ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Wagner

DJ played great today! That’s how he needs to play, downhill with eyes on the rim. Only take the 3 when it’s open. As for Edwards, I don’t know. Just don’t think he will ever be aggressive enough to become a go to guy.
What is it with 6’8” SF/PF who are meekish with flashes of real athleticism? This is our third, Poythress, Brooks, and now Edwards

Really didn’t take long for the 30 posters who laughed after I said he was our highest ceiling point guard when they were blasting cal for promising him the starting job at birth and it should be dillinghams to have egg on their face.

We lose that game by ten plus without him today. Easy. The game slows down for him and he can make those runners in the lane no matter what’s thrown at him. That’s going to be huge in tournament play and it’s honestly the main thing we’ve been lacking the last few years: a dog who can get to the rack.

Latest mock from Bleacher Report has him falling to 28th. Let’s see if he can string together some good games and help himself and this team.

Those guys don’t know squat. DJ was a high first round pick before he got to Lexington. Everyone wants one of those Kentucky guards now. NBA guys know.

Reactions: gharding07
I don't want to hear anything about how he shoots his layups now. He finished right and left handed, right foot left foot..

I think he was just figuring out the angles and bumps that he's had to get used to at this level. He's athletic enough and very crafty. He's a finisher and he's going to get better and better.

I don't want to hear anything about how he shoots his layups now. He finished right and left handed, right foot left foot..

I think he was just figuring out the angles and bumps that he's had to get used to at this level. He's athletic enough and very crafty. He's a finisher and he's going to get better and better.
He finished layups today. Good.

But let’s not ignore the fact that he’s missed more than he’s made on the year.

On the season he’s still our 5th leading scorer and 4th in assists.

He played fine (not great) and he needs to play….but his numbers on the season are still pedestrian 43%Fg and 31%3pt

Florida game worked out as Dilly was not good..but 36 minutes for DJ is a bit high. I’d still like to play even harder and keep the minutes 32 and below

Reactions: KFuqua and crestcat
He played fine (not great) and he needs to play….but his numbers on the season are still pedestrian 43%Fg and 31%3pt

Florida game worked out as Dilly was not good..but 36 minutes for DJ is a bit high. I’d still like to play even harder and keep the minutes 32 and below
He played great (not fine)

Teams played him hard left waiting on that scoop. He developed some counters that worked nicely. Now he should have a game or two before he has to counter those adjustments.

Imo still lacks the elite athleticism to be truly dominant.

Did I ignore that? Or did I offer a simple opinion that he’s getting better?

Also, 5th leading score sounds pedestrian until you factor in we have 5 ppl avg 12 pts a game. He’s .6 ppg off of our 3rd leading scorer and 1.6 ppg from our second leading scorer.

Who coincidentally was terrible today which I only mention to circle back to my original point.

the kids are young and they are growing.

DJ is a leader and he has been playing hard and playing well.

Apologize if none of that does anything for your skepticism.

Teams played him hard left waiting on that scoop. He developed some counters that worked nicely. Now he should have a game or two before he has to counter those adjustments.

Imo still lacks the elite athleticism to be truly dominant.

Yah seems like has made some adjustments for sure!

I think his pathway to dominance will depend on how well he learns to shoot and how well he develops his finishing/floater game along with his mind for the game.

just think too, every day he has to practice against Reed/Dilly and finish over Ugonna. He’ll get better.

This is not a direct comparison because they don’t play the same but how athletically dominant was a guard like Chris Paul ever?

Yah seems like has made some adjustments for sure!

I think his pathway to dominance will depend on how well he learns to shoot and how well he develops his finishing/floater game along with his mind for the game.

just think too, every day he has to practice against Reed/Dilly and finish over Ugonna. He’ll get better.

This is not a direct comparison because they don’t play the same but how athletically dominant was a guard like Chris Paul ever?

I agree he can still be great. Be will just need to completely adjust his game because if he can't blow by college defenders he definitely won't in the pros.

Shai is a guy he could model after too. He isn't as long as shai, but can definitely use his change of pace and feel/counters to get what he wants. Plus DJ is similar to shai too in that he isn't really a gifted distributor by nature.

I know it won't happen, but unless he immediately starts changing his entire game, the kid should really stay another year to get that transformation complete.

What is it with 6’8” SF/PF who are meekish with flashes of real athleticism? This is our third, Poythress, Brooks, and now Edwards
LOL Edwards is anything but meekish. He is the literal opposite . But he does just need to continue doing what he does . He scores 10 and grabs 5-10 rebs . Thats plenty when we have our guards.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
He’s Cal’s chosen one no doubt about it. So he’s going to get a ton of mins no matter how he plays. He played better today in the second half and we need him to play like that all of the time. A guard who will drive will draw a ton of fouls and that’s what we need from him.
I just wish he’d layoff the posing and trash talking after every basket. Get back on defense and play the next play. I get it every now and then, like when you draw a foul on an and one. But not in the flow of the game when you need to get back on defense. He and Dillingham are the worst on the team for it.

He’s Cal’s chosen one no doubt about it. So he’s going to get a ton of mins no matter how he plays. He played better today in the second half and we need him to play like that all of the time. A guard who will drive will draw a ton of fouls and that’s what we need from him.
I just wish he’d layoff the posing and trash talking after every basket. Get back on defense and play the next play. I get it every now and then, like when you draw a foul on an and one. But not in the flow of the game when you need to get back on defense. He and Dillingham are the worst on the team for it.
He’s the starting pg. so he’s gonna get a ton of minutes no matter what. Fify

How is he the chosen one again?

Reactions: thedahc
He’s the starting pg. so he’s gonna get a ton of minutes no matter what. Fify

How is he the chosen one again?
Cal has a player every year that seems to be his pet, this year it’s DJ. The history he has with the Wagner family I’m sure increase this with DJ. I’m not saying this to bash DJ, I’m just saying that’s the way it is.
Here’s Cal’s post game press conference quote. “As we were playing the second half I told the guys, just so you know Tre and DJ will only sub when they feel like coming out.”
I hope DJ leads us to a championship, but if you’re denying Cal plays favorites then we might as well agree to disagree.

Cal has a player every year that seems to be his pet, this year it’s DJ. The history he has with the Wagner family I’m sure increase this with DJ. I’m not saying this to bash DJ, I’m just saying that’s the way it is.
Here’s Cal’s post game press conference quote. “As we were playing the second half I told the guys, just so you know Tre and DJ will only sub when they feel like coming out.”
I hope DJ leads us to a championship, but if you’re denying Cal plays favorites then we might as well agree to disagree.
I’m gonna press you a little bit. What is your proof of this? Your citing his comments from yesterday about he an tre as your proof. But which two players were playing the best? DJ and tre. Do you want him to take out his two best players? Also, how do we know that Tre isn’t his favorite? Early in the year tre played more mins than anyone. He did mention his name as well as DJ.

I’ve said this many times. The fans have created this narrative

DJ = Cal’s proxy
Reed = fans proxy.

Why is this ? How did this become the perception? Because if a family connection? If that’s the case I would have expected Brad to get more run.

I’m gonna press you a little bit. What is your proof of this? Your citing his comments from yesterday about he an tre as your proof. But which two players were playing the best? DJ and tre. Do you want him to take out his two best players? Also, how do we know that Tre isn’t his favorite? Early in the year tre played more mins than anyone. He did mention his name as well as DJ.

I’ve said this many times. The fans have created this narrative

DJ = Cal’s proxy
Reed = fans proxy.

Why is this ? How did this become the perception? Because if a family connection? If that’s the case I would have expected Brad to get more run.
You’re not going to see my point of view so I’m not wasting my time. Telling someone to prove their point of view on a subject like this is silly and impossible. We’re all just fans on a message board giving opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. I realize my “take” or opinion is just that “my opinion”, not fact just the way I see it. If others on this board would realize this it would be a much better place. But in today’s society everyone with a keyboard and internet access suddenly becomes an authoritarian badass.

You’re not going to see my point of view so I’m not wasting my time. Telling someone to prove their point of view on a subject like this is silly and impossible. We’re all just fans on a message board giving opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. I realize my “take” or opinion is just that “my opinion”, not fact just the way I see it. If others on this board would realize this it would be a much better place. But in today’s society everyone with a keyboard and internet access suddenly becomes an authoritarian badass.
I just asked why you feel this way. Lots of folks feel this way. I think it’s a false narrative but I gave you an opportunity to defend it. Maybe there’s evidence I don’t know about.

Reactions: thedahc
DJ played great today! That’s how he needs to play, downhill with eyes on the rim. Only take the 3 when it’s open. As for Edwards, I don’t know. Just don’t think he will ever be aggressive enough to become a go to guy.
On this team Edwards just needs to try and be Darius Miller; glue guy who gives us a little of everything depending on what we're needing

Reactions: bigbluelou
On this team Edwards just needs to try and be Darius Miller; glue guy who gives us a little of everything depending on what we're needing
Good assessment about miller. But if he’s gonna be miller then he’s gonna have to ignore the draft for a minute and come back to get better.

Edwards is the type of player that Kentucky has had an abundance of. High ceiling, talented kid with draft aspirations. But they always seem to split too early only to never be heard from again. There’s literally no reason Edwards should not be here again next season.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Edwards looked fine today. On that steal+basket, he extended his lead over the guys pursuing him. Re-watch it and see. People imagine that the light goes on for every player at the same time. It doesn't. Joe B's expectation: 2nd semester, sophomore year. For the UK fan these days that's hard cheese because Calipari's players are in the pro ranks by then. There's no magic ingredient or coaching maneuver around the need for time.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Good assessment about miller. But if he’s gonna be miller then he’s gonna have to ignore the draft for a minute and come back to get better.

Edwards is the type of player that Kentucky has had an abundance of. High ceiling, talented kid with draft aspirations. But they always seem to split too early only to never be heard from again. There’s literally no reason Edwards should not be here again next season.
If he'd embrace the glue-guy role he might yet play himself back into the first round, ala MKG

Reactions: Rockfly78
He will become more invaluable as the season progresses. His ability to defend and penetrate to the basket when outside shots aren’t falling is essential to this team’s success. One of my favorite players on the team..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT