ADVERTISEMENT

Enes Freedom (Kanter) on a personal mission to expose NBA

"It's human nature to give more attention to injustices they can see in their own community or that affect them directly."

This is the part of your argument that caves in at its base. Your argument: we're all hypocrites, and the NBA players are merely focusing on what is directly in front of their eyes. They can't be cognizant of every issue.

This is only a fair point if one were to assume that the league that has US racial injustice on their radar because they're "directly affected" likewise is not "directly affected" by the $5 billion dollars it makes from China annually.

I get not being able to speak up on behalf of every humans rights issue in the world. I also get the idea of only being affected by that which is pertinent to a given community or individual. But your argument lacks credibility by making a case that China is not directly on the NBA's radar and is not "directly affected" by China. It is. More so than any other country outside of the US. You're attempting to make China look like just another country, with it's own version of injustice that is "run-of-the-mill" when placed on the global scale, and that argument is fallacious at its core. When placed against your argument, China should matter more to the NBA because it "directly affects" the NBA to the tune of $5 billion. Does Pakistan have the same "direct effect?" Does North Korea, or Venezuela, or Iran?

The fact that hardly anyone in the league makes any sort of statement about that, while pointing out injustice (perceived or actual) in our nation is precisely the point where they lose all credibility in their arguments. Both are pertinent to the NBA. Massively so. Additionally, the fact that you evoked the cliched and trite Fox News and the lEtTer arguments into the discussion is also very telling about your outlook toward those who disagree with you.
Good post.

It appears the NBA is driven morally by money. I am not sure its “stances” on things ever clearly deviate from its marketability. NBA representatives who have spoken out about human rights issues in China have been rebuked by the league.

If Enes is telling lies, he should be admonished. If he is testifying about the truth and you don’t care, don’t listen. If he is testifying about the truth and you slam him for that, you have issues.

More power to Enes if he believes that he's doing good but "exposing" Capitalists for their acts of capitalism seems a bit dramatic. Where is the first country that any American company goes whenever they want to operate multinational? China. It's definitely hypocritical for some of the leaders of the NBA to point out injustice in this country and not others but let's not all sit on our high horse in this thread and act like we give two shits about what's happening in China either.

Everybody here will move on to the next topic and forget all about China when the next thought pops into your head. We'll all say, "That's horrible" and then move on and do nothing about it but argue on random message boards like that solves the problem.

He didn’t get this loud until he washed out of the league for being literally the worst defensive player at his position in the league and then claimed he was blackballed.
I don’t have an opinion about his game as I watch very very little NBA. But the guy was designing billboard shoes and calling out the NBA as a player. It was pretty loud, because I heard about it and I don’t think I have seen him play since the Hoop Summit.

Friendly reminder: he made $105 million in salary from the hypocritical, Communist party supporting, evil NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT