ADVERTISEMENT

Gen Z and anxiety

Seems like it's because this group or demographic of gen z kids have never been punched in the face for their actions. They wouldn't dare if they knew real consequences of getting up in someone's grill who doesn't give 2 shots about opinions or feelings.
When I used to have a Twitter account I would see plenty of videos of kids in this generation not only getting punched in the face, but getting knocked out cold.

Reactions: thabigbluenation
Seems like it's because this group or demographic of gen z kids have never been punched in the face for their actions. They wouldn't dare if they knew real consequences of getting up in someone's grill who doesn't give 2 shots about opinions or feelings.

I by no means won every fight I was in. I've been knocked down. I've lost my share. But you knew if approached me or any of my friends (and we knew the same about other groups) if you starting mouthing off we were swinging.

That proved to be a huge deterrent for everyone. Winning a fight but still getting clocked in the face hurt and was it worth it. Made us think. I feel like kids now don't know consequences like we did.

We had to search you out in person to talk shit face to face. Different times.
I don't condone violence but I agree that they need to get punched into reality. At least slapped into it.
I was never a fighter. Always tried to stay away from it. I am the peacemaker. Had a guy one time who didn't know when to stop and I lost it. Maddest I've ever been. Got the cops and MPs called on me lol. I didn't like letting the dog out of me. First and only time I ever did. Hope I never have to again as it wouldn't be pretty for the guy on the other end.

Reactions: thabigbluenation
TerenceStampGeneralZod.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Freetaxreturn
We have records from antiquity of adults bitching and moaning about "kids these days." I distinctly remember being a kid when people were bitching and moaning about "kids these days." Now those kids have grown up and are bitching and moaning about "kids these days." All of this has happened before. All of this will happen again.

That's about as myopic and ignorant of a perspective one can have. If you think what we're seeing is bad now, wait until you see the generation of adults raised on iPad screens, closely followed by those raised in the metaverse.

I would say the anxiety has always been there but manifested in different ways.

In past generations anxiety/depression was bottled up and internalized until the internalizer snapped or died of a heart attack at 40 (real men don’t talk about feelings and emotions), masked via self medication with alcohol or drugs (have a drink to take the edge off, take some downers for my “nerves”) and there was a major social stigma surrounding mental health because our society and its penchant for only seeing black and white while dismissing shades of grey only thought there were two kinds of people - normal and crazy, when it reality, people come in all types between normal and crazy.

The differences we’re seeing with Gen Z amd Gen Alpha are a combination of living in the digital age where everyone has a platform to share their opinions with the masses and mental health is less stigmatized so more people are willing to speak out.

Finally, every generation is a little bit “softer” than the one before it, but generally more open to new ideas and changing social norms than the ones before it. For example, my generation took the taboo out of interracial dating but still were hostile towards gay folks. The one before me was hostile to interracial dating and gay folks. The one behind me doesn’t see either as taboo.

I’m sure this take is bad because I didn’t join the “Back in my day, we _____” opinion.

I would say the anxiety has always been there but manifested in different ways.

In past generations anxiety/depression was bottled up and internalized until the internalizer snapped or died of a heart attack at 40 (real men don’t talk about feelings and emotions), masked via self medication with alcohol or drugs (have a drink to take the edge off, take some downers for my “nerves”) and there was a major social stigma surrounding mental health because our society and its penchant for only seeing black and white while dismissing shades of grey only thought there were two kinds of people - normal and crazy, when it reality, people come in all types between normal and crazy.

The differences we’re seeing with Gen Z amd Gen Alpha are a combination of living in the digital age where everyone has a platform to share their opinions with the masses and mental health is less stigmatized so more people are willing to speak out.

Finally, every generation is a little bit “softer” than the one before it, but generally more open to new ideas and changing social norms than the ones before it. For example, my generation took the taboo out of interracial dating but still were hostile towards gay folks. The one before me was hostile to interracial dating and gay folks. The one behind me doesn’t see either as taboo.

I’m sure this take is bad because I didn’t join the “Back in my day, we _____” opinion.

No, I think your post falls under the “kids will be kids” umbrella. The “nothing to see here” crowd will appreciate it.

Not to minimize any of the above observations, but when it comes to college age kids, the lack of maturity in much of the population cannot be overstated...and some of us just don't grow up until later. There are lots of reasons for it, but i don't think it all has to do with parenting exclusively (surely, some cases have that feature). I also don't think the answer is mandatory military service, telling people what to do, making kids work on the farm at age 9 (nothing wrong with that, though) etc. I do think recognizing contributing factors is worthwhile, though so far the major perspective seems to be that it is society, social media, and other things we will never have a top down control on. Talking about it at least allows people to make potentially informed choices about their own lives, but no one else's (thank god).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT