ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

The rise in number who attend just to get wasted has risen dramatically. Ways to reel it in, limiting where you can get alcohol, how many you can purchase, price some of the yahoos out, reduce attendance. It has jumped the shark.

Reactions: Tskware
Yep, there's gonna be a mutiny after this tourney. Zach Johnson, Horschel, Spieth have all gone after fans today now

Yea the WM craziness was fun when it started, but it has gotten out of control now. Too much fan stuff now. Happy Gilmore was a great movie, but I don't want that on the PGA.

Can someone with some influence get Steve Sands off of every PGA broadcast. Oh my God he is awful. Cannot stand listening to him.

Last edited:
So, to follow up a previous post, I did get to play Pebble Beach last week

First, it is hard to concentrate because of all the beauty on the ocean side and the stunning houses on the other side of the fairways. Like any new experience, I learned a lot of things about the course. It is surprisingly forgiving off the tee. I am not a particularly good driver but hit most of the fairways. (Unfortunately, it was very wet especially in the rough where they could not mow so we played lift clean and place in the rough.) Secondly, the back 9 is considerably longer than the front and several of the back 9 holes play uphill. Accordingly I played the gold tees on the front and moved up to the white on the back (which were still almost 200 yards longer than the gold on the front)

Third, if you short side yourself at PB, you are well and truly SCREWED. I learned this the hard way several times. 2nd hole (par 5) was a prime example - hit my third shot just barely off the green and had no more than about 30 feet to the pin. On a normal course, I would be thinking I could possibly make the chip, but in this instance, the green sloped severely away from me so I flopped my pitch shot maybe 2 feet only to see it race 25 feet past the hole – and the caddy complimented me on my good touch! 🤣 I probably could have hit twenty shots and never got it inside of 15 feet. Had the same experience on several other holes. Number 8 and 9 are back breaking par 4s. Second shot on 8 is the famous shot across a cliff and shockingly, I did not handle that shot well. :rolleyes: I actually hit a pretty solid drive on 9 and still had 230 to the hole. I at least scraped a bogey on that hole.

No. 14 is ridiculous, we played it at 520 yards and it is the hardest part five of that length I have ever played. In fact PB is the only course I can remember playing that a par 5 (14) is the #1 HCP hole. It plays uphill making it play longer than the yardage, and the green is shaped like a volcano with a huge bunker on the left side and an effective putting surface about the size of your average bathroom on the top of the volcano. Naturally I hit my approach shot long and had absolutely nothing from behind the green. That was another triple bogey.

The houses are unbelievable. Best example was the huge home right behind #10 right overlooking the ocean that used to be owned by Gene Hackman. The caddy told me that it sold in 2006 for $36 million, then they divided the lot where the nanny house was, and turned that into a second residence. Owner of the Golden State Warriors lives on 18, Charles Schwab on #4, etcetera. Quite nice cribs all around. Of course, 17 Mile Drive has dozens of similar homes, overlooking the ocean, Spyglass, Spanish Bay and Cypress Point.

FWIW, all the locals told me Spyglass Hill is the toughest course on the peninsula. Can't wait to go back again to play some of the other courses on Monterey. It is not a cheap round of golf, but it was a bucket list item for me.

So, to follow up a previous post, I did get to play Pebble Beach last week

First, it is hard to concentrate because of all the beauty on the ocean side and the stunning houses on the other side of the fairways. Like any new experience, I learned a lot of things about the course. It is surprisingly forgiving off the tee. I am not a particularly good driver but hit most of the fairways. (Unfortunately, it was very wet especially in the rough where they could not mow so we played lift clean and place in the rough.) Secondly, the back 9 is considerably longer than the front and several of the back 9 holes play uphill. Accordingly I played the gold tees on the front and moved up to the white on the back (which were still almost 200 yards longer than the gold on the front)

Third, if you short side yourself at PB, you are well and truly SCREWED. I learned this the hard way several times. 2nd hole (par 5) was a prime example - hit my third shot just barely off the green and had no more than about 30 feet to the pin. On a normal course, I would be thinking I could possibly make the chip, but in this instance, the green sloped severely away from me so I flopped my pitch shot maybe 2 feet only to see it race 25 feet past the hole – and the caddy complimented me on my good touch! 🤣 I probably could have hit twenty shots and never got it inside of 15 feet. Had the same experience on several other holes. Number 8 and 9 are back breaking par 4s. Second shot on 8 is the famous shot across a cliff and shockingly, I did not handle that shot well. :rolleyes: I actually hit a pretty solid drive on 9 and still had 230 to the hole. I at least scraped a bogey on that hole.

No. 14 is ridiculous, we played it at 520 yards and it is the hardest part five of that length I have ever played. In fact PB is the only course I can remember playing that a par 5 (14) is the #1 HCP hole. It plays uphill making it play longer than the yardage, and the green is shaped like a volcano with a huge bunker on the left side and an effective putting surface about the size of your average bathroom on the top of the volcano. Naturally I hit my approach shot long and had absolutely nothing from behind the green. That was another triple bogey.

The houses are unbelievable. Best example was the huge home right behind #10 right overlooking the ocean that used to be owned by Gene Hackman. The caddy told me that it sold in 2006 for $36 million, then they divided the lot where the nanny house was, and turned that into a second residence. Owner of the Golden State Warriors lives on 18, Charles Schwab on #4, etcetera. Quite nice cribs all around. Of course, 17 Mile Drive has dozens of similar homes, overlooking the ocean, Spyglass, Spanish Bay and Cypress Point.

FWIW, all the locals told me Spyglass Hill is the toughest course on the peninsula. Can't wait to go back again to play some of the other courses on Monterey. It is not a cheap round of golf, but it was a bucket list item for me.
Never played any of them but have heard Spyglass is really the crown jewel of them all. Guy I work with played them all last year and said the same thing.

Reactions: Tskware
Never played any of them but have heard Spyglass is really the crown jewel of them all. Guy I work with played them all last year and said the same thing.
Definitely want to play that sometime. Wonder if they have ever had any USGA events? I know they have used that in the AT&T rotation.

Speaking of LIV, after two tournaments, their TV ratings remain microscopic. But, they did pick up a media outlet to carry their Friday round . . . drumroll please . . . Caffeine!! An online media provider that almost no one has heard of.

LIV has a number of top players, no one doubts that (although Bubba Watson and Phil are openly talking of retirement). But tbh, have not seen what LIV has accomplished other than hurting the PGA tour and enriching guys like Phil and Rahm, who hardly needed the money.

It just seems to me that LIV is trying mightily, at enormous cost, to pound a square peg into a round hole. I don't know anyone who is dying to see team golf become a thing, other than at Ryder and Presidents Cup. I just don't see a market for it, now, or ever. Saudis can keep spending unlimited money in an attempt to sports wash, but to what effect, I still have yet to understand.

Speaking of LIV, after two tournaments, their TV ratings remain microscopic. But, they did pick up a media outlet to carry their Friday round . . . drumroll please . . . Caffeine!! An online media provider that almost no one has heard of.

LIV has a number of top players, no one doubts that (although Bubba Watson and Phil are openly talking of retirement). But tbh, have not seen what LIV has accomplished other than hurting the PGA tour and enriching guys like Phil and Rahm, who hardly needed the money.

It just seems to me that LIV is trying mightily, at enormous cost, to pound a square peg into a round hole. I don't know anyone who is dying to see team golf become a thing, other than at Ryder and Presidents Cup. I just don't see a market for it, now, or ever. Saudis can keep spending unlimited money in an attempt to sports wash, but to what effect, I still have yet to understand.

Spot on. Kim reportedly is getting anywhere from $5M to $10M signing bonus to hack it around for 3 days which was a no brainer, as he wouldn't have sniffed anything on the PGAT, and his sponsor exemptions would have dried up quickly.

AK not having the best comeback performance this week at the LIV but didn’t really know what to expect. Heard he had no social media account nor knew what Trackman was so I am not sure what world this guy has been living in. Sounds like he has gotten his life together and is putting in the work on his game. Guy is talented but at his age not sure he can put in the time needed to get his game even half way back to its old form.

AK not having the best comeback performance this week at the LIV but didn’t really know what to expect. Heard he had no social media account nor knew what Trackman was so I am not sure what world this guy has been living in. Sounds like he has gotten his life together and is putting in the work on his game. Guy is talented but at his age not sure he can put in the time needed to get his game even half way back to its old form.

Given his score, his "talent" leaves a lot to be desired, even with the layoff. My guess is even Tiger could have beaten him. Regardless, guaranteed money and he only has to play a 3 round exhibition, so he can shoot whatever he wants.

No foresight on the weather, making it 2nd or 3rd tournament with no Sunday finish.
AK was a novelty. We'll see how he develops.
No one watching live in LIV.
Angel Cabrera misses cut on Korn Ferry Argentina. Prison is not for everyone.
Great finish at LPGA.

Huge win for Austin Eckroat, holding off late charges from Erik Van Rooyen, Min Woo Lee, and Jake Knapp on the Tour this week.

One of the great stories we've seen! /cole

Professional Golf is absolute 💩, and the whole landscape saddens me greatly.

I don't deny that the PGA tour has been diminished by LIV. But what I don't understand (maybe you can enlighten me) is what was wrong with the PGA tour in 2021 and before that was so broke that needed fixing by LIV? I have yet to see anything accomplished other than pouring a bunch of money into golfer's pockets, including those remaining with the PGA, that were hardly hurting for cash anyway.

EDIT: Top of leaderboard was lacking star power for sure, but Eckroat won against a field that included half the Euro Ryder Cup team, so it is not fair to say he didn't beat anyone

Last edited:
I don't deny that the PGA tour has been diminished by LIV. But what I don't understand (maybe you can enlighten me) is what was wrong with the PGA tour in 2021 and before that was so broke that needed fixing by LIV? I have yet to see anything accomplished other than pouring a bunch of money into golfer's pockets, including those remaining with the PGA, that were hardly hurting for cash anyway.

It hasn't been diminished at all, not in the least. Great stories each and every week, and it is refreshing to see newbies (as we do each year) get their first win. Seeing Spieth, JT, Rory, Scheffler, get humbled is a nice change.

• Haha
Reactions: B.B.d.K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT