ADVERTISEMENT

Doug Shows just points a random direction

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I was watching the end of this Texas A&M and Arkansas game and Doug Shows is standing on the end line and has to make an out of bounds call. I'm looking at his face. He just stands there dumbfounded and then picks a direction to point. I've seen him do it before and it's pretty clear to me the game gets too fast for him. It doesn't compute, so he just picks something and confidently acts like he knows what he's saying. Not to toot my horn, but it looked in real time like it was Arkansas' ball, but he pointed to A&M. Not surprising. And it was a close call, but it was off the A&M player at the end.

I just get irritated with these refs and Showtime Shows is one of my least favorites. I had no dog in this fight, but we've been burned by Shows' random guesses before. I'll say what I said one of the last times he screwed us over. I don't think it's bias on his part. It's incompetence. He can't do the job, especially when it gets heated and is moving fast. It's too fast for his synapses to fire. But instead of putting his hands up and acknowledging he has no clue, he picks a call and confidently acts like he knows it's true.

I was watching the end of this Texas A&M and Arkansas game and Doug Shows is standing on the end line and has to make an out of bounds call. I'm looking at his face. He just stands there dumbfounded and then picks a direction to point. I've seen him do it before and it's pretty clear to me the game gets too fast for him. It doesn't compute, so he just picks something and confidently acts like he knows what he's saying. Not to toot my horn, but it looked in real time like it was Arkansas' ball, but he pointed to A&M. Not surprising. And it was a close call, but it was off the A&M player at the end.

I just get irritated with these refs and Showtime Shows is one of my least favorites. I had no dog in this fight, but we've been burned by Shows' random guesses before. I'll say what I said one of the last times he screwed us over. I don't think it's bias on his part. It's incompetence. He can't do the job, especially when it gets heated and is moving fast. It's too fast for his synapses to fire. But instead of putting his hands up and acknowledging he has no clue, he picks a call and confidently acts like he knows it's true.

I think they always have to pick. Sometimes it would be better if they didn't.

There are quite a few that are like that. Too slow, too dumb, or too crooked to ref a game. It makes me sick. Then you have replay and they still get a call wrong if it makes them look bad.

I recognize that I am on this site responding to everyone, and that makes me a little ate up with the team, but my thought is if you pay attention to who the refs are, you are a little too involved. The refs might suck, but they don't try to cheat anyone. Just support your team.

wizard of oz scarecrow GIF

Man, that was a hell of a game! They shut Radford down. Dude kills us every single time we play them. I mean it’s been going on for years. We just can’t stop that guy.
That’s because we don’t play defense. In my 60 plus years of watching basketball I’ve never seen a team struggle with a high pick like these UK teams do. I remember learning that in the third grade

I recognize that I am on this site responding to everyone, and that makes me a little ate up with the team, but my thought is if you pay attention to who the refs are, you are a little too involved. The refs might suck, but they don't try to cheat anyone. Just support your team.
That’s absolutely false and already been proven that some in fact do. If you don’t think some of these guys are paid by Vegas or underground gamblers to control lines then you’re naive at best and flat out ignore it at worst.

There's no way you could have this opinion if you'd watched any of the multiple rooferee (jon higgins) screw jobs that have sent us home from the tournament over the last decade or so...

This is exactly why referees need to be involved in post game discussions, with a screen to show plays and subsequent calls. Then allow them to explain what they saw as an infraction. What was the foul? Why did you call this?
Granted it will never happen, but what if….?
Maybe they'd get better or find another occupation?

Man, that was a hell of a game! They shut Radford down. Dude kills us every single time we play them. I mean it’s been going on for years. We just can’t stop that guy.
Cal can't shut any good player down. I don't think he plans shutting a single player down. Doesn't know how.

That’s because we don’t play defense. In my 60 plus years of watching basketball I’ve never seen a team struggle with a high pick like these UK teams do. I remember learning that in the third grade

We are talented and Cal thinks that’s enough. We are so easy to scout and gameplan for it’s embarrassing.

I'm with you to an extent, but can't imagine them maintaining focus for an entire season when they're doing so many games. I've ref'd before...not easy, maybe as difficult as golf!

Reactions: IL Wildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT