ADVERTISEMENT

Grading Kentucky's Portal Transfers

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
My two cents below.

I don't know if it will be a trend or is just a blip for this year, but I like UK taking more starters from SEC programs over MAC players. They come from better S&C programs and have experience in conference, not to mention practicing against other SEC players. The next phase in UK's NIL evolution is taking more starters from SEC programs who are players who project as ALL-SEC quality even if it's second or third team.

Offense
Marginal improvement, but only due to the lack of a true difference-maker. Importantly, UK also did not lose any difference-maker to a portal departure. On paper the offense shows no signs of taking a step back next year.
  • The offensive line adding a tackle and guard from fellow SEC programs, at a minimum, helps depth but probably provides more than that. The OL improved significantly last year and should improve again a little more next season.
  • I've already stated my ambivalent feelings on the RB position.
  • WR/TE transfers look like an upgrade over the departures, but no game-changers to pair with current game-changer Barion Brown. Honestly, securing Brown, Key, and Single is its own big success. Getting Porter back is good for more depth. The WR room is uniformly better than 2023's.
  • QB is a wild card. Vandagriff played behind great QBs, but in QB Transfer Portal Bingo UK has hit big on Levis and struck out on Leary who this time last year seemed like he'd be a stud. Large unknown for me and I'm beyond assuming success or failure - just "wait and see" mode. Beau Allen returning to play back-up is great depth addition.
Defense
Only two players taken which could indicate UK feels good about it's current crop of players, and they felt like they could be selective in the portal. A lot hinges on the development of current underclassmen DBs this off-season for how the defense looks on the field.
  • Getting Dumas-Johnson for WLB is a big get to replace Wallace, but realistically if he was elite he'd go to the NFL before transferring to a different college (maybe he just loves college?). I don't expect any drop-off which contributes to UK's rush defense being very good again next season.
  • Story at DB is important because it looks like he could play as many as three positions. He fills the void left by Geiger and is probably a little better. That's important since UK had a true freshman as second string for two of those positions this past season. I can't help but wonder why - maybe for good reasons - UK wasn't able to snag a field CB out of the portal.
  • Keaton Wade's departure is the single biggest loss for UK. Given how UK plays its OLBs, the depth at that position, and the return of other front seven players I think UK will be fine in 2024. His loss would probably be felt more in 2025.
The portal opens again for a few weeks in May. If UK loses Coen there would probably be an exodus of offensive players. UK will regardless have its own attrition after spring ball even if Coen stays, and so will have roster openings for any new (or existing) players in the portal at that time. I'm cynical there would be any game-changers available in May; however, the increasing emphasis of the portal suggests that may not be true.

I'll hang up and listen.

The 2 UGA guys you pretty much nailed, BV certainly looks the part, very good athlete, at present the only negative is he hasn't done it yet.

JDJ is an elite downhill run supper from tackle to tackle, as plays get wider his effectiveness drops off. Not to bad, but from elite to good. In coverage it's a different story, he really struggled, and when he cam back he couldn't get the young guys off the field. He will be a very good situational player, but will struggle on passing downs. He just can't keep up with TE or RB. But an awful lot of ILB struggle with that.

At least we can expect BV to have fewer passes batted down by DL since it looks like he's a good 3-4" taller, if not more. So frustrated by the times we had a good play called and Leary's pass would be swatted down. I'm hoping BV is more consistent with the easy pitch and catch throws. Ideal if he can read coverage presnap which neither Leary or Levis ever did.

My two cents below.

I don't know if it will be a trend or is just a blip for this year, but I like UK taking more starters from SEC programs over MAC players. They come from better S&C programs and have experience in conference, not to mention practicing against other SEC players. The next phase in UK's NIL evolution is taking more starters from SEC programs who are players who project as ALL-SEC quality even if it's second or third team.

Offense
Marginal improvement, but only due to the lack of a true difference-maker. Importantly, UK also did not lose any difference-maker to a portal departure. On paper the offense shows no signs of taking a step back next year.
  • The offensive line adding a tackle and guard from fellow SEC programs, at a minimum, helps depth but probably provides more than that. The OL improved significantly last year and should improve again a little more next season.
  • WR/TE transfers look like an upgrade over the departures, but no game-changers to pair with current game-changer Barion Brown. Honestly, securing Brown, Key, and Single is its own big success. Getting Porter back is good for more depth. The WR room is uniformly better than 2023's.
  • QB is a wild card. Vandagriff played behind great QBs, but in QB Transfer Portal Bingo UK has hit big on Levis and struck out on Leary who this time last year seemed like he'd be a stud. Large unknown for me and I'm beyond assuming success or failure - just "wait and see" mode. Beau Allen returning to play back-up is great depth addition.
Defense
Only two players taken which could indicate UK feels good about it's current crop of players, and they felt like they could be selective in the portal. A lot hinges on the development of current underclassmen DBs this off-season for how the defense looks on the field.
  • Getting Dumas-Johnson for WLB is a big get to replace Wallace, but realistically if he was elite he'd go to the NFL before transferring to a different college (maybe he just loves college?). I don't expect any drop-off which contributes to UK's rush defense being very good again next season.
  • Story at DB is important because it looks like he could play as many as three positions. He fills the void left by Geiger and is probably a little better. That's important since UK had a true freshman as second string for two of those positions this past season. I can't help but wonder why - maybe for good reasons - UK wasn't able to snag a field CB out of the portal.
  • Keaton Wade's departure is the single biggest loss for UK. Given how UK plays its OLBs, the depth at that position, and the return of other front seven players I think UK will be fine in 2024. His loss would probably be felt more in 2025.
The portal opens again for a few weeks in May. If UK loses Coen there would probably be an exodus of offensive players. UK will regardless have its own attrition after spring ball even if Coen stays, and so will have roster openings for any new (or existing) players in the portal at that time. I'm cynical there would be any game-changers available in May; however, the increasing emphasis of the portal suggests that may not be true.

I'll hang up and listen.
Great points agree and appreciate ya taking the time.

Probably aren't done yet. After spring there should be another flurry of transfers and I would look for us to take at least a couple more on defense. A CB and maybe another LB.

Interesting that our starting lineup could have out of 22 players:

2 from UGA
1 from Bama
1 from USC
1 from Florida
1 from tOSU
1 from Tennessee
1 from NIU
1 from UAB

That's 40% of the lineup and it could still increase.

The defense was super young last year. I hope they develop or we could be in real trouble. Loosing Wallace hurt really really bad. I'm not sold on Dumas just yet either. His situation reminds me of Leary in that he was injured and never returned to form. I just hope he has plenty left in the tank.

No opinion on the offense until that nomad Coen decides if he is in or out.

Reactions: kywildcats4life
The defense was super young last year. I hope they develop or we could be in real trouble. Loosing Wallace hurt really really bad. I'm not sold on Dumas just yet either. His situation reminds me of Leary in that he was injured and never returned to form. I just hope he has plenty left in the tank.

Dumas has a broken arm, simple brake, he came back late. He saw his snaps were going to be dropping and moved on. He is elite old school run stopper, his weakness is playing in space which is a big deal in today's game. Great locker room guy and leader.

Nomad Coen 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Ky grandpa
My two cents below.

Offense
Defense

I'll hang up and listen.
A great thing that 5 star Vandagriff has two years left. Will be somewhat of an adjustment year like Leary had. Vandagriff will be set to go game one in year two with a years experience in this system. Seems like a perfect fit with Hamdan in that he is a really good passer but can run well also. With the focus on the OL protecting him, his size, running ability and all the coaching he has gotten at GA he looks to have a better chance to succeed more in year one than Leary did.

My two cents below.

Offense
Defense

I'll hang up and listen.
Lost me at no difference makers on Offense. The second highest rated QB to ever play at UK and a OSU #2 RB. I’m fairly confident at least one of these guys WILL make a difference.

Not to be a debbie downer but bare in mind Beck will be gone after 2024 and the Dawgs may decide to come calling for Brock in the portal in 2025, especially if he has a big year here. That's just the world we live in today.

Don't think there would any interest either side. I would be more concerned with the draft than him returning to UGA if he as a big year.

At least we can expect BV to have fewer passes batted down by DL since it looks like he's a good 3-4" taller, if not more. So frustrated by the times we had a good play called and Leary's pass would be swatted down. I'm hoping BV is more consistent with the easy pitch and catch throws. Ideal if he can read coverage presnap which neither Leary or Levis ever did.

Leary's tipped pass problem wasn't his height. Plenty of guys his size or shorter managed way better. It was 1) him not being great at finding passing lanes and 2) the OC not helping him via the way we walled up our pass blocking

An important get I think along with Dumas is Allen returning. If Hamden is going to involve the quarterback in the run game then if Allen is indeed number 2 then he’d better be ready to play as well as the number 1.

Allen returning.
It might not be a popular or majority opinion, but I doubt there will be much drop off between Vandergriff and Allen.

In his last season at Kentucky, Allen impressed me in his Spring Game performance and his limited snaps in the regular season. He is heady, experienced and athletic enough to gain yards in the ground game.

Not trying to create a QB controversy, but we find ourselves in our best quarterback depth condition since Steven Johnson briefly was second string.

Last edited:
It might not be a popular or majority opinion, but I doubt there will be much drop off between Vandergriff and Allen.

In his last season at Kentucky, Allen impressed me in his Spring Game performance and his limited snaps in the regular season. He is heady, experienced and athletic enough to gain yards in the ground.

Not trying to create a QB controversy, but we find ourselves in our best quarterback depth condition since Steven Johnson briefly was second string.
Agreed!!!

In his last season at Kentucky, Allen impressed me in his Spring Game performance and his limited snaps in the regular season. He is heady, experienced and athletic enough to gain yards in the ground.

I tend to agree. Given his age and experience, he was a helluva pick up for a backup, especially since he's walking on. This might be the best 3 QB duo I've seen at UK.

Hopefully, the new OC will install a reasonable number of plays that both backups can run so they don't come in and look like they haven't practiced.

Biggest gripe with LC was at no time did I think any of our backups could provide anything more than straight handoffs or bubble screens. No excuse for that, imo.

Hopefully, the new OC will install a reasonable number of plays that both backups can run so they don't come in and look like they haven't practiced.

Biggest gripe with LC was at no time did I think any of our backups could provide anything more than straight handoffs or bubble screens. No excuse for that, imo.
I don’t think Beau Allen would have come back without some assurance of competing to be number one and if number 2 be counted on to run the same offense as number 1. I don’t think he came back to hold a clipboard. I don’t think people should automatically pencil him in as the backup. He has a whole season more of starting snaps than Vandergriff and I don’t think that needs to be forgotten about. He’s not the same player physically he was when he left. I hope it makes for heavy competition in the spring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT