ADVERTISEMENT

Dontae Allen is in the portal ...

Ripcord65

Senior
Apr 29, 2009
Dontae is taking his "covid year", and is in the portal. I can't think of anything that would please me any more than for Mark Pope to sign Dontae Allen. I wouldn't care if he was the last man on the end of the bench and got nothing other than garbage minutes ... just to stick that in the face of "the former guy."

Any of y'all think Dontae could help the 'Cats this coming season ?

Go 'Cats ! ! !

tenor.gif

What's the ****ing obsession with Cal? He's GONE. It's over. Move on. So from this take, you want to get a bum ass player to "stick it to Cal" because when he left he proved Cal correct in not playing him at Kentucky?
That 9-16 team roster was so bad. Clarke and Boston were both not ready, terrible PG. Mintz was ok, and Allen was actually one of the more productive players for like 10 games. Jackson was the only legit player. We lost so many games by 5 points that year.

Dontae is taking his "covid year", and is in the portal. I can't think of anything that would please me any more than for Mark Pope to sign Dontae Allen. I wouldn't care if he was the last man on the end of the bench and got nothing other than garbage minutes ... just to stick that in the face of "the former guy."

Go 'Cats ! ! !
No Way Reaction GIF

This thread has plainly not gone the way the OP expected. LOL

But here’s a slightly different opinion: if he’s willing to accept that he’s only here to provide bench depth, sure, why not? We only have nine guys, at some point we can no longer be too picky in filling out this roster.

But do you really think that’s what Allen wants? He’s already had WAY more than his fair share of riding the end of the UK bench. I doubt he wants his final year of eligibility to be spent going back to that.

Nope, Good to know that if "Ripcord" has anymore basketball takes we can immediately ignore them. Anyone that wants to see Allen at UK isn't a UK fan.

@Ripcord65 I usually like your posts
But I think this one is a bad take

And with all due respect understand us talking about Calipari to an extent in reference to recruiting and actual games but it can be taken too far. Kinda makes us sound like we’re a jilted ex that just wants to get back at the one who broke our heart

we’re Kentucky and we are better than that

This thread has plainly not gone the way the OP expected. LOL

But here’s a slightly different opinion: if he’s willing to accept that he’s only here to provide bench depth, sure, why not? We only have nine guys, at some point we can no longer be too picky in filling out this roster.

But do you really think that’s what Allen wants? He’s already had WAY more than his fair share of riding the end of the UK bench. I doubt he wants his final year of eligibility to be spent going back to that.
You are correct, of course, UK90. Sometimes I let my deep and abiding antipathy for the former guy get the best of me ! Mea culpa. Unfortunately, that's only one of my many failings. Alas. :cool:
Go 'Cats ! ! !

.Did Dontae Allen forget how to shoot?
No, he’s actually shot damn well from three point distance (around 40%) during his two years at WKU.

His problem remains the other things …poor defender, doesn’t dribble or drive well, no lateral quickness, etc. He’s basically just a one dimensional spot up shooter. Worked for him in him high school, but not enough for this level.

No, he’s actually shot damn well from three point distance (around 40%) during his two years at WKU.

His problem remains the other things …poor defender, doesn’t dribble or drive well, no lateral quickness, etc. He’s basically just a one dimensional spot up shooter. Worked for him in him high school, but not enough for this level.
Makes you wonder if a guy like him even works at the game to try and be a better player. One would think that with enough work in the gym a player should be able to make major improvements to his flaws over a course of a college career but I’m guessing he doesent take the game seriously. Aside from shooting

Reactions: G-PIP
Well, in defense of the op, we do still play that one team he played well against.

Reactions: UK90
You are correct, of course, UK90. Sometimes I let my deep and abiding antipathy for the former guy get the best of me ! Mea culpa. Unfortunately, that's only one of my many failings. Alas. :cool:
Go 'Cats ! ! !
It’s absolute lunacy though. The best way to stick it to cal is to beat him everytime we play him. Not bring back a former maligned divisive player whose next stop should be a d2 school.

That 9-16 team roster was so bad. Clarke and Boston were both not ready, terrible PG. Mintz was ok, and Allen was actually one of the more productive players for like 10 games. Jackson was the only legit player. We lost so many games by 5 points that year.
Bury the film, but also burn it and pour salt over it. That season was beyond a train wreck and just proved if Allen is in a rotation at UK, you will have the worst team in Program history. He's the definition of having to score to offset what he'll give up. Remember many projecting what he'd do when he left the "shackles" of Cal and he lost playing time and stunk. So now we need to bring him back to make some odd statement to Cal even with it proven that Cal was actually correct in his assessment?

It is a strong consensus on what we felt regarding change being needed. It's been done. To our amazement, Cal actually created the out for UK to do what needed to be done and save $. So the initial celebrations, frustration I fully understood. But we're to the point I'm excited what Mark Pope is doing...I don't care what Arkansas does/doesn't do or what Cal thinks or does. We lived that and wanted fresh new perspective and have it. I'm not being fair to the OP as they were just sharing a take, but sometimes we all reach a point of enough-just move on. If you want someone to leave you, they do, you also can't be angry they were looking to leave because if anything they sensed that it was time to part as well. It worked out how we all wanted and now our "sticking it to Cal" is bringing back a reminder of the worst season in the history of UK Basketball?

Yes. Kal got bailed out by the Covid excuse. That roster was awful. In a normal year that would've been a .500 team. No PG. No shooting. No inside game.

Go 'Cats ! ! !
What does the coaching staff think?

Reactions: Girthang
And unnecessarily ... but, then, that's just the way it is with some posters on this board. I'll just stop there, JMeeks ... but thanks for calling attention to the (in my view, "unnecessary") escalation.
Go 'Cats ! ! !
While I don’t agree Allen would give us much I also don’t agree with speaking to other people in that sort of tone or that sort of language. And it’s especially egregious since it was entirely unprovoked. While your take is certainly bold, it was not offensive nor was your diction distasteful.

I’ve never seen Ralph take to a post that way before so hopefully it was a one off and he was just having a bad day. There are posters on here who regularly accept the role of keyboard warrior, however, and to them I would pay them no mind.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I feel (and feelings are not fact) that Allen’s biggest issue was a failure to put in the work or maybe a lack of intangibles (drive, motor, basketball IQ, etc.). I know he had the injuries, but I thought he recovered from those without hinderance. He had size and length and good enough athleticism AND, best of all, in high school a great feel for shooting from mid-range to distance.

I wanted Allen to play over Boston because I thought he could develop into a good SF by the next season, whereas Boston would be gone to the draft regardless. I blamed Calipari for not developing Allen, but I was wrong. It was always on Allen (whether due to work, intangibles or ability), and no one else.

Last edited:
While I don’t agree Allen would give us much I also don’t agree with speaking to other people in that sort of tone or that sort of language. And it’s especially egregious since it was entirely unprovoked. While your take is certainly bold, it was not offensive nor was your diction distasteful.

I’ve never seen Ralph take to a post that way before so hopefully it was a one off and he was just having a bad day. There are posters on here who regularly accept the role of keyboard warrior, however, and to them I would pay them no mind.
You are right to speak up for the OP. To be fair, it's not him at all as much as just personally sick of the mere mention of anything Calipari related. Then to talk of taking a player to "stick it to Cal" when it made 0 sense--why would Cal care if you took a guy who stinks? Hell he'd really be "upset" if Allen started and played 40 mins.

But this is a more than fair response to my tone/take. Between the Cal and Trent Noah threads....I was about to go off so apologize this is the one that set me off. Doesn't change my stance but the tone with the response could've been far more polite.

And unnecessarily ... but, then, that's just the way it is with some posters on this board. I'll just stop there, JMeeks ... but thanks for calling attention to the (in my view, "unnecessary") escalation.
Go 'Cats ! ! !
Apologize for the tone of the response. That wasn't your intent and while I disagree, could've stated my stance a more polite and appropriate way.

Go 'Cats ! ! !
No. There are too many players better than him. He would never see the floor.
It remains to be seen how many minutes Perry and Chandler receive.
He needs to finish up at NKU, close to home, where family and friends can watch him play.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT