ADVERTISEMENT

Former Gov. Martin says he misspoke about UNC scandal...

uky8unc5

All-American
Gold Member
May 22, 2002
I'll leave it to someone else to sum up the impact of Gov. Martin's comments. But this is huge. His report (submitted to UNC Trustees 3 years ago) is still quoted by UNC officials and fans as proof that their scandal was limited and did not involve athletics (particularly men's basketball). Kaboom!

I'm getting my hopes up again that the roof might cave in.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article28708351.html

Bobby is a loser, and won't show his ass again until UNC is cleared. If they are cleared then he'll be everywhere. If not, he'll switch usernames again.

Tickle me Elmo he will forever be. Make'em remember Elmo....make'em ALL remember how you went down...fighting till the end....

Reactions: Federal Cat
There was never any doubt that Martin was brought in to simply put a rubber-stamp on UNC's claim that athletics was not involved. Martin was a good credible name. Nobody would dare question Martin. As soon as the farce of the Martin Report was unveiled, it was obvious that it was a whitewash. If Martin "misspoke".... he had years and ample opportunity to set the record straight. In fact, he "misspoke" so severely that he wrote a scathing piece to the News & Observer when they dared to question his farce of a report. Instead of saying he misspoke.... he lashed out at the N&O

Martin never anticipated there being another look at the scandal. Martin and UNC never anticipated Kenneth Wainstein stabbing them in the back after seeing the true dept of the scandal. After Wainstein, it was even more apparent at just how much of a whitewash Martin provided.

Governor Jim Martin had a great reputation, but it's now in shambles. He no longer has credibility. The legacy of Jim Martin is tainted in the name of UNC men's basketball; he's well aware of it. Martin is attempting to save any amount of credibility and dignity to which he may still be clinging. Martin knows he was clearly exposed... and this new statement is a chance to convince a few foolish people that he didn't say something that he definitely said and tried to convince us to believe.

Somebody's going down in a deep deep dark hole.

Either the NCAA will gut the institution of North Carolina with a punishment fitting the smelly academic scum filled slime pit they've become or,

The NCAA will be exposed as the cowardly impudent arbitrary and irrelevant organization that is no longer fit to govern division 1 college athletics.

Or both.

What made the Martin report so outrageous was the laughing hillbilly way they delivered the report to the public. If you watched that they all had a grand old time laughing it up like it was all a big joke and it was silly for them all to be inconvenienced by having to deliver it. Much ado about nothing rang from wall to wall. A really stunning display of a total lack of self-awareness. They really believed they were going to sweep it all under the rug and go about as if nothing happened after they had their good laugh. It was one of the most awkward ham-fisted displays of arrogance that I have ever witnessed.

It's not that they even think they're smarter and could pull off such a brazen act , they think they are slicker . It's fun to see them choke on their own lies , just simple bumpkins after all with a penchant for being dirty .

Martin never anticipated there being another look at the scandal. Martin and UNC never anticipated Kenneth Wainstein stabbing them in the back after seeing the true dept of the scandal. After Wainstein, it was even more apparent at just how much of a whitewash Martin provided.

This is true.

But a word of warning to Kenneth Wainstein, SACS and the NCAA, etc. This scandal will continue to be probed for MANY more years and more information is bound to leak out, one way or the other. (and regardless of what the NCAA decides.)

Any whitewashing they have done (or in terms of the NCAA plan to do in the near future) will eventually been seen for exactly what it is. The issue is not going away just because UNC and a few sympathetic allies try to hide the truth or soften the blow.

As far as I'm concerned although Wainstein did better than I expected, he, the UNC athletic department, the UNC administration, the NCAA, the North Carolina Board of Trustees, a number of NC politicians and numerous media members (among probably others) are ALL accomplices in this fraud and (in some cases) criminal activity.

Seeing Jim Martin start to have second thoughts after seeing his reputation left in tatters because of his own short-sighted foolishness will not be the last time we see this type of regret over this scandal. It just may take some longer to recognize it than others.

I don't think there is any way on earth the NCAA comes back after this, John. Anyone that needs to get their licks in better fire all their barrels soon.

I mean, just look at all what the NCAA chose NOT to look at: Pell Grant Fraud, Fats, Wheels for Heels, Dental Foundation, Grills for Heels, Tammy the sausage wallet, forged signatures, forged grades, ex players shacking up at Roy's house smoking dope, and the very nefarious scandal of having players feign mental impairment. And list goes on.

The cheating was simply too massive for the NCAA to tackle. There is ample evidence of a whole lot more than the NCAA is currently addressing even with 5 level 1 infractions.

So I do not believe anything will cause them to wade back into that mess for fear of what they may find. They will punish UNC then never look back again because frankly they are terrified to.

Read Roy Williams' response here and try and make sense of it. The tap dancing is epic:

[Reporter] In the 900 pages of emails and texts, there’s a lot of correspondence between Wayne Walden and Debbie Crowder. Do you understand why people might have questions about why Wayne didn’t come to you and explain the whole paper course thing?

[Roy Williams] I’m not even sure when Wayne even knew. That report, those people did an amazing job with all the time and commitments and people and emails. But I’ve used these as examples - it said that we had 11 players from the ’05 team – it was not, there were seven. Said they talked to seven, they spoke to 10. There was supposedly some meeting, it was reported in there, I had with a group of academic people and tutors, and I told them their job was to keep my team eligible. Didn’t happen, did not happen. And we cannot find out where it was ever said. At the bottom they disclaimed the report, because they said they couldn’t talk to that person. I’ve got two guys that have been trying to find that statement that was supposedly made, we can’t even find that statement.

Wayne Walden, you can take a sentence out of this dadgum monologue that I’m giving and it may sound a lot different than it does with the whole monologue. Wayne Walden is one of the most ethical people I’ve ever known in my life. Still, I’ll say that today. You don’t find any emails between me and Wayne Walden, that doesn’t prove I’m innocent. It’s just that I don’t freaking email. You can’t find any emails from me and Debbie Crowder, that doesn’t mean I’m innocent. I don’t email.

I haven’t seen those emails; don’t have any idea if there’s one that stands out more than the other. There’s a difference between somebody thinking and somebody knowing, and there’s a difference between coming aware in 2004 or 2008 that something had happened three or four years before. It’s such a complicated investigation. That’s why I feel for Ken Wainstein and their group, because it was so complicated.

… We had some things that I’m not proud of, that I’m hurt by. I can’t describe it more than saying it’s terrible. … I think the report was so exhaustive, so comprehensive, so complicated, if I’d agreed with everything they said, I think it would’ve been monumental.

http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/story/1476305-q-a-with-roy-williams-part-i

I'll leave it to someone else to sum up the impact of Gov. Martin's comments. But this is huge. His report (submitted to UNC Trustees 3 years ago) is still quoted by UNC officials and fans as proof that their scandal was limited and did not involve athletics (particularly men's basketball). Kaboom!

I'm getting my hopes up again that the roof might cave in.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article28708351.html
I wish all of you P E A C E & H A P P I N E S S !

Why do the mods allow this guy to come over here and post stuff completely irrelevant to the topic? It's pretty obvious he is baiting.

1-nothing-to-see-here-move-along.png

seek the truth and the truth will set you free

so yea, with this truth from Martin coming out, it does give us all some happiness

just checked the UNC board, as right now crickets
hopefully GSD and Baghdad Bob will come to this thread and discuss it, since they are not allowed to discuss it on their board

Last edited:
Something hit me today....can you imagine the impact this will have on Bradley Bethel's documentary? He has cited the Martin report in a number of his postings and I am assuming that it is included in his documentary on the UNC scandal.

If he is even close to post-production, this new bombshell should be exploding in his face about now. And, if more info does come out that contradicts his position, his documentary is going to look like a piece of crap when it comes out.

Get the popcorn boys! This is continuing to get interesting!!!

Reactions: Federal Cat
Something hit me today....can you imagine the impact this will have on Bradley Bethel's documentary? He has cited the Martin report in a number of his postings and I am assuming that it is included in his documentary on the UNC scandal.

If he is even close to post-production, this new bombshell should be exploding in his face about now. And, if more info does come out that contradicts his position, his documentary is going to look like a piece of crap when it comes out.

Get the popcorn boys! This is continuing to get interesting!!!

Actually I do look forward to see the fruit of the $100,000+ that the idiot UNC boosters threw away towards Bethel's 'masterpiece'.

Get the popcorn ready no doubt.

Even more, I look forward to Pack Pride dissecting it afterwards.

stephen-colbert-popcorn-gif1.gif

Preacher

When you create a vast web of lies it is inevitable that you will eventually become trapped in your own deceit . They create new lies to cover for their previous lies that sprung a leak . It's a lie , it's Mary , it's academics , it's a rogue proffessor , it's Crowder , it's two rogues and Boxhill , it's a media witch hunt , it's the athletes , everybody does it , it's women .

There's a lot of interesting nuggets from this article. One thing that I think is important is the following:

Martin now says he gave athletic officials too much deference in accepting their version of events. He had only talked to one member of the faculty committee, former faculty athletic representative Jack Evans. Evans later told Wainstein he did not recall any discussion about lecture classes.

Former Senior Associate Athletic Director John Blanchard and Robert Mercer, the former academic support director for athletes, said in the Wainstein report they raised questions about AFAM lecture classes to the faculty committee. Wainstein found little evidence to back their claims.

I think this part cannot be overstated, and helps to explain how this investigation went off the rails from the get-go, and why this scandal has dragged year after year, with no end in sight.

I know that the NCAA has gone to a more cooperative stance with the schools expected to self-report and self-investigate, but that all hinges on the assumption that the leaders of the school hold some basic level of morality and accountability.

UNC has proven time and time again that they hold no such moral standards, and will literally lie, cheat and steal no matter how much it degrades their own reputation, as long as it preserves in their own mind a semblance of the facade that they'e spent so many decades trying to construct.

The NCAA made a huge mistake in trusting UNC to perform a legitimate investigation of this scandal, a mistake that they have continued to repeat multiple times, and frankly still haven't fully taken ownership over the investigation. They also made a huge mistake in taking the word of UNC athletic officials, coaches and administrators on anything with respect to this scandal.

At the end of the day, it's going to be the NCAA which will pay for these mistakes.

The NCAA made a huge mistake in trusting UNC to perform a legitimate investigation of this scandal
This.

Yeah, I think the NCAA wanted this to fade away quietly. It's just hypocritical that they've pursued other schools/coaches for much, much less in the meantime. I mean, they're already charging Tyndall and SoMiss. Wasted no time at all. UNC** is going on in the 5th year. Honestly, it's time for UNC to be set back 30 years and the NCAA should get nuked by Congress.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the NCAA wanted this to fade away quietly. It's just hypocritical that they've pursued other schools/coaches for much, much less in the meantime. I mean, they're already charging Tyndall and SoMiss. Wasted no time at all. UNC** is going on in the 5th year. Honestly, it's time for NCAA to be set back 30 years and the NCAA should get nuked by Congress.

i think Congress is the main reason why UNC is not going to escape severe punishment for committing the biggest systematic academic fraud case (to keep athletes eligible) in the history of the NCAA

UNC is going to get hammered, including their MBB

ADVERTISEMENT