ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were up 15 with <3 to go. Of course it gets slow.

Here are the actual facts:

-Scored 81 vs a team that gets shots late clock
-Covered
-Nobody played particularly great, except AB
-Mitchell had easily his worst game, but battled
-We made our run when we finally got aggressive defensively & running them off. Good D creates easy O.
-8/20 from 3. 16 assists. 50% from field
-9/7 from DJ, & very nice 2H. 30 min. He’s fine

Oh, and 17/11/3blk for Bradshaw, the +/- winner, in his first true rotation/minutes game.

Dunno man. You guys expecting full time NBA All Star game type play will certainly be miserable, entirely unrealistic.

We haven’t “reverted” to Oscar ball. Definitely hate the forced entries to Tre, but that’s designed as a play starter, not a post iso. Young guards gotta learn to abandon when it’s not there, and when it is we gotta be cutting/moving, and Mitchell was just off today in his reads compared to typical.

Good win. First game of the season with our full lineup (of main guys). Cover ✅ 💰. Hope some of ya’ll can salvage a ruined weekend.

Go Cats! UNC next 🙌🏽

Last edited:
Running hard, nonstop, bombing 3s, scoring 100 a game, and counting on 5 dudes to shoot 45% or better from behind the line isn't really sustainable.

The last two aren't, but the first three are "doable". Whether that works or not is another matter.

Reactions: roguemocha
The last two aren't, but the first three are "doable". Whether that works or not is another matter.

As fun as it was, it absolutely isn’t sustainable. We need bigs.

This is a guard-driven & shooting team. That’s not gonna change, despite us perhaps not playing *exactly* as we did early with no true center or presence, and rolling pure video game ball out of necessity.

This same game, last 2 years, would have been 67-52. Have some perspective

Our guards took 40/69 shots, and 30% of our shots were 3s, well below season but, still way above last 2 season averages, despite being Penn’s primary defensive focus.

Ivy League/Princeton offense based teams are so unique on both ends. Talent is so marginal but the better teams are just tough to truly dominate in that scheme.

Challenge the 3 or get whipped back door, after getting screened 8-10x a possession, is something you see once a year & for much of this team, was brand new.

Good win, lots of good/bad to learn from, and onto the next.

As fun as it was, it absolutely isn’t sustainable. We need bigs.

This is a guard-driven & shooting team. That’s not gonna change, despite us perhaps not playing *exactly* as we did early with no true center or presence, and rolling pure video game ball out of necessity.

This same game, last 2 years, would have been 67-52. Have some perspective

Our guards took 40/69 shots, and 30% of our shots were 3s, well below season but, still way above last 2 season averages, despite being Penn’s primary defensive focus.

Ivy League/Princeton offense based teams are so unique on both ends. Talent is so marginal but the better teams are just tough to truly dominate in that scheme.

Challenge the 3 or get whipped back door, after getting screened 8-10x a possession, is something you see once a year & for much of this team, was brand new.

Good win, lots of good/bad to learn from, and onto the next.
Posts like this are why I love your stuff. Succinct and easy to read. Great breakdown without writing 17 paragraphs.

I still hate you as a person though.

Reactions: 80 Proof
I mean.

They know he can't pitch right now. Right??? Good f'ing god.

I don't know the economics of it all, but I'm assuming they also believe he's going to bring in a TON of money (tickets, regional packages, merchandise, Japanese market, etc.) But the challenge there is that you're getting hit with the luxury tax on the salary too - so you can't look at it 1:1.

As a Braves fan, I like it. $70M a year for a 30-year old DH. Lol.

Reactions: bbonds
Ohtani moves a lot of merch. And tbh the Dodgers are playing a different game than everyone else. They have bottomless pockets.

Good for Ohtani. Makes one wonder what. impact it will have on contracts going forward. I’m glad the (my) Cubs didn’t go that far for him. He may sell some more jerseys and tickets but it sure seems like it will handcuff you for a while.

That’s wild and I’m glad the Cubs didn’t do that. Just dumb and hamstrings you for a decade deep pockets or not. Good for him though.

Long 2s:

We took 12’ish based on Twitter/radio? No clue if that’s correct. Increased for sure, but not concerned just yet. Too many probably, but it’s far from a design situation like years past imo.

Edwards had a few, made 1 (the worst one) But 2 of them were open baseline 8 footers…that’s not a long two to me, although I definitely wish he’d attack, despite the fact he’s shown zero evidence that’s even in his bag? Bottom line, a wide open mid from a LOTTO guy (?). Just make the gd shot.

Adou had the 1. Awful shot in transition with nobody down low, but he gets a pass on 1-2 Js a game from me, earns them as the #1 (only?) true effort based/physical guy we have.

Tre had a couple faces in middle of zone, but that’s a good shot to me. Have to take those or the high post show will eventually be ignored. Plus, he’s a good shooter.

Reeves? I’m good with any shot he ever takes. Period. Jmo

The rest were basically Dilly. 60% + of the total. What you gonna do? That pull-up been money overall and a guy like him you kinda have to let him cook, but definitely wish he’d just take the 3. Passes up far too many that end up as a wild long pull…but again. Rob is Rob.

But Props to Cal for letting him play through his Dillyness, came through in the end, 3-5 from 3, and the 😘 cover. If nothing else, his MISTAKES are 97% aggression based/trying to make a play.

Beats the hell out of turnovers forcing post feeds to an already-doubled man, which happened too much today (early), and in recent years, was basically option #1.

So really, it’s Dilly & Edwards leading that trend. I don’t like it, but also have little concern “that’s our offense now/again”, bc it’s not.

And it has zero to do with Bradshaw SO FAR, imo. The lane was wide open with him in most of the time. We tried to feed/iso him maybe 3-4x, always late in clock, and he dished back out on all but 1.

Penn had a mission to immediately double Tre, who’s been brilliant facilitating offense/shots on touches. He had a bad game, 4a/3to, and wasn’t swift in recognition. Happens.

Chill with the slow down, post based, long 2 offense stuff. Sometimes it’s just the game or opponent. Our guards were far from COOKING today, and last. Makes a difference in attempts & confidence. The Wild fire sequences come from a combo of Defensive stops + quick makes…we’ve had few of either last 2 while fighting through new rotations, subtractions, and additions.

It’s not a “trend”, YET. Our studs are our guards & I’m pretty certain that’s not gonna change, but I’ll be watching. If it becomes a reality, I’ll be right here to dog & criticize it.

Solid win any way you wanna look at it.

—#IUBB 😂

Last edited:
I guess I “should” want Arkansas to be a decent to good team to get us a solid W for the resume, but watching them slog their way to likely 6-4 right now is giving me some joy

Not sure why, but I’ve always had a soft spot for Arkansas. Like many here do LSU, and one conspicuous absentee USCJR. Maybe it’s because they’re the only team in our conference I actually respect. God I hated those 90’s teams, but respect nonetheless.

On a personal level, I pretty much hate the SEC anymore too. Love the money, tho.

Arkansas just happens to be the one I don’t mind. Used to be LSU, too, until they hired a known child murderer as their head football coach.

You know, if you build really hot, clean fires, you never really have to deal with the ashes. It’s been several years since I’ve cleaned out my fireplace. And at least two cords of oak and hickory.

Last edited:
-- Thinking about Ohtani and his Baby Ruth-like success at the plate and mound, and started to think about crossover athletes and which NBA players could have made for sick college football or NFL players. Most sports junkies already know about Allen Iverson and his high school football mix is legitimately sick, but did you know Big Baby Davis was a high school running back? Imagine trying to tackle that lardass. Check out this amazing 4K footage (spoiler alert: he's like really big and the kids trying to tackle him are just little guys):

-- I'd have to think some insane athlete like Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook would have the best odds for success (plus those two just kind of have that football vibe). Of course, it'd probably be some relative no-name that has the most success. Matt Barnes led the country with 28 TDs as a WR his senior year in high school and was planning on setting up tryouts with NFL teams after his early NBA struggles before he caught on.

-- Willie Cauley-Stein played WR in high school, did you know that?..

-- We'll probably never see it, but imagining the greatest crossover potential ever: say you have a Steph Curry-like NBA player playing for the Knicks that takes Sundays off to be a Patrick Mahomes-like QB in the NFL for the Jets. He doesn't practice during the week for the NFL, with NBA on TNT just randomly showing him in his NBA locker room pre-game looking through that Sunday's playbook and game plan, watching film on his laptop, and chatting with his NFL coaches by phone, and then shows up on Sundays and balls out. That'd probably be the second biggest sports story of all-time behind The Kissing Bandit (why did they just let her run onto the field? lol):

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT