ADVERTISEMENT

Gen Z and anxiety

Well. Gen X raised them so we effed up somehow.

Parents are too worried about their kid experiencing any sort of discomfort. It’s insane.

But please, post more podcast clips

Oh yeah, because the Great Depression, WWII, the Cold War, 911, etc. made for smooth sailing. LOL
And people back then dealt with anxiety and depression too. How many veterans from the ''war on terror'' and WW2, Vietnam, Korea. Have/had PTSD? How many boomers still look up at the sky when a plane passes by? How many people are afraid to get on an airplane still?

And people back then dealt with anxiety and depression too. How many veterans from the ''war on terror'' and WW2, Vietnam, Korea. Have/had PTSD? How many boomers still look up at the sky when a plane passes by? How many people are afraid to get on an airplane still?
Come on fathers, don't hesitate
Send em off before its to late
Be the first one on your block
To have your boy come home in a box

Country Joe and The Fish

Even if one doesn't like Charlie Kirk, go look at some of his youtube vids where he goes to college campuses and engages with "students" then realize they'll be running the show one day. God help us all. These minnows can't even hold a conversation without yelling or cursing. That's their coping mechanism when someone challenges their worldview. It's sickening and sad.

Even if one doesn't like Charlie Kirk, go look at some of his youtube vids where he goes to college campuses and engages with "students" then realize they'll be running the show one day. God help us all. These minnows can't even hold a conversation without yelling or cursing. That's their coping mechanism when someone challenges their worldview. It's sickening and sad.
I’ve work on college campuses for 25 years. Just like in life, those students are the fringe and a big time minority. I’ve come across very few students like that and I spent 8 years at one of the most liberal schools in the country.

Last edited:
My 19 year old handed her phone to me a couple of months ago and said Dad put a passcode in my phone that I won't guess. I asked why and she said I am putting a 5 minute limit on TikTok because I honestly feel dumber when I watch it but I get started down a rabbit hole of watching and next thing I know I have wasted an hour. I asked last week if she could tell any difference and she said she felt like it had. She said that now she does stuff like reading or working on her homework (she is working on her accounting degree) to stimulate her mind instead of watching dumbed down entertainment which didn't require thinking.
I would find myself scrolling through cooking videos on Instagram mindlessly for hours. Then I realized how stupid that was. Deleted all Instagram and Facebook accounts. I didn't miss it at all. It's like reality TV, I don't think people actually like it. They don't realize they are hooked.

It's pretty much all social media- there's a lot of scholarly evidence with the gender stuff especially, that things like tiktok has messed with all their dopamine and is literally eroding away gray matter. It doesn't help when then ppl reinforce insane nonsense that if you don't call someone wolfself or xim/xer that its genocide or whatever.

There's a reason China won't even allow ppl on an app they created...its basically a biological weapon.
Honestly, I think it’s a spy tool.

Reactions: chroix
My 19 year old handed her phone to me a couple of months ago and said Dad put a passcode in my phone that I won't guess. I asked why and she said I am putting a 5 minute limit on TikTok because I honestly feel dumber when I watch it but I get started down a rabbit hole of watching and next thing I know I have wasted an hour. I asked last week if she could tell any difference and she said she felt like it had. She said that now she does stuff like reading or working on her homework (she is working on her accounting degree) to stimulate her mind instead of watching dumbed down entertainment which didn't require thinking.

Smart girl.

Probably social media - comparison being the thief of joy and whatnot. I’m sure it’s also exaggerated and over reported like most everything else nowadays as well and will assume the majority are well adjusted and just fine.

I would find myself scrolling through cooking videos on Instagram mindlessly for hours. Then I realized how stupid that was. Deleted all Instagram and Facebook accounts. I didn't miss it at all. It's like reality TV, I don't think people actually like it. They don't realize they are hooked.
I am right there with you. I deleted all social media back during the presidential election because I was tired of all the bickering back and forth. I, like you, found myself spending way too much time just scrolling through it looking at random stuff that I didn't even care about. It was taking away from time I was spending connecting with my family that was sitting in the room with me. I am better off without it to be honest.

If it weren’t for hunting down and courting young hunnies I would have zero need for social but as for now it’s VERY useful.

Told-Her-On-The-Dating-Site.jpg

How I imagine most online dating people. 🤣

My kids are in their late 20s/early 30s. Both have told me that very, very few of their friends in college had ever held a job before graduating. I'm 60 and I've had some sort of job since I was 13 as did my brother. Smart phones and social media have conditioned the younger generations to be nominally connected to everyone but to actually have very few 'real' connections with people. I remember very distinctly my first on-campus visit with my daughter at the college she ended up attending. Ate lunch in the Student Center in the middle of the academic semester so >100 students for sure in the cafeteria. It was like attending a church service - very, very quiet; everyone engrossed in their phones even if sitting with several others at the table; almost no discernable conversation going on. By contrast, when I was at UK and ate at the SC, it was barely controlled chaos with the dozens of conversations, laughing, horseplay, the small Asian woman shouting, 'Pizza number 7!', etc. HUGE noticeable difference.

Too many parents have been protecting their children from any sort of stress or failure or disappointment. As a result, I firmly believe many are not equipped to handle those things in, you know, real life. Thus, their anxiety.

My kids are in their late 20s/early 30s. Both have told me that very, very few of their friends in college had ever held a job before graduating. I'm 60 and I've had some sort of job since I was 13 as did my brother. Smart phones and social media have conditioned the younger generations to be nominally connected to everyone but to actually have very few 'real' connections with people. I remember very distinctly my first on-campus visit with my daughter at the college she ended up attending. Ate lunch in the Student Center in the middle of the academic semester so >100 students for sure in the cafeteria. It was like attending a church service - very, very quiet; everyone engrossed in their phones even if sitting with several others at the table; almost no discernable conversation going on. By contrast, when I was at UK and ate at the SC, it was barely controlled chaos with the dozens of conversations, laughing, horseplay, the small Asian woman shouting, 'Pizza number 7!', etc. HUGE noticeable difference.

Too many parents have been protecting their children from any sort of stress or failure or disappointment. As a result, I firmly believe many are not equipped to handle those things in, you know, real life. Thus, their anxiety.
My daughter is 15 and has been working for a year. A lot of her friends work too.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Why we acting like teenage anxiety is unique to gen z? One of the hits in the 90’s grunge era was literally “Suicidal Dream”.

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinTXCat

I’m amazed how this has managed to trickle up into older generations . Had jury duty a few years back and we are sitting in the deliberation room for a break and everyone was looking at their phones. This is older farmers, housewives and young professionals. All sitting a few feet from each other. Finally I spoke up and said, “15 years ago we’d be talking to each other.” Everyone chuckled and put their phones down. Such a contrast from same setting in the mid-nineties in NYC. We developed a comraderie sitting there together for days.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I’ve work on college campuses for 25 years. Just like in life, those students are the fringe and a big time minority. I’ve come across very few students like that and I spent 8 years at one of the most liberal schools in the country.
Maybe so but that was unheard of when I was going to school. You could've disagreed with someone but there was still a level of respect. The young people today seem to have never had anyone tell them "no". The level of entitlement and selfishness is staggering.

I have 3 daughters ages 23, 19 and 15. The 2 oldest started working when they were 15-16 and were told that they had to put 1/2 of their paycheck in savings for a rainy day and they could spend the other 1/2 on whatever they wanted. The oldest went to community college to get her associates and then on to Tennessee Tech to get her bachelors degree. She also worked while in college and graduated with no student loans. My middle daughter has done the same and now she is working on her bachelors through an online program at Morehead St while working a full time job. She not only will be student loan free upon graduation but will have a pretty good nest egg saved up since she is staying at home and is a little more stingy than her sister. (her sister lived at TN Tech and had housing expenses that took a chunk of her nest egg). My youngest hasn't gotten a job yet but will soon along with working her tail off practicing golf because she's pretty good at it and has set a goal of getting an athletic scholarship to pay for her school. I think if you asked any of them they would say it wasn't easy going to work while their friends ran the roads drinking and partying but now that they are adults they see the importance of what we were trying to teach them.

Told-Her-On-The-Dating-Site.jpg

How I imagine most online dating people. 🤣
Well social media isn’t online dating but it’s a great way to get to know what someone is about and to talk causally without being obvious. Social media just more allows gals to “stalk” your profile and make sure as much as possible you’re not a total psycho.

Dating apps are horrible. People’s pictures are ten years old and it’s just weird. Be an adult, approach a female and ask her to go get a coffee or a smoothie or something.

If she says no you’ll be fine I promise.

@UK-chulo what a goober who actually shows up for jury duty? Throw that shit away and say you never got it.

• Love
Reactions: UK-chulo
Dating apps are horrible. People’s pictures are ten years old and it’s just weird. Be an adult, approach a female and ask her to go get a coffee or a smoothie or something.

If she says no you’ll be fine I promise.

@UK-chulo what a goober who actually shows up for jury duty? Throw that shit away and say you never got it.
My wife showed me a pic the other day of a woman and then another picture of the same woman where she had used a filter of some sort. She went from basically went from this.....

mamajune-1489440896.gif

to this....

MV5BMTc5MjgyMzk4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk2OTM4Mg@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I recently retired from a Higher Ed. position at a university here in relatively conservative Idaho. I had this job the last 11 years of my career. I'm not proud of it.

Even my "liberal" faculty and staff colleagues admitted that students have become overly sensitive and unable to deal with controversy. That was funny coming from them, since they formally pushed every divisive, crippling doctrine of progressive ideology on the students. This precluded nearly all visiting lectures involving subjects too far outside the progressive bubble.

I actually attended bullshit meetings paying lip service to the sensitivity issue. After the obligatory assurance that the meeting was a "safe place" so you can say what you think, the consensus was always to double down on woke DEI insanity. It was the only PC thing to do. It was the answer to EVERY problem, from enrollment to retention. Everything.

The situation where you could possibly discuss rational solutions were usually in small groups or one-on-one meetings where the mob rule democracy wasn't in play.

This brainwashing may not lead every student to actively participate in violent radicalism like we've seen extensively at universities across the country, but it does have a lasting negative impact on objective critical thinking and the health of society.

Liberalism is dead. It's been replaced with religion.

My wife showed me a pic the other day of a woman and then another picture of the same woman where she had used a filter of some sort. She went from basically went from this.....

mamajune-1489440896.gif

to this....

MV5BMTc5MjgyMzk4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk2OTM4Mg@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Gun to your head, who would you rather have kids with? Keep in mind the second one has three sons who all think they are chicks.

Seems like it's because this group or demographic of gen z kids have never been punched in the face for their actions. They wouldn't dare if they knew real consequences of getting up in someone's grill who doesn't give 2 shots about opinions or feelings.

I by no means won every fight I was in. I've been knocked down. I've lost my share. But you knew if approached me or any of my friends (and we knew the same about other groups) if you starting mouthing off we were swinging.

That proved to be a huge deterrent for everyone. Winning a fight but still getting clocked in the face hurt and was it worth it. Made us think. I feel like kids now don't know consequences like we did.

We had to search you out in person to talk shit face to face. Different times.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT