ADVERTISEMENT

"Does Duke have any rings outside of Coach K?" Rasheed Wallace questions if Duke is really a blue blood on BasketballNetwork.net.

Now granted he played at North Carolina and hates Duke but he does raise an interesting point. He thinks UNC, KY and Kansas are the only blue bloods.
All five of Dukes banners were won with Coach K.
Thanks to Goose Givens going nuclear with the most clutch performance in UK history….NO….NO they don’t. (suck it Jim Spanarkle who still doesn’t like UK when he calls our games lol)

Of course, Duke is a blue blood.

They might not have won a championship pre-K, but they were certainly a major player on the scene. Kentucky played Duke in the Final Four in '66 and barely beat them.

On a side note: That is one game that actually might have been better if Kentucky had lost. If Duke has played UTEP for the title (and lost), then they would've been remembered for eternity as the all white (racist) team that lost to an all black team. One a double side note: The '66 championship game was played a few hours after I was born. The family gathered in the hospital room to watch the game on a black and white crappy TV. I've been pissed about that loss ever since. I was basically born pissed off.

But I digress. Yes, Duke is most definitely a blue blood.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Now granted he played at North Carolina and hates Duke but he does raise an interesting point. He thinks UNC, KY and Kansas are the only blue bloods.
All five of Dukes banners were won with Coach K.
100% agree with Wallace. I’ve argued for years teams need to win NCAA with multiple coaches to be a blue blood all time program. Duke is not in that class they are a peg below the top.

Others requirements include winning titles in multiple eras of the game. 2012 has us covered, but we are entering or have entered the next era of the game.

So, we need to win another title in this decade to maintain status.

I mean, UCLA is 100% a blue blood. They have 11 championships, and have been to the same amount of final fours since 2000 as UK has (four)...under no circumstances are they not a blue blood.

Reactions: Jeff Sykes
Vic Bubus (3 Final Fours) in the 60s and Bill Foster in the 70s were successful. UK beat Foster in the title game in 1978.

I put this list in another thread talking about blue bloods. Here are my 2 teirs:

TIER ONE
Kentucky

National Championships in the 40's, 50's, 70's, 90's and 2010's.
Final Fours in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's 90,s, 2010's

UNC
National Championships in the 50's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's
Final Fours in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's, 2020's

Kansas
National Championships in the 50's, 80's, 2000's, 2020's
Final Fours in the 40's, 50's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's, 2020's

TIER TWO
UCLA

National Championships in the 60's, 70's, 90's
Final Fours in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2020's

Duke
National Championships in the 90's, 2000's, 2010's
Final Fours in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's, 2020's

Indiana
National Championships in the 40's, 50's, 70's and 80's
Final Fours in the 40's, 50's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's

Loved Sheed as a player and he's a straight shooter, but he's also known to partake in a lot of mind altering substances and this is one of those times where he was around the circle and needed to say PASS.

It's hard to deny them. Coach K was there for so long, and he DID win with largely separate squads (except the B2B titles). They also have an intangible here, in that everyone either hates them or loves them, and that brings quite a bit if viewership/entertainment value, to go with their success. I think they are blue blood.

That was painful to even type..

I’m no dook apologist, but at least their players went to class. Half of UNC’s banners shouldn’t even be hanging right now.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
UConn is an odd situation because they have 5 titles but the rest of their resume is lacking. They either win the tournament or they're terrible, really no in between. For all-time status I would put them in a category with Louisville. Top 10-15 program all time but not a blue blood

UConn is an odd situation because they have 5 titles but the rest of their resume is lacking. They either win the tournament or they're terrible, really no in between. For all-time status I would put them in a category with Louisville. Top 10-15 program all time but not a blue blood
I agree their situation is odd but it's hard to deny they're tied for 3rd in championships and did it with 3 different coaches. Duke has 5 championships under one coach versus 5 under 3 coaches for UCONN. UCONN has a better case for being a blue blood than Duke.

5 titles with 3 coaches. They may be new money but that stat alone makes them a BB.

Nyxwlz5.png

6SD0WxA.png

3r066b9.png

yyFiKMt.png

T5SsBtS.png

Should UCLA be mentioned since they do have the most Banners ?
I’d say yes. I know they haven’t closed the deal but they’ve been to final 4s an E8s in each decade even if almost all their titles are from a short dynasty…they’ve done enough to still be relevant as a tier 1 program. Unlike Indiana

5 titles with 3 coaches. They may be new money but that stat alone makes them a BB.
I disagree a ton about UCONN being a blueblood. You can be the most successful program in recent years, but still not be a blueblood. IMO, blueblood has always been about consistency over multiple decades and being relevant over multiple decades. There are only 3 programs that have been relevant during every decade that the NCAA Tournament has been around....UK, UNC and Kansas. Those are the 3 bluebloods imo.

Reactions: Beach_Cat
On one side it seems insane to leave them out but they have been pretty irrelevant outside of the cheating years of Wooden and the cheating years of Harrick. I mean if the only way you can win titles is by cheating are you really a blueblood?
What about unc***** if discussing cheating?

I disagree a ton about UCONN being a blueblood. You can be the most successful program in recent years, but still not be a blueblood. IMO, blueblood has always been about consistency over multiple decades and being relevant over multiple decades. There are only 3 programs that have been relevant during every decade that the NCAA Tournament has been around....UK, UNC and Kansas. Those are the 3 bluebloods imo.
I don’t totally disagree. Like I said UConn is new money. But they had a hall of fame coach at the helm for a real long time and won a lot. You have to ask yourself, does the coach make the program (Duke ucla) or does the program make the coach (Kentucky, UConn, unc)? Having won 5 titles with 3 different coaches is pretty damn impressive. Duke also has 5 titles but all with K.

I put this list in another thread talking about blue bloods. Here are my 2 teirs:

TIER ONE
Kentucky

National Championships in the 40's, 50's, 70's, 90's and 2010's.
Final Fours in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's 90,s, 2010's

UNC
National Championships in the 50's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's
Final Fours in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's, 2020's

Kansas
National Championships in the 50's, 80's, 2000's, 2020's
Final Fours in the 40's, 50's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's, 2020's

TIER TWO
UCLA

National Championships in the 60's, 70's, 90's
Final Fours in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2020's

Duke
National Championships in the 90's, 2000's, 2010's
Final Fours in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's, 2020's

Indiana
National Championships in the 40's, 50's, 70's and 80's
Final Fours in the 40's, 50's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's
i think you nailed it
those are the teams that truly put CBB on the map

I don’t totally disagree. Like I said UConn is new money. But they had a hall of fame coach at the helm for a real long time and won a lot. You have to ask yourself, does the coach make the program (Duke ucla) or does the program make the coach (Kentucky, UConn, unc)? Having won 5 titles with 3 different coaches is pretty damn impressive. Duke also has 5 titles but all with K.
The titles are impressive, no doubt. It’s Blueblood vs Newblood. The most successful program of the past 25 years. Bit doesn’t mean they are a Blueblood.

I'm not saying this just because it's in my Kentucky fan contract to hate Duke. But, Duke's entire basketball achievements are 90+% from one coach. That's not a blue blood. That's an historic coach. Duke needs a deeper resume to be a blue blood.

First Final 4 in 1999
Six Final 4s total (8 way tie for 10th)
Didn't win a conference championship between 1970 and 1990
No conference championship since 2006.
No NCAA tournaments in the 80s
No Ncaa tournament from 2016 to 2021
25th in all time wins

They are as blue blood as the Texas Rangers.

Reactions: bthaunert
This is an interesting discussion.

What is Duke? What is a blue blood?

Is a blue blood just checking boxes?

UCLA, IU, Nebraska football, New England Patriots, etc...all have the hardware and check a lot of boxes. All of their glory years happened due to hitting a lick with legendary GOAT coaches and QB in the case of NE and they haven't done squat since.

UK, UNC, Green Bay Packers, Kansas, Bama Football. Won across multiple eras, multiple coaches, multiple QBs in case of GB.

It's only been a couple of years so I suppose it is fair to give Scheyer some time, but if 5-6 years from now Duke hasn't been to a FF...uh oh...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT