ADVERTISEMENT

Winning championships is not necessarily the most important aspect of being the UK coach.

To me it's always being in contention in the SEC. It's caring about all tournaments (preseason, SEC, and NCAA). It's always making the NCAA Tournament. It's a Sweet Sixteen in a down year. It's a Final 4 every three or 4 years. It's a championship every 7 to 10 years. I don't think that's to much to ask for a blueblood. Of course there will be some stretches where that doesn't happen, but for the most part it's about what we average historically since our first title.
THIS. It’s about always being in the conversation.

UK at one point had the most SEC regular season championships combined over all the other teams. Not so sure this is the case anymore.

Lots of records that Kentucky had when I was growing up seem to be falling in the Cal era.

I am genuinely curious as to what decade UK had the best team…..
2010s: Duke 2 titles, 3 Elite Eights. Villanova 2 titles, not much else. UCONN 2 titles, not much else. UK 1 title, 1 title game loss, 2 final fours, 2 elite eights.
This decade probably depends on what you value the most. Titles or consistently getting far in the tournament.
2000s: UNC 2 titles, 2 other final fours. This one isn’t very close IMO. Also, Florida 2 titles.
1990s: Duke 2 titles, 3 title game losses. Has to be Duke. Also, UK 2 titles and 1 title game loss.

Feel free for anyone to chime in on the best teams of the 80s and 70s as I don’t really know.

I know when we're ranked as the GOAT program, they used the success in each decade as the main criteria.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT