yenser isn't getting much out of these guys. Sure looked lost on that play. Thank God, Leary made a hero play and Davis made a beautiful run after the catch.

Focus on 75 and 80 on that play. 75 runs some interference that free's Davis up. Then sprints down the field. 75 & 80 are running step by step with Davis as he goes into the end zone. That is some big boys moving fast. Robinson motions Davis to come his way, and throws a great block that allows Davis to get up field. I have watched it a few times already and still see more stuff happen. A very lucky, and exciting play.

How did Eli Cox not make contact with a single Akron player when they blitzed right over him? Watch the replay - Ford is trying to block 2 guys, Davis picks up one briefly and Eli is in the middle of the field and doesn't touch anyone?

Starting to agree that Yenser isn't getting much out of these guys. Sure looked lost on that play. Thank God, Leary made a hero play and Davis made a beautiful run after the catch.
I watched the replay several times wondering the same thing. First, credit to Akron for disguising the stunt. The linebacker froze Cox in place until the end had driven Ford back a step. By the time the linebacker swung outside, the end had penetrated deep enough that Cox couldn’t make the switch. I don’t know if Cox was to blame for not picking up the stunt sooner and doubling up on the end or if Ford was to blame for releasing the end when the linebacker broke outside. Either way, excellent timing on Akron’s part to take advantage of the obvious passing situation. And absolutely brilliant work by Leary to Houdini out of that trap.

I don't know about greatest, but it's up there.
Ahem, ahem . . . It was just as I drew up on a napkin and discreetly passed to a grad assistant at the QB Club meeting two weeks ago.

I thought they’d save it for league play, but I’m not a Coach . . . .

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Focus on 75 and 80 on that play. 75 runs some interference that free's Davis up. Then sprints down the field. 75 & 80 are running step by step with Davis as he goes into the end zone. That is some big boys moving fast. Robinson motions Davis to come his way, and throws a great block that allows Davis to get up field. I have watched it a few times already and still see more stuff happen. A very lucky, and exciting play.
Cox nearly over ran him. Lol

Get a QB like Leary and already having to worry about him getting hurt. #73 looks like he may turn out to be a really good player. Kind of looks more like an OT to me the way he plays. Good to see him sticking up for #0 at this early in his career. But we need to see improvement every week of taking care of the QB. Whatever five does that best, I think Leary can lead us to a great season.

I watched the replay several times wondering the same thing. First, credit to Akron for disguising the stunt. The linebacker froze Cox in place until the end had driven Ford back a step. By the time the linebacker swung outside, the end had penetrated deep enough that Cox couldn’t make the switch. I don’t know if Cox was to blame for not picking up the stunt sooner and doubling up on the end or if Ford was to blame for releasing the end when the linebacker broke outside. Either way, excellent timing on Akron’s part to take advantage of the obvious passing situation. And absolutely brilliant work by Leary to Houdini out of that trap.
Nice analysis. So, Akron confused our OL and they didn't compensate. Since this has been going on for 2 years, maybe coaching really is the problem. No excuse for veteran players to completely go the wrong way, whiff or be that confused so often. None whatsoever

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Nice analysis. So, Akron confused our OL and they didn't compensate. Since this has been going on for 2 years, maybe coaching really is the problem. No excuse for veteran players to completely go the wrong way, whiff or be that confused so often. None whatsoever
Not to let the oline off the hook, but I’d also be curious to know what the receiver’s responsibility was on the play, because when the corner blitzed, he was the man left open. It *looked* like Leary waited a half beat for the receiver to break off his route and take the easy yardage. But the D penetrated before the receiver looked back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT