ADVERTISEMENT

Good article on Faulkner.

Would a college OC at a P4 school leave the school in February for another college job? That seems kind of crappy.

I wonder if Stoops will have to go to the NFL or to former OCs who are not in OC positions to fill the spot if Coen actually signs with the Bucs.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Grumpy, our resident GA fan, says Faulkner was a "decent" recruiter but very good recruiter with QBs.

Wait a minute, his position limited his ability to actually recruit. He could only contact them on campus, he was never the main recruiter on anyone. I believe Beck and Vandagriff were the QB signees, maybe Stockton, but Bobo and Stockton go back to a pre teen Stockton. The term Decent was used because of his rule limiting ability to recruit. He never went on income visits or on site evaluations for UGA because he wasn't an on field coach. I and many others hated seeing him leave, but it added another page to his resume.

Would not want Faulkner because if he has any success he will be off to UGA as soon as their OC gets a head coaching job which will likely be one or two years at the most.

Reactions: JPFisher
Wait a minute, his position limited his ability to actually recruit. He could only contact them on campus, he was never the main recruiter on anyone. I believe Beck and Vandagriff were the QB signees, maybe Stockton, but Bobo and Stockton go back to a pre teen Stockton. The term Decent was used because of his rule limiting ability to recruit. He never went on income visits or on site evaluations for UGA because he wasn't an on field coach. I and many others hated seeing him leave, but it added another page to his resume.
Didn't realize Faulkner was an on-campus only guy.

Didn't realize Faulkner was an on-campus only guy.

He was his time in Athens, don't know for sure, but I think he is on the road guy at Tech. But that's a tough job. Paul Johnson ruined Tech's relationship with every high school in the state, he looked down on HS coaches and in turn they were not very cordial when he wanted to visit a kid. Collins tried to mend fences but they didn't like him much better. But Key is making inroads, Faulkner is personable I expect he will do pretty well on the road. Kids liked him when they visited Athens during his time there.

One that would be interesting is the WR coach at OSU. The 5* WR fall all over him, he would have to be pretty good with the passing game. Not sure how he would be as a play caller, but he sure fills the recruiter part everyone is concerned with. FWIW, Monkey was our best OC, and he was not a good recruiter, and seldom went on the road recruiting. So if it is the right guy, get him and let someone else do the recruiting.

I don’t think you could worry about that. You want the best if he’s the one
I want the offense to have consistency. Won't ever get the best out of the players our coaches bust their asses to recruit if we're installing a new system literally every year.

Reactions: hmt5000
Exactly!

What's so horrible if he does a great job here & would be considered by a top 5 program?
Because there's no guarantee he does anything great before bolting. Coen did *alright* this year compared to his first stint and got interviews from at least three NFL teams and one college HC position (or at least there was interest from BC).

UK and Stoops desperately need consistency on offense. We need a coach like Gran who is good, has done his share of moving, and is ready to stick around. Coen inherited a run-only team. Scan had a similar system but it was too complex for college players. Back to Coen. Then another flash in the pan guy. Then another.

It doesn't matter if we have Lincoln Riley or Sean McVay as an OC if we can never recruit to one dedicated system and have our guys learn the nuances of that system. We can't keep giving our athletes whiplash.

Anyone that is good enough to get us where we want to be will always be a risk to take another job elsewhere. That is just how things are. I'll take the good guy over the guy who will stay here forever. Continuity matters little if you suck. Get the right guy! When he leaves, go get the next right guy! Saban did just that numerous times throughout his time at Alabama. There's tons of guys out there that run the pro spread. By going with a popular system, there will be no need for radical changes when an OC leaves and we have to find another. We do need to get away from the McVey shit though, because that is an NFL system run by NFL guys that won't stick in the college game. Plus, they are rather limited in number.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Let’s talk to Joker. He’s a guy who is settled, a Kentucky guy with proven offensive success with balance and could recruit will with the Big Dog

Go get Tommy Rees. And tell him when Stoops retires/takes another job after another season or two, the HC position is his. There's your continuity.

• Haha
Reactions: yoshukai
Don't know but a college OC at a P4 school would leave the school in February for an NFL job. We have living proof of that.
Because of the schedule/playoffs, Jan-Feb is prime NFL hiring season. Should wind down the end of the month.

Would not want Faulkner because if he has any success he will be off to UGA as soon as their OC gets a head coaching job which will likely be one or two years at the most.
Anybody we get outside of Eddie Gran would always be looking for that next step. It’s the nature of OC’s. If he has an established relationship with Vandagriff. I’m all for giving him a shot. He has a developing track record so we could do worse. We have to hire for right now, not 4 or 5 years down the road. We have to hire the guy who’s going to get the most out of the guys we have now. If whoever we hire loves it here and stays beyond a couple of years then we recruit Accordingly.

UGA could take any position coach or coordinator from us in a NY minute.

And Rees would leave in a hot minute if ND came calling, what's your point?

This brings up an interesting question in my head, on average how long do offensive coordinators stay at one school in Div 1 football? I posed the question to my friend Bard and this is what he responded with:

The average number of years an offensive coordinator stays at one school in Division 1 college football is around 1-2 years. This information comes from a few different sources:

• Zippia: Their analysis of 1,040 offensive coordinator resumes indicated an average tenure of 1-2 years.
  • FootballScoop: This website frequently discusses coaching moves and mentions the "high turnover" among offensive coordinators, further supporting the short average tenure.

This brings up an interesting question in my head, on average how long do offensive coordinators stay at one school in Div 1 football? I posed the question to my friend Bard and this is what he responded with:

The average number of years an offensive coordinator stays at one school in Division 1 college football is around 1-2 years. This information comes from a few different sources:

• Zippia: Their analysis of 1,040 offensive coordinator resumes indicated an average tenure of 1-2 years.
  • FootballScoop: This website frequently discusses coaching moves and mentions the "high turnover" among offensive coordinators, further supporting the short average tenure.

We just gotta get with the times and get used to how it works in major college football

UGA could take any position coach or coordinator from us in a NY minute.

I don't know about that, I guess Bobo could leave at any time, but he stayed with Richt 14 years, 7 as OC. Did the head coach thing with little success. Had 2 bad years as OC at AU and SC. He is no longer a hot name, so he isn't going to be at the top of many teams list.

Exactly!

What's so horrible if he does a great job here & would be considered by a top 5 program?
If UGA is coming after him after the season it will have been a good hire. GA isn't going to settle so if the Dawgs or another top program want our guy we will be happy with the hire and he did a good job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT