ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Picked up a six each of White Rajah and Black Rajah from http://www.thebrewkettle.com/ last weekend at Jungle Jims in Cincy while on a Ballast Point run (for Habanero and Grapefruit Sculpin) and was very impressed. Both were very good IPAs, but the Black seemed better - the added flavor from the darker malts added some complexity to it that was missing in the White.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Went to Floyd County Brewery in New Albany, IN yesterday. They have been open a month. Excellent beer, but meh food. I had a Belgian Dark Ale called BarBEARian (their theme was old castle hunting type stuff) that I would put in the abbey ale category. My wife had a blonde ale that I can't remember the name of. Both had a ton of flavor and great body. I would rate them better than Cumberland & BBC, similar to Against The Grain, & behind New Albanian in the Louisville area.

Smuttynose = Great!

Red Hook brews decent suds, but I've yet to drink a so-called "knock it out of the park" by those guys. In my humble opinion, their Pumpkin was okay this year, although nothing distinctive.

Lagunitas Sucks = damn good.
The Red Hook ESB isn't something I think is perfect, it's just one I know I'll enjoy. It's my "base line". Not too sweet, great taste, etc. I know it's in a niche so I'm not expecting a direct replacement. Kentucky Ale is pretty good but I think I'll look for Lagunitas, partly because their "Jam in the Van" vids on youtube are good. If you're into indy and alternative music their vids are really nice and I enjoy them. I know it's marketing but it's something I enjoy and their products are good. Call me a sucker.
I'm waiting until I haven't been drinking anything to try the Smuttynose Brown Dog. When the guy at the store says, "Oh that's good stuff!" I want the first one to be special.:smiley:

The Red Hook ESB isn't something I think is perfect, it's just one I know I'll enjoy. It's my "base line". Not too sweet, great taste, etc. I know it's in a niche so I'm not expecting a direct replacement. Kentucky Ale is pretty good but I think I'll look for Lagunitas, partly because their "Jam in the Van" vids on youtube are good. If you're into indy and alternative music their vids are really nice and I enjoy them. I know it's marketing but it's something I enjoy and their products are good. Call me a sucker.
I'm waiting until I haven't been drinking anything to try the Smuttynose Brown Dog. When the guy at the store says, "Oh that's good stuff!" I want the first one to be special.:smiley:
I've yet to sample a Red Hook ESB here in Austin. Please remember your distributors play a huge role within this 3-tiered system we currently endure (read: tolerate). Thus far, I've personally sampled 6 different Red Hook styles, and have not yet drank one which I might describe as a total home run. Having said that, I will certainly keep my eyes open for a Red Hook ESB.

Reactions: We-Todd-Did
Try a New Belgium Abbey. It will up the complexity of that malty taste you like in Red Hook ESB and help you step up your taste for more complex beers.

Reactions: We-Todd-Did
Spent last weekend in Asheville. Lots of good beer down there. I'm officially on the "sour" bandwagon now, too.

Wicked Weed is excellent, across the board.
Beering-in-Asheville-6-197x350.jpg

Went to Floyd County Brewery in New Albany, IN yesterday. They have been open a month. Excellent beer, but meh food. I had a Belgian Dark Ale called BarBEARian (their theme was old castle hunting type stuff) that I would put in the abbey ale category. My wife had a blonde ale that I can't remember the name of. Both had a ton of flavor and great body. I would rate them better than Cumberland & BBC, similar to Against The Grain, & behind New Albanian in the Louisville area.

We had the opposite experience with Floyd County - the beers were fairly average, but the food was good. The BarBEARian had an "off" flavor when we were there - like it had been fermented at too high of a temperature - and the rest of the beers were just "ok". That was a week or so after they opened and they kinda had to throw things together in a hurry after their original brewmaster bailed pre-opening, so what we had might have suffered from "first batch jitters". The pricing was weird too - a flight of 4 3oz pours cost more than a 16oz pour of any single beer - first time I've ever seen that, probably because its stupid.

You need to make your way over to Great Flood in the Highlands if you haven't already. The guys there do really good stuff.

Anyone else checked out HopCat yet in Lexington? I had lunch down there today. Nice variety of KY brews as well as lots of different taps. Could probably spend all day down there sampling if allowed.

Crack fries were good. They've got a pretty decent pub food menu, but let's face it, no one is really doing there for the food. Neat set up though with the "patio" that looks out over the atrium in Victoria Square.

Mm
beer_312274.jpg

Go find this beer. Goodness. Never even heard of a feijoa until I found this beer

I would never try that if I just looked at the packaging. Can't believe someone in marketing thought this was a good idea.It probably tastes good but the presentation needs more.

I just realized how snoody that sounded. Please forgive.

I almost got this the other day but couldn't pull the trigger and just stuck with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (always a safe choice).

Was it good?

I tried to get tickets to El Segundo Brewery's launch party of Steve Austin's Broken Skull IPA (you get to drink for a few hours, meet Stone Cold and have your own case of the new beer) but the thing is sold out.

I almost got this the other day but couldn't pull the trigger and just stuck with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (always a safe choice).

Was it good?

I tried to get tickets to El Segundo Brewery's launch party of Steve Austin's Broken Skull IPA (you get to drink for a few hours, meet Stone Cold and have your own case of the new beer) but the thing is sold out.

I held off buying some, had it before and was nice amber beer. I was looking for a variety pack with the Celebration Ale and only saw 6 packs and 12 packs of it alone. *guess it doesn't come in a sampler
That brewery does some good beer. If you like a strong beer , bitter for my palate, they make the Bigfoot Barley-wine.

I picked up a Sam Adams winter variety pack to give a try. Containing Boston Lager, Winter Lager, Old Fezziwig Ale, Holiday Porter, Chocolate Bock and Sparkling Ale.

I have some family bugging me to come out and visit them in SoCal I'll have keep the local brew in mind.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
I am ready for some winter warmers/holiday ales. I like a few of these when watching the old black and white versions of A Christmas Carol.

SamSmith-WinterWelcome.jpg

Tried a sour beer for the first time last night. Definitely a whole different flavor. It was an Anderson Valley Gose.

Any other fairly easy to find sour beers that I should try out?

Ones you can find at most Liquor Barns:

Duchess de Bourgogne - sweet as well as sour
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Timmerman's Lambics - Lambics tend to be VERY sweet, almost like a sour-ish candy
Any brand of gueuze - my personal favorite style. Tart as a mf'er, probably the most "sour" of any style. I like tart beers more so than farmhouse style ales which are also considered sour.
New Belgium La Folie - Sour Brown Ale. Also very tart.
An American Wild Ale of any brand tends to lean towards "funk" and tart

Reactions: Willy4UK
Tried a sour beer for the first time last night. Definitely a whole different flavor. It was an Anderson Valley Gose.

Any other fairly easy to find sour beers that I should try out?

Rivertown Brewery's "Divergent" is a nice sour ale available at Liquor Barns. Rivertown also makes a sour red ale called "Soulless," but I don't like that nearly as much.

I've found Grimm's 'Psychokinesis' on draft around Louisville, and it's excellent.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Well, so much for this IPO. Constellation Brands, brewers of Corona, Modelo and Pacifico, is purchasing Ballast Point for $1 Billion.

Yes, you read it correctly. One Billion Dollars.

That move makes sense for Constellation Brands. They are the world's largest wine company. The only beer in their portfolio was the U.S. rights to Corona, Modelo, etc. that A-B Imbev had to sell off in order to acquire those brands. A-B Imbev still owns those beers in other markets. Maybe Constellation won't mess with a good thing unlike what some of the macrobrewers have done in the past. I wonder what a brewer like Sierra Nevada would be worth?

Last edited:
Los Angeles Times Beer Quiz: "Craft versus Conglomerate: Do you know where your beer is from?"

I got 9/10 correct.
Well, 7 for me. I will not be buying without checking now. Yeah, I really try to buy local.

Speaking of local, I have a question. I tried Country Boy Shotgun Wedding and Blue Stallion Dunkel last weekend and was impressed. I stop by Liquor Barn and neither was there. Are these not bottled or is it a retailer issue?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT