ADVERTISEMENT

Enough is enough

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
This morning's LHL, June 5 edition, contained FOUR separate articles about UK basketball. One was Cal's thoughts on the Wisconsin game (he thought it sucked - who would have guessed???), and three others, including a review of next year's team.

Nearly three months after the season ended, in a week where there is a Triple Crown on the line, Memorial Golf tourney in Columbus, state HS baseball championships, NBA championship, and the French Open tennis, plus the usual MLB and the start of the Women's World Cup, we get four articles primarily about LAST YEAR's players and team? Please, for the love of God, give it a rest.

Totally agree....Frankly, I'm sick of the hype machine on UK basketball at this point. If you can't win a title or even get to the title game with last year's talent, something is seriously wrong with UK's current system under Cal. I'm tired of the one and dones. Really sick of it.

I have no interest in next year's team at this point. I'm focused on football.

They know what moves the needle.Just look right now, there are 10x more people on Rafters compared to this board ...

Till winning changes that, we have homes like this board. And for that I'm thankful. Less crapola to sift through, for sure.

I like football just as much as the next person, but I'm pretty sure it was because Cal had his season wrap-up press conference yesterday. With the football team in the slow summer period when "any news tends to be bad news" it's somewhat understandable.

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA
Look, I am not agitating "UK football v. UK basketball" in this post, hell, write about the NBA championship, lots of people are interested in that. I understand the level of interest in UK basketball, but it is not just today's issue.

I am not kidding, there have been many many LHL editions since the season ended with multiple articles on the basketball team, players, their NBA draft prospects, high school recruits, etc. At some point, it really is just lazy reporting, find something else to talk about.

Reactions: myWILDCATjones
I like football just as much as the next person, but I'm pretty sure it was because Cal had his season wrap-up press conference yesterday. With the football team in the slow summer period when "any news tends to be bad news" it's somewhat understandable.

This is false. Construction/completion of the stadium is in full bore/crunch time, there are football camps starting today, freshmen and veterans have been reporting to campus all week, the Governor's Cup dinner and luncheon were this week. If anything, basketball is in a slow period, not football. There are lots of stories, if anyone wanted to exert [a little] effort to run them down.

I'm more of a basketball guy but it is time to start looking ahead to football. Pre season talk will heat up in August. June and July are like the dead period for college sports.

This is false. Construction/completion of the stadium is in full bore/crunch time, there are football camps starting today, freshmen and veterans have been reporting to campus all week, the Governor's Cup dinner and luncheon were this week. If anything, basketball is in a slow period, not football. There are lots of stories, if anyone wanted to exert [a little] effort to run them down.

Yeah; and they all reported on all of that last week. What was the significant update since then to warrant every local news source devoting a second story to the stadium construction in the last week? They also reported on the Governor's Cup in yesterday's paper.

You're behind on your news cycle. Basketball is in a slow period - agreed; but Cal JUST GAVE his end-of-season press conference yesterday.

I don't know why this is so hard for you.

Look, I am not agitating "UK football v. UK basketball" in this post, hell, write about the NBA championship, lots of people are interested in that. I understand the level of interest in UK basketball, but it is not just today's issue.

I am not kidding, there have been many many LHL editions since the season ended with multiple articles on the basketball team, players, their NBA draft prospects, high school recruits, etc. At some point, it really is just lazy reporting, find something else to talk about.

I didn't take it that way so no worries on my end. I think we're just at the time of year when tournament coverage, draft declarations, basketball signing period, and NBA draft look ahead all run together. It's comparable to the football season bleeding into February with bowl games, NFL draft declarations, NSD, NFL combine, and the anticipation of spring practice.

I'd love more UK football news, but without even summer workouts starting until next week I just don't expect much. There are UK websites out there already churning out analysis for next season which you might enjoy.

Hopefully you will express your complaint directly to the LHL, not that it would do any good, but it would make them aware of reader's frustrations.

Any UK coverage is good coverage and is read by many, many people. It is the Herald Leader - it is not Cats Illustrated. I happen to enjoy most everything related to UK and I read everything about football first at this time of year, but I am also reading the basketball stuff too. I just hope they keep writing about UK everyday and in a positive way!

Go Big Blue!

This morning's LHL, June 5 edition, contained FOUR separate articles about UK basketball. One was Cal's thoughts on the Wisconsin game (he thought it sucked - who would have guessed???), and three others, including a review of next year's team.

Nearly three months after the season ended, in a week where there is a Triple Crown on the line, Memorial Golf tourney in Columbus, state HS baseball championships, NBA championship, and the French Open tennis, plus the usual MLB and the start of the Women's World Cup, we get four articles primarily about LAST YEAR's players and team? Please, for the love of God, give it a rest.

But the real question is WHY do you still buy that rag of a newspaper? lol

Reactions: catben
But the real question is WHY do you still buy that rag of a newspaper? lol

Hey Merlene is retiring, so there is addition by subtraction. [thumb2]

Real answer is for local and state news and business, sure as hell not for the sports pages.

The reason the basketball team is talked about is because that's what's popular. You have to move the needle and UK basketball does that in Lexington. Horse Racing is somewhat buzzed right now but that ends Saturday no matter what that horse does. The NBA has always been something that just doesn't get a lot of buzz and still doesn't in Lexington.

It's about selling papers and more importantly selling advertising. You may be sick of it, but the majority of people buying papers isn't.

Hey Merlene is retiring, so there is addition by subtraction. [thumb2]

Real answer is for local and state news and business, sure as hell not for the sports pages.
Wow that is great news, now if you could get Pett and Clay to go with her I might reconsider.

Totally agree....Frankly, I'm sick of the hype machine on UK basketball at this point. If you can't win a title or even get to the title game with last year's talent, something is seriously wrong with UK's current system under Cal. I'm tired of the one and dones. Really sick of it.

Farrr the coach!

Reactions: Smashcat
Any UK coverage is good coverage and is read by many, many people. It is the Herald Leader - it is not Cats Illustrated. I happen to enjoy most everything related to UK and I read everything about football first at this time of year, but I am also reading the basketball stuff too. I just hope they keep writing about UK everyday and in a positive way!

Go Big Blue!

Excellent post, football is THE sport for me, started playing tackle football at recess and lunch in the first grade IIRC, played flag football into my forties in city leagues, several of which I started from scratch and ran myself, officiated for 33 years, spent a LOT of time on the football field.

BUT UK basketball has always been a big favorite of mine, and usually MUCH easier to follow than football with its second class support from the powers that be at UK. Just watched an awesome video from Karl Townes, and there is a lot going on in basketball right now from a UK standpoint.

I have always been disgusted by some of the basketball fans (lots of frontrunners over there) putting down UK football, and I also don't have a lot of use for football fans on here putting down UK basketball.

UK football has to earn their respect, and I think they are well on their way to doing that, but no need to disparage the best basketball program in the history of the sport, or Cal, not just a great recruiter (with EVERYTHING at UK to help him compared to football) but also a great coach AND an ever better person, JMO.

Football is the most popular sport in the nation (yes, even in Kentucky) check the TV ratings.

Sadly, our media are the only ones in the nation that don't supply a steady stream of football news.

Kentucky is a football state--always has been, always will be. Anytime the football team has even been remotely good, the interest in football has dwarfed that of even the most successful national championship basketball teams.

At this point in the year, the news should be 90% football, 10% basketball (or less). But our media, in all its wisdom, changes that ratio to 50/50, even though there are football fans starving for any kind of football coverage.

The real problem is that our football needs to have solid teams, CONSISTENTLY. Not necessarily great, just solid. Give UK fans a solid team and the attention for football will dwarf that of basketball (as it always has, and always will).

I think our genius media would be surprised at just how popular football is in Kentucky. Check the TV ratings, Kentucky always has some of the highest football viewing rates in the entire nation.

Kentucky will always be a football state, but the local teams need to give the fans something to cheer for to get rid of the idiotic label of "basketball state" which has done more damage to Kentucky football than could ever be imagined.

The truth is I cringe when I hear that there is football news this time of the year. The reason is because if the press is reporting it this time of the year it is likely bad news.

There is not much news to cover regarding UK sports which dwarf all other sports (even horse racing) in central Kentucky. We just finished what was almost the greatest season the sport has seen in almost 40 years and Cal just had a news conference. Put all that together and that explains the bump in UKBB news. I love football but it is really hard to complain too much about the coverage we have been getting after the string of the past 6 seasons.

Reactions: Bigbluediddy63
You getting mad is like Texas basketball fans getting upset about the local newspaper discussing football. Kentucky is known for basketball and it's the most successful program. When Stoops can take this program to a bowl game or we post a conference record above .500 for the first time in 40 years, then you'll get some more press.

I also, don't know why you're upset when the season doesn't start for three more months. Who cares?

I thought Cal's end of the season press conference was after the Wisconsin loss when he screwed the pooch.

The truth is I cringe when I hear that there is football news this time of the year. The reason is because if the press is reporting it this time of the year it is likely bad news.

Agree, so to help you along I will report something not connected to football, good news, jurich's team lost the first game of the three game series in the baseball playoffs a few minutes ago, 3-2, and who cares who beat them, just lose baby.

I would love for UK to take football more seriously,be more like other SEC programs in that respect,but I think it is going to far to discredit the BB team as they have had phenomenal success under Cal.

In a perfect situation all programs at UK would be contenders and get continuous coverage but that's not reality at this point. Trust me,I want UK football to be a higher priority in the media just as much as anyone,but I'm not going to blame the BB program for it.They are a national brand,they get coverage.

Some on here are saying they are tired of cal's system but fail to realize that we are competing nearly every year. Do you want that boring tubby ball or that drunkard Billy Gillespie back? Think before you speak. Also uk football deserves absolutely zero recognition. Stoops has yet to go to a bowl game. We'll see how this year pans out but until then basketball will still get almost all publicity. Everyone knows that the LHL sucks anyways so why use them as a source.

Reactions: EliteBlue
For papers now, all news is local.
If UK basketball had no national c'ships, no SEC c'ship in over 50 years, no winning record in the SEC in 30 years and football was like Alabama .... I bet football would be covered like a blanket.
It is what it is.

So you're sick of what exactly? 5 elite-8's, 4 final-4's, and 1 national title in 6 years? If you're sick of that, then you've been sick of UK basketball your whole life. In fact, you probably had to be put on medication during the later Tubby years followed by the Billy Gillespie era. Stupid doesn't even begin to describe your thoughts on Calipari. What a joke.

I come here to read about the football team. Not the nut jobs bitching about basketball coverage in June.

Well,, win 7+ games a year instead of 7 every 2-3 years would help.. Until then this will always be a basketball state.. It's the reason you have my types,, that use football as something to pass time by until bball season starts.. Put a winning team on the field year in year out and we'd have more to talk about besides round ball..

Well,, win 7+ games a year instead of 7 every 2-3 years would help.. Until then this will always be a basketball state.. It's the reason you have my types,, that use football as something to pass time by until bball season starts.. Put a winning team on the field year in year out and we'd have more to talk about besides round ball..

So, you are saying that Kentucky could become a football state as soon as this fall? I agree.

Meanwhile why don't "your types" just click the basketball forum above, still plenty goiong on to keep you out of our hair.

I can't make one, football or basketball, a favorite. I like them both.

However, some few preceding posts contain all the penis envy found on a board just west of us.

What a bad joke on us.

I can't make one, football or basketball, a favorite. I like them both.

However, some few preceding posts contain all the penis envy found on a board just west of us.

What a bad joke on us.

I like them both, too. This thread is no different than people mocking the football team on the basketball forum. It is okay to be a fan of the entire athletic department. These people that want everything to be a pissing contest among our own athletic department need to find a new hobby.

Am I the only person who finds bashing one of our programs, while being a fan of another one of our programs embarrassing? Maybe it's just me.

I like them both, too. This thread is no different than people mocking the football team on the basketball forum. It is okay to be a fan of the entire athletic department. These people that want everything to be a pissing contest among our own athletic department need to find a new hobby.

Am I the only person who finds bashing one of our programs, while being a fan of another one of our programs embarrassing? Maybe it's just me.

Probably quite a few UK basketball fans and Bama football fans on here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT