ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed thus far in Leary's accuracy

Well, first half he was 8-20 so not sure that's 'fine'. Not all on him, admittedly, but did miss a couple of shorter throws. Much, much better in the 2nd half so absolutely not pushing the panic button or anything like that. More than likely a rust/comfort in new scheme thing rather than the injury has messed up his accuracy, imo.

I was also curious as to why we threw long so often instead of PA and working the middle of the field, but I know LC knows infinitely more football than I do.
First of all, there were some poorly run routes, and Stoops acknowledged that. There were also some drops of catchable passes. I watched Leary closely. His accuracy was good. His velocity was good. However, he threw into the coverage a couple of times while not spotting an open receiver on the other side of the field. That is why I thought he looked a little rusty, which doesn't bother me since he missed most of last season with an injury.

We are lucky to have Leary. I still worry about the OL, even though I saw noticeable improvement on Saturday compared to 2022. The left side of the OL played well. Burton played well. The right side blocked fairly well in our running game, but not so well in pass protection. Losing Horsey hurts us and concerns me. There will inevitably be more injuries.

It did seem that they tried to force the ball downfield more than I expected.
I'm not sure he was forcing it downfield as much as he was locking onto his first read. On some of those throws, there were open receivers he didn't see on the other side of the field. He wasn't seeing the entire field. Some of that is learning Coach Coen's system. Some of it is rustiness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT