ADVERTISEMENT

Eleven Year Ago Today

Not too many people were there to see it in person…. LOL.

I had the game on the radio while I was raking up leaves in my backyard, and watched a little bit of it on TV when I would come in for a break.

Not even Mitch could deny this atrocity as a rock bottom point; it was obvious that Joker was done. MB canned him the following day, and so now here we are……

Last edited:
Reactions: STL_Cat
I remember it very well. Took us to 0-7 in the SEC and I was actually happy to see the sad scene, because I knew that was what it was going to take for us to pull the plug on Joker. Sad times
Yep. Even 1 SEC win opened the door for Mitch to give the 3rd year to him like he wanted. His hand was forced w the fan boycott and Jokers infamous “call me when we are 2-10” smartA quote early in the season only to in fact go 2-10

Did anyone actually call him? One of the most infamous dumb coach quoted of all time.
Idk but no doubt some local journalist missed a great opportunity of a headline with some play on “Phones ringing, time to answer, Joker” type article

I turned down free tickets to go. Apparently so did most of y'all 😆 I remember knowing that was the end for Joker. No saving face with Commonwealth that empty.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I don't remember if I went to this one - I think not - but I know I went to the Samford game on senior day and it was this empty

Yep. Even 1 SEC win opened the door for Mitch to give the 3rd year to him like he wanted. His hand was forced w the fan boycott and Jokers infamous “call me when we are 2-10” smartA quote early in the season only to in fact go 2-10
He actually had three seasons. But he shouldn’t have. It was obvious after year two where it was headed.

Did anyone actually call him? One of the most infamous dumb coach quoted of all time.

That wasn't the first time he put his foot in his mouth like that. Totally cringeworthy. Just like when he invited people to bring him plays when he was OC. My buddy knew someone that brought a play to him that iirc was a combination of man and zone blocking. Straight forward play. Not complicated.

Joker asked him something to the effect of, "what kind of blocking is that?" He had to know, you'd think. I thought he was just being a jerk trying to demean the guy, but the guy said he knew him and had talked to him a bunch before, so it's weird. Anyway, he took the paper from the guy and walked away.

Years later, after Phillips is the HC, he runs the play against UT I think and they scored. My buddy says he got an expletive laden text or VM from the guy that gave him that paper. I lmao AND it still cracks me up thinking about it

Reactions: CatsDomain
At the time I was good with it even if I didn't believe in Joker. I wasn't done with him yet at that point, but ending the streak was worth A LOT in my book. No team I hate more than Tennessee. So I will always be grateful to Joker for that.
The one and only time Joker out-coached the opposing HC. I was there for that game and I was delirious to see the streak come to an end.

I think that pic was taken the day before Barney claimed that the fans had an agenda against his good friend Joker. Yes, Barney, the "agenda" was doing a tad better than 2-10.

I
I’ll give you partial credit LOL. If Marcus Lattimore hadn’t gotten hurt early in the second half who knows how the game would have turned out. Not denying that was a sweet victory however.
I recently rewatched the ending of that gane. I had remembered falsely that Spurrier could have won with a field goal.

But we had them down by three points.
The last pass Sourrier called was excusable as he was seeking a win in regulation.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Remember it well. I was one of the few that witnessed the carnage in person.

I was there as well, was embarrassed that I had nothing better to do. Left at halftime when we were down 27-0, the only bright spot was Vandy missing its last XP attempt and the "crowd" gave UK a resounding Bronx Cheer. I laughed, but hell, it was just pitiful.

Reactions: K86
I remember the ease of entering and exiting the parking lots, so we had that going for us!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT