ADVERTISEMENT

Doug Gottlieb New Green Bay Head Coach

Snoop Dogg Lol GIF

I like Doug. I think he’s a very smart guy. People like to make fun of him due to some mistakes he made as a young guy. He’s big on analytics and won’t be at Green Bay long. He’ll have success there and be at a P5 school within 4 years.

I like Doug. I think he’s a very smart guy. People like to make fun of him due to some mistakes he made as a young guy. He’s big on analytics and won’t be at Green Bay long. He’ll have success there and be at a P5 school within 4 years.

What’s this based off of? I’ve never seen anything from him that indicates this at all.

Where has he ever coached?

What’s this based off of? I’ve never seen anything from him that indicates this at all.

It’s not based on anything. It’s my gut feeling. You and the others in this thread can shit on it all you want. But if I’m proven right, I better see this thread regurgitated.

It’s not based on anything. It’s my gut feeling. You and the others in this thread can shit on it all you want. But if I’m proven right, I better see this thread regurgitated.

Easy there Tiger, wasn’t trying to offend you. I was being genuine with my question. Hope you have a better day and I will make the thread personally if you’re right.

I’m not saying he won’t be a good or great coach, I was thinking he might have had some kind of credentials I wasn’t aware of is all.

Reactions: Wonky
Easy there Tiger, wasn’t trying to offend you. I was being genuine with my question. Hope you have a better day and I will make the thread personally if you’re right.

I’m not saying he won’t be a good or great coach, I was thinking he might have had some kind of credentials I wasn’t aware of is all.

No, nothing like that.

I just think sometimes people focus too much on whether someone has experience. Employers for regular everyday jobs do it all the time. That’s why kids fresh out of college can’t get jobs. Oftentimes a person has certain intrinsic qualities that make them an attractive candidate regardless of their experience level, but they get overlooked.

Green Bay obviously saw something they liked in Gottlieb. I personally think he is highly intelligent. He dogged Cal for not getting it done and praised the Pope hire. I don’t know why so many on this board hate/make fun of him. He’s a pretty honest guy IMO.

You don’t leave a home in a kushy LA suburb and getting paid handsomely to be a smartass on radio/TV unless you feel empty inside and want a challenge. That alone tells me something about his motivation level, and also his confidence level. I think he’s a guy who knows how to talk to players. He did play/learn under a HOF’er in Eddie Sutton.

He may fall flat on his face, but just based on personality alone, he is a guy that I would bet on. Again, just a gut feeling.

I can see the argument for sticking with TV but most of those jobs are going to start taking pay cuts whereas coaches continue to make more so I’d go for it too probably.

No, nothing like that.

I just think sometimes people focus too much on whether someone has experience. Employers for regular everyday jobs do it all the time. That’s why kids fresh out of college can’t get jobs. Oftentimes a person has certain intrinsic qualities that make them an attractive candidate regardless of their experience level, but they get overlooked.

Green Bay obviously saw something they liked in Gottlieb. I personally think he is highly intelligent. He dogged Cal for not getting it done and praised the Pope hire. I don’t know why so many on this board hate/make fun of him. He’s a pretty honest guy IMO.

You don’t leave a home in a kushy LA suburb and getting paid handsomely to be a smartass on radio/TV unless you feel empty inside and want a challenge. That alone tells me something about his motivation level, and also his confidence level. I think he’s a guy who knows how to talk to players. He did play/learn under a HOF’er in Eddie Sutton.

He may fall flat on his face, but just based on personality alone, he is a guy that I would bet on. Again, just a gut feeling.

You clearly know more about him than I, so that alone voids anything I would have to say. I don’t have an opinion on him either way, I hope he excels, unless he ever coaches at Louisville.

Just heard that Gottlieb plans to continue his show while coaching, and that GB is going to let him. If that turns out to be true, then I rescind my prediction as this is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Just some fatherly advice Green Bay. Check those travel expense reports over carefully, give somebody else the keys to the locker rooms, and keep those expectations right in line with your coach's intelligence level; below average.

Spends his time giving his opinions on what teams should be doing to win and make themselves better, while analyzing their deficiencies. Time to see if all those opinions translate to wins on the court.

This feels like a "you think you know so much? You do it!" Hire. Second guessing finally pays off.
I made exactly that sort of hire as one of my first moves as a new Operations Manager back in the day and the funny thing is it went very well.

The guy learned some humility and went on to do a stellar job after some intial hurdles.

Very strange, IMO. I’m not expecting this to go well.
Has he even been an assistant anywhere? I didn’t know he even wanted to coach but most guys don’t get picked up from analyst with no previous coaching experience at the D1 or even D2 level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT