ADVERTISEMENT

Point Guard questions ??

I assume this is sarcasm, however:

Butler: PG that led his team to the NCAA Championship game, hit the final four game winner, 7-2 tournament record, only loses were to UCONN, all tournament team, known as a lock down defender

Kerr: PG that led Arizona to a 1 seed, shoots over 42% from three, averages almost 5 assists a game

We seem to be stacked at the PG spot and some of our fans can't see it

I assume this is sarcasm, however:

Butler: PG that led his team to the NCAA Championship game, hit the final four game winner, 7-2 tournament record, only loses were to UCONN, all tournament team, known as a lock down defender

Kerr: PG that led Arizona to a 1 seed, shoots over 42% from three, averages almost 5 assists a game

We seem to be stacked at the PG spot and some of our fans can't see it
Not sarcasm. Not my game. I did not realize they were both point guards. I thought they were off guards. Thanks for the information. Good to know. Sounds great !!!
GO CATS !!!

Reactions: westerncat
Trying to keep up. Based on my review, we have now signed six (6) guards, based on Oweh being considered a guard, versus a small forward. Is that correct ??
Carr, Williams and Garrison … the big men, with the other six (6) being guards.
Seems like a lot of talent coming in …
GO CATS !!!

Trying to keep up. Based on my review, we have now signed six (6) guards, based on Oweh being considered a guard, versus a small forward. Is that correct ??
Carr, Williams and Garrison … the big men, with the other six (6) being guards.
Seems like a lot of talent coming in …
GO CATS !!!

Correct...I think it's easier to think of really just 3 groups..

PG - don't have to be a deadeye shooter, but must be respectable from 3pt, and must be able to attack the lane
SG/SF - must have perimeter shooting & enough ballhandling ability to attack the rim
PF/C - needs have enough girth and height to defend and score in the post

Players within each of the SG/SF and PF/C groups are interchangeable, so I don't think we REALLY have to list the traditional lineup of PG, SG, SF, PF, and C

I’m not sold on Butler. He had a miserable year stat wise last year so he has to improve in this system. A guy can be terrific on the defensive side of the ball, but if he can’t hit the side of a barn, then he becomes a liability. Imagine a guy that shoots free throws like Bradshaw and 3 pointers not quite as good as Theiro and you got Butler from last year.

I’m not sold on Butler. He had a miserable year stat wise last year so he has to improve in this system. A guy can be terrific on the defensive side of the ball, but if he can’t hit the side of a barn, then he becomes a liability. Imagine a guy that shoots free throws like Bradshaw and 3 pointers not quite as good as Theiro and you got Butler from last year.
I'm okay with giving the coach who won a championship as a player and who fielded a top 25 team at BYU in the strongest conference last year a chance to prove he got the best guy for his system.

That wasn't an attack, Dingus.
Hungry Cookie Monster GIF by Sesame Street

If the season started today, Kiirsa would be the starting PG with Butler at the 2G. Scoring, assist, and defense. Solid backcourt, flank them with shooters at the 3/4. Carr would be the best PF, a stretch 4. Kiirsa is a PG who can score from all three levels, excellent in the pick and roll / pick and pop, shoots 42% from 3. Butler brings tenacity on both ends, and will do whatever it takes to win. Not known as a shooter, but can make the spot up 3. He is a player that is ok with doing the dirty work and deferring to the shooters / scorers, but he can get a bucket if needed.

“9timechampion” yes, we have two experienced point guards, one of which had good stats the last couple of years and one that didn’t. Some of you when faced with actual facts get so defensive for no reason. Pope doesn’t need you to defend him. Trust me, you do a very poor job of it. I’ve been as supportive of Pope as anybody, but I’m allowed to be skeptical of whether a guy will likely be our go-to pg. Butler has had some very good moments over his career, a final 4, etc, but he’s also been very inconsistent shooting the ball and his assist rate is pedestrian. Until I see otherwise, I’m going to assume that Kerr will be the guy most likely to be our main pg when it’s all said and done. Maybe Butler will excel in the new system, but the games I’ve watched of his, I haven’t come away impressed.

Last edited:
Kerr Kriisa is a grand slam. I think he is the absolute perfect fit for Pope's offense. Excellent passer and shooter. Plays with confidence. I predict he will be a fan favorite.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
I think everyone would agree wheeler had some amazing games when he played within himself. But then he would jack up 3s and drive with nowhere to go way too often.

You need to look further than just a quick glance of his stat line. Advanced analytics shows Butler is in the 76th percentile in spot up shooting. Butler shoots almost 40% from three in catch and shoot situations. Guess what type of shots Pope's offense creates.

He also has a 21% assist rate and is Top-10 in AST/AST%. Analytically, Butler is a great match for Pope's offense.

Reactions: delk4three
You need to look further than just a quick glance of his stat line. Advanced analytics shows Butler is in the 76th percentile in spot up shooting. Butler shoots almost 40% from three in catch and shoot situations. Guess what type of shots Pope's offense creates.

He also has a 21% assist rate and is Top-10 in AST/AST%. Analytically, Butler is a great match for Pope's offense.
I hope so. And maybe he’ll improve his FT shooting as well.

Yeah but he hit that one shot in the final four 2 years ago.

Saw where Kansas is pushing hard for Ivy-Curry. Looks like a really good guard. Are we recruiting him? Looks like we could use another really good ball handler.

The OP meant to ask, “Do we have/ need an unproven 5* at PG?”

It’s going to take most of next season before some of the fans sober up from Cal’s generational poverty approach.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
“9timechampion” yes, we have two experienced point guards, one of which had good stats the last couple of years and one that didn’t. Some of you when faced with actual facts get so defensive for no reason. Pope doesn’t need you to defend him. Trust me, you do a very poor job of it. I’ve been as supportive of Pope as anybody, but I’m allowed to be skeptical of whether a guy will likely be our go-to pg. Butler has had some very good moments over his career, a final 4, etc, but he’s also been very inconsistent shooting the ball and his assist rate is pedestrian. Until I see otherwise, I’m going to assume that Kerr will be the guy most likely to be our main pg when it’s all said and done. Maybe Butler will excel in the new system, but the games I’ve watched of his, I haven’t come away impressed.
You’re right, everyone is allowed to say what they feel regardless of how dumb it is. Just be you, most of us understand

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT