ADVERTISEMENT

Dumb Question on Mormons and Playing Sundays

FiveStarCat

All-American
Oct 4, 2009
I know BYU has the school policy that they don’t play on Sundays and the NCAA works with them on that but do individual Mormons follow the same policy? Obviously Pope is Mormon, as is Chandler, and I’m assuming we’ll see more these first couple of years at minimum so just curious.

Reactions: gossie21
When I was at BYU there was a world class soccer player on our women's team. She declined an invite to the USWNT Soccer tryout because she would have had to play on Sundays. There was one O-lineman from BYU that turned down the NFL because he didn't want to play on sundays (can't remember the name it was back in the 90s).

Kentucky first. Pope gets it. No problem at all with him asserting his faith as a pillar of his makeup and personal philosophy. Was very encouraged that it was mentioned last. When mentioned first (the whole “faith, family, football” schtick), big red flag, that’s the coach that’s gonna choke out your kid or make him live in a locker for a week.

Is Pope a Morman himself? Did he grow up in that faith? Do they only hire Morman coaches?

I know BYU has the school policy that they don’t play on Sundays and the NCAA works with them on that but do individual Mormons follow the same policy? Obviously Pope is Mormon, as is Chandler, and I’m assuming we’ll see more these first couple of years at minimum so just curious.
Yeah pretty sure that's a university level - the college doesn't stand for athletics/competition above Sunday commitments with their church

I'm sure there's plenty of Mormon professional athletes that compete on Sundays - Steve Young, Eric Weddle, Taysom Hill, even Andy Reid I believe

Jimmer, Danny Ainge, Jabari Parker, Mark Madsen - all played on Sundays in the NBA

When you're as good as Chandler is, it's not really considered work.

giphy.gif

By all accounts, Pope is the hardest worker out there, so I don't envision him taking a sabbath day (although I would argue the world would be a nicer place if a sabbath was observed).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT