ADVERTISEMENT

Key to Victory - Leary & the receiving core

STL_Cat

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2011
Let’s face it, Kirby Smart is not going to let Ray Davis go absolutely nuts on them the way he did on Florida. I just can’t envision UGA will allow even half that from Davis. They’re going to put 8 guys in the box, play man to man on the receivers, and make Leary and the receivers beat them.

It’s going to be on Leary to make good choices with the ball, and the receivers need to start catching the damn ball. Has to happen Saturday or we go down hard.

Thoughts?

I agree. And even if they get it together still may not be enough.

Georgia has home field and better overall talent and better coach. It's gonna take a very strong performance to upset them.

Also minimizing Bowers and their passing game. I *think* we can contain their run game, but I think Bowers crushed us last year or the year before or something like that.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Georgia struggled with zone read last week vs a poor Auburn team, so they aren't as stout as before. That said - I agree.

Wrs need to see the right hole in the zone and sit. Leary makes tons of anticipation throws (a good thing and major upgrade from Levis) and is almost always throwing to the right hole. So he and the wrs need to be on the same page.

Then the wrs need to catch the damn ball too

Big Blue is right - we need to be able to run. Even though we can't expect to a repeat of Saturday's performance, one thing I really like is going into Saturday, we were a pass heavy offense (around 58% I think) and our play action wasn't being taken extra seriously. After Saturday, the play action should be a lot more effective to create better passing opportunities. Of course, Leary has to be much more accurate and BB / Key need to have better hands, but I think they will and the play action should be a much better weapon.

I agree with pretty much all the points made in this thread so far, but I predict our defense is gonna give us a real chance to win this game. I’m not sold on Carson Beck and I think Walker, D-Jack, and our secondary are gonna be the difference in this one.

We need our receivers to step up and help Leary. If they catch the ones they’re supposed to then his misses will go down. There are few things more disheartening to a struggling QB then when you throw a great ball and it’s dropped.

It won’t only be UGA that keys on Davis. Every team the rest of the season won’t respect the passing game knowing our receivers can’t even catch a cold.
In all honest, who wants to catch a cold?
Do you? I damn sure dont.
Go Cayuts….

It won’t only be UGA that keys on Davis. Every team the rest of the season won’t respect the passing game knowing our receivers can’t even catch a cold.

Here’s the thing though… our receivers (particularly Key) CAN catch balls, they just haven’t been. They need to get to work, but it ain’t like they’re devoid of talent. It’s gonna happen sooner or later. So let our opponents disrespect them. They’ll get burnt.

Reactions: K86
Maybe I’m setting myself up for disappointment, but I’m starting to believe we are going to win this game.
I think this week the passing game gets on track. Maybe I just want to believe it so badly that I’ve talked myself into nonsense, but I think we are going to win.

I think if cats were playing at home would help put us over.

I still think Davis gets 100 yds. Confident in Our D. UGA is just deeper all around. Passing and recivers just gotta show up.

Yeah I wasn’t suggesting we abandon even trying to establish the run. We absolutely should. But I do think at some point they’re going to be so keyed in on Davis, it’s going to be crucial that Leary and his receivers can be on the same page when opportunities present themselves.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I think the running attack was so good against UF that Coen didn’t have to open up the playbook. He used the TEs quite effectively in ‘21, particularly on play action so there’s no reason to think he won’t. I really feel that the staff thought we’d be at this point heading to Athens and are holding a lot of things close to the vest, I expect we’ll throw everything we have at them.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Even if we can't run well at first, coen needs to stick with it. Last trip down, he quickly abandoned the run after about 3 handoffs to crod. We have to give Ray opportunities
Definitely. Stick to primarily the run the whole game and whatever happens happens. I just think passing a lot this game will get us in all kinds of trouble. Will have to keep them honest but rely on our defense and let the offense run the clock. I think Davis is too good to be held down the whole game. May be frustrating but could see him getting loose at least a few times.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT