ADVERTISEMENT

Does your family like what you do for a living?

Mar 21, 2015
I bet on sports for a living, and I definitely don't have my parents' approval. But does your family like what you guys do for a living? What do you do for a living? I'm sure we have some liberal-arts professors on here.

I work for a Repo company, repossessing the cars, homes and major purchases of people who bet on sports for a living. My family is okay with it -- at least I'll have steady work as long as P.T. Barnum was right.

Reactions: BigBlueGuru1990
Anybody figured out what "bet on sports" is a euphemism for yet?

Tough question for me. My dad died a month before I was born. He was ran over by a bus as he tried to pick-up a quarter lying in the street. I've been told he was drunk, and he needed money for another bottle. Which I believe, since he was an alcoholic. My mother has been in a mental institution since I was 16. When a visit her, I spend most of our hour trying to convince her I'm not the devil and I have no need for her teeth. So, as you can imagine, her opinion on my work status takes a back seat. She had no other childern and her family disowned us years ago. My father was an orphan. His parents were killed in a car crash, along with his twin sisters. They were only 9 months old at the time. So no ties there either.

I often wonder if they'd be proud of the man I've become, I tell myself they are, but who really knows.

On whether they like what I do for a living? I feel pretty safe saying no. But then again, who really... I work at McDonald's, so yeah, I'm sticking with no.

My family thought I was a high school chemistry teacher. Little did they know I was working with an ex student in an RV on the side.
100_3505.jpg

Reactions: crazyqx83
Your job is only work if you don't enjoy it. I have rarely gotten up dreading to go to the job.
Started helping dad when I was just a little boy 5-6, didn't get paid till I was fourteen. I went to college but
never wanted to do anything else.

I have met and worked for some very fine people. You find out what kind of a person someone is when you work for them.

Last edited:
you might want to write this down:

They say you work at something you love, you never work again a day in your life. I don't know how that works out, but that's what I've been told.

I guess you're still getting paid, but on the other hand you're not working... Oh well.

Your job is only work if you don't enjoy it. I have rarely gotten up dreading to go to the job.
Started helping dad when I was just a little boy 5-6, didn't get paid till I was fourteen. I went to college but
never wanted to do anything else.

I have met and worked for some very fine people. You find out what kind of a person someone is when you work for them.
How was the view from 3rd base back then?

Tough question for me. My dad died a month before I was born. He was ran over by a bus as he tried to pick-up a quarter lying in the street. I've been told he was drunk, and he needed money for another bottle. Which I believe, since he was an alcoholic. My mother has been in a mental institution since I was 16. When a visit her, I spend most of our hour trying to convince her I'm not the devil and I have no need for her teeth. So, as you can imagine, her opinion on my work status takes a back seat. She had no other childern and her family disowned us years ago. My father was an orphan. His parents were killed in a car crash, along with his twin sisters. They were only 9 months old at the time. So no ties there either.

I often wonder if they'd be proud of the man I've become, I tell myself they are, but who really knows.

On whether they like what I do for a living? I feel pretty safe saying no. But then again, who really... I work at McDonald's, so yeah, I'm sticking with no.

You serious Clark ???

And Big Blue Guru and his thug life ACT is tired and played out. "Look at me, Look at me, I am a degenerate liar, and need attention."

and my grandfather and great grandfather,
I do custom home building, its a nice job which I happen to love.

Where at? I work at 84 Lumber if your ever interested in material pricing, if not no worries.

My family likes what I do they just wish I had done it earlier in life. I was always pushed into numbers because it was the only thing I liked so I went in the accounting route even though everyone wanted me to go engineering.

After 5 years of corporate accounting and sitting in a damn cubicle I was toast. Paid good, had benefits and security but I was miserable even when it was time to go home!

Now I'm at 84 Lumber doing takeoffs and selling, because I'm just starting out I do not have a lot of customers yet but it's coming.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
How was the view from 3rd base back then?
?? I don't quite know what you are talking about.

Where at? I work at 84 Lumber if your ever interested in material pricing, if not no worries.

My family likes what I do they just wish I had done it earlier in life. I was always pushed into numbers because it was the only thing I liked so I went in the accounting route even though everyone wanted me to go engineering.

After 5 years of corporate accounting and sitting in a damn cubicle I was toast. Paid good, had benefits and security but I was miserable even when it was time to go home!

Now I'm at 84 Lumber doing takeoffs and selling, because I'm just starting out I do not have a lot of customers yet but it's coming.
Floyd County Ky
I do mostly labor contracts, but I can let you price things for the homeowners. I am not tied into any one supplier. Where ever the homeowner what's to purchase from is ok with me.

you might want to write this down:

They say you work at something you love, you never work again a day in your life. I don't know how that works out, but that's what I've been told.

I guess you're still getting paid, but on the other hand you're not working... Oh well.

Yes I do get paid, lol
I have only been out of work for less than 5 months total in over 26 yrs. I've been fortunate to keep plenty of
work over the years. I haven't been without a job now for several years. I have enough right now to keep us
busy till late fall, or spring, unless something changes.

Bet on dog races for a living. Sometimes go to a local festival and bet on the Dock Dogs competition. Hint: peekapoos can't jump for sh!t.

Sell ludes on the side. Hundreds of thousands of dollars, believe me. Spent and earned. It's hard being a boss.

?? I don't quite know what you are talking about.

Floyd County Ky
I do mostly labor contracts, but I can let you price things for the homeowners. I am not tied into any one supplier. Where ever the homeowner what's to purchase from is ok with me.
Send me an email at robzcats@hotmail.com and I will reach out to you from my work email from there.

Thanks man

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT