ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

WTF!! Was that Glover?

OT, going to California in February and will end up in Carmel for a few days. Has anyone played the Links at Spanish Bay? I am going to play somewhere, but Pebble is tied to staying at the resort properties, all the others you can play.

Last edited:
This will make a good film someday.

from a report in The Athletic that Yasir Al-Rumayyan, aka Andrew Waterman aka the chairman of LIV Golf aka governor of the Saudi PIF who is trying to strike a deal with the PGA Tour, may face a lawsuit for carrying out the wishes of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman with “the malicious intent” of “harming, silencing and ultimately destroying” the family of Saad Aljabri. Aljabri is a former Saudi intelligence chief who, if the bit about a six-man hit squad being sent to Canada to murder him happens to be true, MBS does not seem to like.

This will make a good film someday.

from a report in The Athletic that Yasir Al-Rumayyan, aka Andrew Waterman aka the chairman of LIV Golf aka governor of the Saudi PIF who is trying to strike a deal with the PGA Tour, may face a lawsuit for carrying out the wishes of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman with “the malicious intent” of “harming, silencing and ultimately destroying” the family of Saad Aljabri. Aljabri is a former Saudi intelligence chief who, if the bit about a six-man hit squad being sent to Canada to murder him happens to be true, MBS does not seem to like.
Yes, the Saudis are scary M fers to be in business with, or so I heard

• Haha
Reactions: CAT Scratch FVR
WTF!! Was that Glover?

OT, going to California in February and will end up in Carmel for a few days. Has anyone played the Links at Spanish Bay? I am going to play somewhere, but Pebble is tied to staying at the resort properties, all the others you can play.

Non-guests can call Pebble 24 hrs in advance to see if they have openings. You might try up to 2 days if the weather is iffy, and there are cancellations.

Based on early returns, Kevin Kisner is playing his way on to full time announcer status. He seems to be relatively free on weekends of PGA events, for sure.

Reactions: CAT Scratch FVR
Can Dunlap make history today? Last amateur to win a PGA event was 1991 when some hack named Phil Mickelson did it.

I remember when Phil won that event, everyone had heard of him, was labeled a "can't miss" talent and for once turned out to be 100% on target

Can Dunlap make history today? Last amateur to win a PGA event was 1991 when some hack named Phil Mickelson did it.

I remember when Phil won that event, everyone had heard of him, was labeled a "can't miss" talent and for once turned out to be 100% on target

He was nails. Watched him from 4th hole on. He lost a tee shot in the water and gave up his lead on 6 or 7 (forgot) and doubles. Came back with a birdie.

Sam Burns tried to get cute on 17 and hits the rocks giving Dunlap a 2 shot lead into 18.

Dunlap sprays drive right while Bezuidenhout birdies 18 possibly forcing a playoff.

Dunlap misses green right and has 2 to win. Makes about a 5 footer to seal it.

Kid didn't show emotion until he won. JT said something to him walking up 18 and seemed happy for him once he knew he wasn't winning and sounded like he was telling him to go get it.

He's only a sophomore. Does he skip the last 2.5 years of college to go pro? That's a long way from a degree. US Amateur champ and now a PGA title. 2 year exemption. It'd be tough to turn down. I assume he had some NIL money sponsorships.

He's only a sophomore. Does he skip the last 2.5 years of college to go pro? That's a long way from a degree. US Amateur champ and now a PGA title. 2 year exemption. It'd be tough to turn down. I assume he had some NIL money sponsorships.
He gone

He was nails. Watched him from 4th hole on. He lost a tee shot in the water and gave up his lead on 6 or 7 (forgot) and doubles. Came back with a birdie.

Sam Burns tried to get cute on 17 and hits the rocks giving Dunlap a 2 shot lead into 18.

Dunlap sprays drive right while Bezuidenhout birdies 18 possibly forcing a playoff.

Dunlap misses green right and has 2 to win. Makes about a 5 footer to seal it.

Kid didn't show emotion until he won. JT said something to him walking up 18 and seemed happy for him once he knew he wasn't winning and sounded like he was telling him to go get it.
JT asked him if that was the first spectators he'd ever hit before.

I would wager he goes LIV for the guaranteed bank, because he isn't winning on PGAT, and I doubt he is ready for the grind to make it there.
LIV makes all the sense in the world for him. From my understanding, he would have to give back the insurance money he made and LIV will give him the guaranteed money to pay it back, be able to play competitively again and make more than he would have staying retired and living off the policy.

Reactions: cole854
Whoever was just teeing of on 17 and was taking a leak in the trees behind the tee just got caught by a blimp doing it. Announcer than just proceeded to talk about it being secluded back there.

Man Rory has really changed his tune about the LIV tour over the last few months. Is he setting up his default to the LIV tour with his comments in the media?

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
^^^Jay just landed a $3B investment for the tour, so, yes.....better than ever.

TFP d'bag.

Lmaooooooooooooooooo. So it's all about the money now? Gotcha.

Literally everything you've predicted, has been wrong. LIV is irrelevant, already dead, has zero effect on the Tour, PGA is better than ever, etc, etc.

Literally none of that is true, and actually, it's the COMPLETE OPPOSITE. Guess you missed Rory's comments, and see what's actually taking place here. LIV won, the PGA is responding the best they can with their tail between their legs, and it's a complete and utter shit show.

There isn't one knowledgeable person in the golf world who agrees with your "nothing to see here" take. Why? B/c it's total head-in-sand fantasy land, in which you typically reside. 🤡

Last edited:
Man Rory has really changed his tune about the LIV tour over the last few months. Is he setting up his default to the LIV tour with his comments in the media?
I am done with Rory. He can go to LIV for all I care. My interest in golf is waning. I hate the new tournament setups. The rich get richer.

At this point, I am literally scratching my head trying to figure out what the real value of professional golf is. How can it possibly be worth $2.3B to SSG, plus god knows how many hundreds of millions PIF has flushed down the toilet?

I believe I read that based on TV ratings and ticket sales, professional golfers were already the most overpaid athletes in the world. And that was before LIV decided to give guys like Tyrell Hatton $60M. Hatton is a fine player to be sure, but also has never won a major and has won ONE PGA tour event in his 10 plus years as a pro, and that was four years ago. So $60M for his resume?? In what world does that make any sense?

Another question that has already been raised by the SSG deal is that the PGA players are now "equity owners" of PGA Enterprises, only it has not been explained how that equity works, can it be sold, will there be dividends, what happens when you retire or lose your tour card? None of this makes a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: parrott
At this point, I am literally scratching my head trying to figure out what the real value of professional golf is. How can it possibly be worth $2.3B to SSG, plus god knows how many hundreds of millions PIF has flushed down the toilet?

I believe I read that based on TV ratings and ticket sales, professional golfers were already the most overpaid athletes in the world. And that was before LIV decided to give guys like Tyrell Hatton $60M. Hatton is a fine player to be sure, but also has never won a major and has won ONE PGA tour event in his 10 plus years as a pro, and that was four years ago. So $60M for his resume?? In what world does that make any sense?

Another question that has already been raised by the SSG deal is that the PGA players are now "equity owners" of PGA Enterprises, only it has not been explained how that equity works, can it be sold, will there be dividends, what happens when you retire or lose your tour card? None of this makes a lot of sense to me.

Not sure I agree w/ any of this. Every "PGA Tour" player has to earn his stripes to keep their cards. With winning comes bigger paychecks, more endorsements, etc. Hatton is a terrible example because he forfeited this and is now on a "contract" on an event circuit that is funded by money we can't comprehend. He is definitely not earning his money, for example.

PGA players are definitely not overpaid in regards to what they receive for their accomplishments in comparison to the big 3 sports. If they don't play well, they don't get as much money...pretty simple. The perfect comparison is pro tennis.

The new contract the tour has just landed will pretty much insure the financial legs of the tour are solid for a long time to come. Jordan lays it our pretty well here...

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/i...ays-pif-alliance-not-needed-ssg-pga-tour-deal

Well, there's really nothing to agree or disagree with me. At this point I simply don't understand the economics. Pro golf just commands no where near the attention that the major team sports do. It is a niche sport with a golden audience demographic, i.e., well to do middle aged men (mostly) with lots of discretionary income. Cadillac has been a prime sponsor of The Masters for years, that tells you a lot right there.

I did read the Jordan Spieth interview and it didn't clear much up for me. I think we both agree that really is no business model for LIV other than economic chaos.

Well, there's really nothing to agree or disagree with me. At this point I simply don't understand the economics. Pro golf just commands no where near the attention that the major team sports do. It is a niche sport with a golden audience demographic, i.e., well to do middle aged men (mostly) with lots of discretionary income. Cadillac has been a prime sponsor of The Masters for years, that tells you a lot right there.

I did read the Jordan Spieth interview and it didn't clear much up for me. I think we both agree that really is no business model for LIV other than economic chaos.

Best I understand it, the new for-profit will eventually have all the digital media, media rights, services, player equity or anything the Tour can sell.

Still not seeing what returns billions yet.

Reactions: Tskware
As streaming services need live content, demand for golf will go up. PGA, Korn Ferry, anything they own. LIV’s current problem is the public does not naturally gravitate to CW. Their social media presence will increase with true marketing professionals at the helm.
Imagine tweeting a photo of Morikawa and Pau Gasol, American/Asian and Spaniard, and not tagging them to attract those international audiences? Amateur hour. Small things done right can only improve their market share.

Best I understand it, the new for-profit will eventually have all the digital media, media rights, services, player equity or anything the Tour can sell.

Still not seeing what returns billions yet.

Me either, but never thought the Baltimore Orioles would be worth $1.7B either.

Just for fun, I Googled total attendance for PGA last year (7.4 million) and MLB (almost 71 million), so at least live attendance explains some of it. OT a bit, but read where the Dodgers have a chance to draw 4,000,000 fans this season (they have been averaging 3.8M or so anyway). If you figure each fan is on average worth $100 a game with tickets and concessions, that is $400M right there in revenue just in live attendance. No wonder they can buy up all the players.

Can you imagine being able to say you hold the course record at Pebble Beach…..

JB Holmes looks like he will miss his third cut in a row since coming back to the PGA. Not sure he will ever get his game back. Also, I think Josh Teater has missed every cut since returning to the PGA tour this season. Pulling for both of the locals, but early returns not looking good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT