ADVERTISEMENT

Does it even matter anymore?

Stan the caddy

Blue Chip Prospect
Apr 14, 2023
College sports (at least the major ones) as we’ve known them are dead. The days of guys out recruiting the competition are over. No longer do tradition, fanbase, facilities, legacy matter. It’s all $$$ now.

If I’m gonna watch pro hoops, the NBA is 1000x more entertaining than what the college game has turned into. Nothing matters anymore. The next title we win will be bought and paid for. That’s sad.

And just think, this was PROMOTED in in much of the same way political trickery works. “Just let them sign some autographs”. Funny we don’t hear that anymore now that the slippery slope was, well, slippery. This has been a grievance from day one based on false notions. It’s a tactic used over and over and the sad part is people don’t typically wake up until? It’s too late. And this is how too late.

Get used to the normal but the next time you’re confronted with “that’s a slippery slope argument”, remember that sometimes if you jump on you’re going to slide to the bottom. This was never about fairness, this was always about grievance and the need some have to find it anywhere they look.

College sports (at least the major ones) as we’ve known them are dead. The days of guys out recruiting the competition are over. No longer do tradition, fanbase, facilities, legacy matter. It’s all $$$ now.

If I’m gonna watch pro hoops, the NBA is 1000x more entertaining than what the college game has turned into. Nothing matters anymore. The next title we win will be bought and paid for. That’s sad.
I just posted something similar. I couldn't agree more with what you posted.

That’s Quark in your avatar. Interesting.

Those things haven't mattered in 20 years though. Coach and fast track to the NBA was what mattered everywhere for 15 years . Guys have a reason to stay in college now atleast.

If the truth was known our 2012 title was probably bought and paid for aswell. The truth won't ever be out though

I agree. I have been confused (and now upset) for awhile on the NIL funds. I thought in the beginning the players just wanted to make some $$$ for appearances and signing a few autographs. Of course, the better player you were (or popular), you would probably make more $$$. Or if you appeared as a whole team, the the payment would be split. It was never said you would be paid for PLAYING. That's what the scholarship was for.

But now we have a 16 YEAR OLD wanting 1 1/2 to 2 MILLION PER YEAR!!!! That is ridiculous!!!!! For ANY college player!!! Yes, I want to win games and titles...but, not bought and paid for.

If these players want so much $$$, then make them pay for their tuition, room and board. Do away with scholarships...or at least a %, based on how much NIL a player makes.

If players want to be paid, then treat them like employees. If they don't produce, then fire them...even mid season.

I know that's not realistic or possible. I'm just letting off steam.😡 These young players (and their handlers, hanger ons) want EVERYTHING good, and none of the responsibilities. Everything has gotten out of hand. Transfers, NIL, etc.

Okay, I'm done ranting. Thanks.🙂

I agree to some extent but I don't see how the NBA is any better

The NIL is a disruptor but it will normalize. Programs willing to adapt will succeed, those that don't will not.

At the moment we as fans have to decide if we're going to support our program financially to a degree we have not in the past , meaning do we want to give $25-$300 a year as a fan that goes directly into the pocket of players.

I was initially against it and have said recently during Cal's tenure that I would not give, and from an ideology standpoint I"m not sure I'll ever agree with it, but my ideology doesn't win championships, so I have given money and I'll continue to do so as long as I believe in supporting UK. Hiring Mark Pope changed my mind on that.

If you think about it, its a two way street. If ALL UK fans gave a donation to the NIL fund, then the program thrives but it also puts power into the hands of the fanbase that its never had before. Imagine having $4 million coming in every year from the fans (which is a significantly small portion of the fanbase giving $25) and the fans collectively saying no, we don't agree with the direction the program is going in.

The program has to respond at least to the extent it acknowledges the fans aren't happy. So in a sense, the NIL that has now been opened up to fan donations has given the fans (collectively) a voice, something that only a select few weathly donors in the past had. I'm not saying it will be impactful immediately, but we saw what happened this year.

If we are being honest, Cal left because he realized he was going to struggle to continue to field a competitive team of players *he* wanted at UK. He had to go to a program like Arkansas that was willing to give him buckets of money and carte blanche on how he wanted to spend it. That world didn't exist at UK anymore (if it ever did for him). That same landscape exists at every big time program that is heavily invested in college basketball. The same thing will happen to him at Arkansas unless he gets results in 3 years.

No NIL money, no competitive team. No competitive team, no coaching job security.

and the University of KY is telling the fans it needs them to give to the NIL fund.

they've handed power over to those who contribute to the fund.

Now if you REALLY want to turn this on its ear, instead of giving individually to the UK NIL fund, UK fans should form a collective of sorts where they donate to a UK donors club that has a fund manager and finance secretary. The UK donors club then donates the money as a single payment to UK, to the tune of $3 - $6m a year for both the basketball and football programs - or any program.

Now talking about having a voice. Mitch Barnhart would be compelled to talk to the fans instead of hiding, the fans could have influence on program priorities such as a new practice facility, or even more ingrained into the day to day activities of the program (which I do no support but its inevitable)

Last edited:
I agree to some extent but I don't see how the NBA is any better.

The NBA is more honest. It’s direct and up front about what it is. It doesn’t play silly games where it pretends like professional sports are amateur sports, and professional players are just “student athletes” …notions that nobody with common sense still believes.

And the NBA follows a clear set of rules and has a structured and orderly player acquisition system with a draft, salary caps, fixed length contracts and players having to wait a few years before they can become free agents.

Whereas CBB has descended into utter anarchy. Everybody is essentially a free agent for sale every year now. And nobody seems to have a clear understanding of what the rules are now, and have little respect for whatever rules still exist.

This nil will not change those that can make the change and figure it out will be the ones successful those that moan and groan and woe is me will fall by the way side think of it like I demand pay for when I work and I can also go to the highest bidder for my work no difference

The NBA is more honest. It’s direct and up front about what it is. It doesn’t play silly games where it pretends like professional sports are amateur sports, and professional players are just “student athletes” …notions that nobody with common sense still believes.

And the NBA follows a clear set of rules and has a structured and orderly player acquisition system with a draft, salary caps, fixed length contracts and players having to wait a few years before they can become free agents.

Whereas CBB has descended into utter anarchy. Everybody is essentially a free agent for sale every year now. And nobody seems to have a clear understanding of what the rules are now, and have little respect for whatever rules still exist.
the NIL wasn't the colleges choice. It was forced upon them and the NCAA knew this was where it would end up which is why they fought it.

The NBA had to evolve into those guidelines you mentioned. The NIL has exploded in the past two years. As I said, its a disruptor but it will normalize. First with some basic rules, and then when it becomes obvious that only a handful of teams have ruined the competitive landscape, they'll take additional steps

just like years ago with the NCAA stepping in to manage student athlete housing, travel per diems, etc

where this thing really started getting off the rails is when coaches started becoming the highest state paid employees. A tenured college professor makes $130K a year and the coach of the football team makes $5m a year.

Colleges asked for this

Last edited:
No. It doesn’t. And as a Bengals fan who is now seeing a Christian, Trey Hendrickson, demand a trade after signing an extension last year, I’ve about had it with watching sports. Too much greed. Too much indifference to winning and losing.

My son will get a D1 scholarship in soccer and maybe make money playing the sport eventually. And I encourage that. But he doesn’t watch sports at all - and I’m encouraging him to carry on with not watching them.
Bengals fan here Mike brown is so tight he squeaks the city of cincy gave him everything he wanted now its time for him to step up trey hendrickson big time player

If you don't like it, you shouldn't watch it.

I find the new off seasons entertaining.

Once the season starts I'm going to cheer like hell for whoever we have.

Bengals fan here Mike brown is so tight he squeaks the city of cincy gave him everything he wanted now its time for him to step up trey hendrickson big time player
I agree Brown can be tight but Trey just signed an extension last summer. He's getting paid. He wants a trade now or he's gonna retire...bs.
He will not be traded and the Bengals don't play up to an ultimatum either.
He agreed to the extension and amount of money. He needs to shut the hell up and do his job.

If we go down to the park and 10 guys pick up shirts and skins, it matters.

This matters exponentially more, even if the rosters are largely being remade year over year.

Don’t care if we’re “buying” a championship. A bunch of teams have money to spend. It’s always going to be incredibly difficult to be the last team standing in April. That’s always meant something, and always will.

It’s just different. Seems worse to us as fans but I bet the players are happier. And if that doesn’t matter to you then think about what that really means and what it means to be a fan. I’m conflicted on all of it but am also pretty sure it’s just change and that’s usually not easy but the dust will settle.

Reactions: AllBlueEverything
As an example would it have been better for college basketball if college had stayed as it was but the G League had more money and was able to take all of the top talent? Debatable.

Those things haven't mattered in 20 years though. Coach and fast track to the NBA was what mattered everywhere for 15 years . Guys have a reason to stay in college now atleast.

If the truth was known our 2012 title was probably bought and paid for aswell. The truth won't ever be out though
Hit the nail on the head. Through my connections in past years I can tell you EVERY championship in NCAA has been bought and paid for since the WOODEN years, and anyone that thinks differently is naive and wrong

Reactions: cats#1again
As an example would it have been better for college basketball if college had stayed as it was but the G League had more money and was able to take all of the top talent? Debatable.
I would 100% prefer that. Not even a question to me. I’d rather watch players who want to get an education, who happen to be pretty good at basketball, who will hang around a few years.

I actively wish the g league had taken off and stolen all the top talent from college. It would have been so much better than what we got.

But Kentucky doesn’t have an nba team .

I agree. I have been confused (and now upset) for awhile on the NIL funds. I thought in the beginning the players just wanted to make some $$$ for appearances and signing a few autographs. Of course, the better player you were (or popular), you would probably make more $$$. Or if you appeared as a whole team, the the payment would be split. It was never said you would be paid for PLAYING. That's what the scholarship was for.

But now we have a 16 YEAR OLD wanting 1 1/2 to 2 MILLION PER YEAR!!!! That is ridiculous!!!!! For ANY college player!!! Yes, I want to win games and titles...but, not bought and paid for.

If these players want so much $$$, then make them pay for their tuition, room and board. Do away with scholarships...or at least a %, based on how much NIL a player makes.

If players want to be paid, then treat them like employees. If they don't produce, then fire them...even mid season.

I know that's not realistic or possible. I'm just letting off steam.😡 These young players (and their handlers, hanger ons) want EVERYTHING good, and none of the responsibilities. Everything has gotten out of hand. Transfers, NIL, etc.

I don't think you're alone on a deserted island. I believe many of us feel your frustration and hate seeing what college sports has become. They are no more than developmental teams for the pros any longer and all the traditions and records are in the past. You and the poster above are right, titles will now be bought by the highest bidder and college ties will mean very little compared to the past. It's truly a shame but, unfortunately, it now looks like we're stuck with it the way it is. Can't see how they would ever be able to reverse what has been done.

I would 100% prefer that. Not even a question to me. I’d rather watch players who want to get an education, who happen to be pretty good at basketball, who will hang around a few years.

I actively wish the g league had taken off and stolen all the top talent from college. It would have been so much better than what we got.

I think I agree with you but it does make me wonder which one I would watch. I live near a decent mid major but barely pay any attention to what they do versus how closely I follow UK.

Reactions: The Public Enemy

Our titles have been bought and paid for for years. Why is it different that a college kid wants 1.5 million when the university is making billions of of them. If they hadn't been so greedy and shared part of winnings years ago this wouldn't be happening

Sadly, this is what the game has become. It's a free agent fiasco and it will get worse.
For us, we fussed over the roster being depleted yearly due to the one and done and NBA draft, now it could be raided due to players greed and promises of greener pastures elsewhere.
Some say titles will be won by only schools that can ante up with huge NIL stockpiles of cash and that probably is true, but it's gonna be something to see when the inevitable upset happens to those teams trying to buy a title by those that can't afford to.

Reactions: DraftCat
Our titles have been bought and paid for for years. Why is it different that a college kid wants 1.5 million when the university is making billions of of them. If they hadn't been so greedy and shared part of winnings years ago this wouldn't be happening
That's fine. I never said not to pay them. But I'm saying if they want it then EARN it. They need to produce, just like an employee. And if not, then they go. They want the good stuff but don't want to be responsible and do something for it. The more they make, the more they should produce something...just like a job. I'm sure at your job if you did live up to your expectations, you wouldn't be there long.

While I agree with what you said that is how things are now. We can watch or not watch as we choose. Once money was introduced to the mix college sports as we knew it was doomed. Bilas and a few others advocated paying players, could they not see where this was going.

I just can't get into NBA basketball because I am not invested in any team, I have been a UK fan for so long that whatever form it takes I'll watch. At my stage of life there is not a whole lot left to do

Exactly how long were the kids supposed to leave it all out on the court just for the name on the front of the jersey while the NCAA made the tournament into the second most profitable American sporting event?

The moment this became a multi billion dollar industry, everything it had started as was dissolved.

Every champions title has been bought and paid for. To think otherwise would be naive. The teams that didn't win paid for players as well.

Reactions: cats#1again
And just think, this was PROMOTED in in much of the same way political trickery works. “Just let them sign some autographs”. Funny we don’t hear that anymore now that the slippery slope was, well, slippery. This has been a grievance from day one based on false notions. It’s a tactic used over and over and the sad part is people don’t typically wake up until? It’s too late. And this is how too late.

Get used to the normal but the next time you’re confronted with “that’s a slippery slope argument”, remember that sometimes if you jump on you’re going to slide to the bottom. This was never about fairness, this was always about grievance and the need some have to find it anywhere they look.
I thought it was implemented so that athletes could get a percentage of all the merchandise being sold by Universities, with their name or image on it. Now it's just being totally abused.

I agree Brown can be tight but Trey just signed an extension last summer. He's getting paid. He wants a trade now or he's gonna retire...bs.
He will not be traded and the Bengals don't play up to an ultimatum either.
He agreed to the extension and amount of money. He needs to shut the hell up and do his job.
It might be over all that money going to Joe that has trey ticked

Kids *gasp* earning their market value for their hard work and talents was always inevitable.

Adapt with the times or go find a new hobby.
I agree to an extent
Have always thought players should have been able to earn something based on how their NIL was marketed
That being said, I think it needs to be regulated more. It’s gotten out of hand
IMO NIL$$ should be earned..as in they play games and prove their worth
Putting the money up front is ridiculous
I have to do the work before I get paid. Why not them?

Reactions: CatsDomain
I think I agree with you but it does make me wonder which one I would watch. I live near a decent mid major but barely pay any attention to what they do versus how closely I follow UK.
I think if it impacted all the college teams, meaning UK was still among the top tier, it wouldn't change my interest at all. And I am not against players making money, but the whole unrestricted budget, using NIL specifically to direct players to a school (which was supposed to be absolutely not how it worked), and players just transferring every single year for more money...well, it's not enjoyable, as a fan.

Reactions: chroix

the college game is still better then the NBA
so i will continue to watch CBB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT