ADVERTISEMENT

Former Gov. Martin says he misspoke about UNC scandal...

JP is correct in that there is a automatic assumption that the leaders at Chapel Hill weren't aware of the corruption . In fact they are the source of corruption and have tried to manipulate the best outcome possible . The crooks have been in charge of discovery and we have evolving explanations in an effort to find a believable scapegoat . It's going to take an external source to get any semblance of the truth , UNC will never divulge the truth .

JP is correct in that there is a automatic assumption that the leaders at Chapel Hill weren't aware of the corruption . In fact they are the source of corruption and have tried to manipulate the best outcome possible . The crooks have been in charge of discovery and we have evolving explanations in an effort to find a believable scapegoat . It's going to take an external source to get any semblance of the truth , UNC will never divulge the truth .

Scapegoats - all females and a black guy. The victims are young black males.

Where the hell is Gloria Allred and Jesse Jackson?

images.000.jpg

Bu8ki9YIYAEeQpB.jpg

seek the truth and the truth will set you free

so yea, with this truth from Martin coming out, it does give us all some happiness

just checked the UNC board, as right now crickets
hopefully GSD and Baghdad Bob will come to this thread and discuss it, since they are not allowed to discuss it on their board

All you have to do to see how pathetically oblivious the UNC fanbase is to how corrupt this whole thing is..............just read the thread about Drake and UK. (UNC Scout board)

Just amazing.

Most of the country has heard ESPN apologists telling them a few rogues created this problem.
Most of them believe ESPN. And, here in Sooner land, almost no one I know has a clue as to UNC's scandal. When I bring it up, most say they were not aware there really was one.

What made the Martin report so outrageous was the laughing hillbilly way they delivered the report to the public. If you watched that they all had a grand old time laughing it up like it was all a big joke and it was silly for them all to be inconvenienced by having to deliver it. Much ado about nothing rang from wall to wall. A really stunning display of a total lack of self-awareness. They really believed they were going to sweep it all under the rug and go about as if nothing happened after they had their good laugh. It was one of the most awkward ham-fisted displays of arrogance that I have ever witnessed.

This. I recall following a link to watch a live feed of the Martin report. I sat watching people glad handing , back patting and laughing as they assembled. I wondered when they would cut to the Martin report since what I was watching appeared to be some sort of celebratory function, perhaps an awards banquet or retirement party, not the release of an investigation into reported malfeasance. The level of arrogance was surreal.

UNC has proven time and time again that they hold no such moral standards, and will literally lie, cheat and steal no matter how much it degrades their own reputation, as long as it preserves in their own mind a semblance of the facade that they'e spent so many decades trying to construct.
This is what elevates this scandal to '5 Alarm Fire' status. I root against UNC because I competitively hate the Heels. But this mess no longer has anything to do with winning basketball games. The most respected public university in the Old North State has defrauded students and perjured themselves repeatedly. And yet everyone with the power to hold them accountable has laryngitis. The NCAA...UNC Trustees...the Media...Legal authorities. Dead silence.

Only Dan Kane/Raleigh N&O and Pack Pride have kept this from being buried deeper than Davey Jones Locker. I have to double up my Blood Pressure meds every time I think about it.

Reactions: drawing_dead
This. I recall following a link to watch a live feed of the Martin report. I sat watching people glad handing , back patting and laughing as they assembled. I wondered when they would cut to the Martin report since what I was watching appeared to be some sort of celebratory function, perhaps an awards banquet or retirement party, not the release of an investigation into reported malfeasance. The level of arrogance was surreal.
Arrogance is absolutely the perfect word. The Good Book says "Pride goes before a mighty fall". Let it be, Dear Lord.

It has become habit for me daily to go to Pack Pride and read the updates. These guys are relentless in their efforts to take down the Tarholes, I would not want to get in the way of their progress so I never post. Their goal is to do something daily to hammer the UNCheats. They are good at it, interesting reading. They dig up everything....good stuff

Reactions: uky8unc5
This is the first time I have believed the NCAA cannot and will not whitewash this. Their star witness on "its only an academic scandal" has recanted and become the strongest witness for it being the worst athletic scandal of all time.

No reasonable executive in Emmert's position would do anything other than make sure UNC gets one of the worst penalties ever imposed on a member .

I believe all of ESPN Employees have be told to keep there mouth shut if they can't say something good about this cheating going on UNC.

Reactions: DY9ASTY
Clap, clap, clap to politician Martin...........welcome to the real world! It's CYA time now.

Blatant skirting the rules has gone on for so long in Chapel Hill, most of the architects of this sham have left the building.

Swofford won't come clean any more than Roy.

To me this is another bull ish move by someone trying to clear their name after using their reputation to cover for this mess . When Martin signed on I bet he thought his report would be the conclusion to this scandal but nobody bought it , he didn't plan for that . Now it keeps getting worse and Martin looks incompetent or even complicit in helping to whitewash the cheating . Sorry Martin , you either got played or more likely you are as dirty as everyone else who used their name/position to bailout the crooks . Don't fret , you have lawyers and Rams club judges in the pit with you .

Reactions: brianpoe
I still can't believe Bobby tickle me Elmo hasn't defended this yet. Guess he's waiting for the UNC spin on this so he can spread it.

I'm going to predict that at some point UNC will go ahead and penalize themselves.

I believe that they will forfeit games, reduce scholarships and accept a post season ban but WILL NOT give up any titles.

I think that this will be their final effort to make this stop without losing any titles.

Just a feeling I have.

For the TarHoles to admit to anything at this point, IMO, its too late to claim compliance. They've been defiant in all this and it took 2+ NCAA reviews to get to this stage.

My interest is how much more their penalties will be versus Southern Miss and Syracuse. Common sense would think substantially, despite what Roy and Fedora are telling recruits.

I have read the book "Tarnished Heels" and there is no doubt the corruption -" the Carolina Way" began under the overrated Dean Smith.
I am now reading "cheated" which confirms there has been a stench of the "Carolina Way" for many years.

Reactions: brianpoe
I'm going to predict that at some point UNC will go ahead and penalize themselves

Sarcasm? That bunch is way too arrogant to even discuss the idea.

I'm going to predict that at some point UNC will go ahead and penalize themselves.

I believe that they will forfeit games, reduce scholarships and accept a post season ban but WILL NOT give up any titles.

I think that this will be their final effort to make this stop without losing any titles.

Just a feeling I have.

I thank you are right on UNC not giving up any Titles.

I'm going to predict that at some point UNC will go ahead and penalize themselves

Sarcasm? That bunch is way too arrogant to even discuss the idea.

Agreed. I was reading PackPride last night and they talked about the "power behind the throne." Apparently, some powerful boosters are calling the shots. Folt is a puppet. Bradley Bethel is a weasel who is basically trying to get in good with the people in power. Remember that he is the one who wrote Folt an email saying that UNC was admitting athletes who were completely unable to do college level work. Now, he is trying to defend the bball program to the death by trashing Willingham and Smith.

Before this is all over, some of the weasels and puppets are going to be scapegoated. I could see Folt leaving before too long because she will be forced out IF the NCAA comes down hard. Ross already got the axe. More to come.....

some powerful boosters are calling the shots

That has been the case all along. They hired Martin to whitewash it, hired the PR firm to deflect it, fired a few to scapegoat them. All are in the Rams Club. They have invested millions to make this go away, and it is still around. They may try to negotiate with the NCAA and avoid stripping titles and protecting Dean Smith, but I am not too sure. The arrogance shown so far is astounding.

John Hood wrote the Governor's book. Just an FYI Cat fans.

(yes I know it's a different JH but I had best clarify my sarcasm before getting called out).

“He recognized that athletics was part of the problem, but he resisted any attempt to reduce it to the only problem, or the main problem,” Hood said.

Simply put, Martin implicated no one from athletics and grazed over the entire process. To call it an academic problem was pushing the issue away from those who abused the system and continued it until it was publically exposed.

When McCants publically states he took 18 AFAM classes in 3 years, then Bobby's absurd argument for classes taken after his season was over is completely off base. That's a minimum of 6 solid semesters of forging his eligibility or 54 hours of classes which is unacceptable.

Way too much forgery going on here, and forgotten incidents/conversations. The NCAA needs to shut the door on this type of behavior within this university.

Read Roy Williams' response here and try and make sense of it. The tap dancing is epic:

[Reporter] In the 900 pages of emails and texts, there’s a lot of correspondence between Wayne Walden and Debbie Crowder. Do you understand why people might have questions about why Wayne didn’t come to you and explain the whole paper course thing?

[Roy Williams] I’m not even sure when Wayne even knew. That report, those people did an amazing job with all the time and commitments and people and emails. But I’ve used these as examples - it said that we had 11 players from the ’05 team – it was not, there were seven. Said they talked to seven, they spoke to 10. There was supposedly some meeting, it was reported in there, I had with a group of academic people and tutors, and I told them their job was to keep my team eligible. Didn’t happen, did not happen. And we cannot find out where it was ever said. At the bottom they disclaimed the report, because they said they couldn’t talk to that person. I’ve got two guys that have been trying to find that statement that was supposedly made, we can’t even find that statement.

Wayne Walden, you can take a sentence out of this dadgum monologue that I’m giving and it may sound a lot different than it does with the whole monologue. Wayne Walden is one of the most ethical people I’ve ever known in my life. Still, I’ll say that today. You don’t find any emails between me and Wayne Walden, that doesn’t prove I’m innocent. It’s just that I don’t freaking email. You can’t find any emails from me and Debbie Crowder, that doesn’t mean I’m innocent. I don’t email.

I haven’t seen those emails; don’t have any idea if there’s one that stands out more than the other. There’s a difference between somebody thinking and somebody knowing, and there’s a difference between coming aware in 2004 or 2008 that something had happened three or four years before. It’s such a complicated investigation. That’s why I feel for Ken Wainstein and their group, because it was so complicated.

… We had some things that I’m not proud of, that I’m hurt by. I can’t describe it more than saying it’s terrible. … I think the report was so exhaustive, so comprehensive, so complicated, if I’d agreed with everything they said, I think it would’ve been monumental.

http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/story/1476305-q-a-with-roy-williams-part-i
Wow.

Yeah, I think the NCAA wanted this to fade away quietly. It's just hypocritical that they've pursued other schools/coaches for much, much less in the meantime. I mean, they're already charging Tyndall and SoMiss. Wasted no time at all. UNC** is going on in the 5th year. Honestly, it's time for UNC to be set back 30 years and the NCAA should get nuked by Congress.
It amazes me that they brought the hammer on Southern Miss for isolated, though obviously flagrant cheating. Yet with UNC and a 20+ year institution wide academic scandal touching numerous sports . . . well, we're still waiting, with many people thinking they come out with a slap on the wrist. Where is the justice?

The previous penalties that UNC football took on should be a sample of how the NCAA should handle the current set of allegations:

"Only the football team has been sanctioned by the NCAA, which in 2012 forced the Tar Heels to vacate all their wins from the 2008 and 2009 seasons, cut their team’s scholarships by 15, placed the program on three years of probation and banned the team from the postseason for one year."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ccants-recounts-academic-fraud-at-the-school/

One thing that McCants stated about how they were punished for missing class....and Roy doesn't know if kids are in class or not? Right.......

“I mean, you have to know about the education of your players and … who’s eligible, who’s not and … who goes to this class and missing that class. We had to run sprints for missing classes if we got caught, so you know, they were very aware of what was going on.”

Be very cautious regarding any pro-UNC spin you're hearing in the media. UNC is employing the high-dollar PR firm of Edelman. Whether or not it ends up being true, Edelman has developed the PR strategy to say UNC is not going to be hit hard by the NCAA.... and that men's basketball is safe. When you hear something like this from a media source, it has been arranged by Edelman. This is not conjecture. It has been confirmed. UNC is hoping to sway public sentiment.... hoping it will somehow sway the NCAA COI.

So they are trying to lay down an easy path in hopes of enticing the NCAA to take it , par for the course from UNC . Chapel Hill is one of the dirtiest organizations in sports history , zero remorse . As for Martin , he is just another snake oil salesman . He had access to records , a staff and untold hours to look at this problem and this man says he misspoke . How did you have all that information from the most important investigation in unc's history and now say you misspoke ?

It amazes me that they brought the hammer on Southern Miss for isolated, though obviously flagrant cheating. Yet with UNC and a 20+ year institution wide academic scandal touching numerous sports . . . well, we're still waiting, with many people thinking they come out with a slap on the wrist. Where is the justice?

There isn't any justice with NCAA when it come to Duke & North Carolina.

no one counts '93 lol. they should be giving up three titles. look at the classes they took, watch the games, and tell me how they win in '93 without key players who were already in afam? 1993-2011 were the dates. wrong as they may be. at the very least that's three titles. one from dean. although he may be a strong participant and schemer, ol' roy didn't invent this. '05 '09 is something but really just a piece.

Reactions: Xception
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT