ADVERTISEMENT

Some immediate reactions and questions

Wasn't there. So how much drunk was the crowd and how many more added fights were there with selling beer inside the stadium? Probably won't ever be hotter & thus ever sell more beer.
I don't think it changed much where I was seated in 15. The guy two rows in front of me was probably in bad shape the 2nd half but we left. My only issue was we had 2 Ball state fans beside us and a guy with them in a USC jersey. These drunk guy in front of them wouldn't shut up. He had to keep mouthing at the Ball state fans which lead to a lot of back and forth. The O was struggling the 1st half and we had to listen to back and forth crap until UK pulled ahead. I don't thinknit would have been much different if he wasn't drunk. There was several times I wanted to tell them to just shut up so we could watch the game. Lol

Reactions: vhcat70 and hmt5000
I think a lot of the sacks where on Scang and Yenser. Levis played the year before with half the number of sacks. Levis liked to try and extend plays more, but it wasn't all on him.
That’s certainly possible. But even in Levis’ first year here with a pretty good O-Line, he was sacked 3 times by Louisiana Monroe in the first game (and Beau Allen was also sacked in that game on the last drive).

Leary just seems to me like he’s pretty good at shifting around in the pocket just enough to make sacks more difficult, and seems better at doing that than what I saw from Levis. I was a big Levis fan, but I just think this is an area where Leary is probably much better.

From my 200s section, not a single issue whatsoever. The guys who yell “twist his d*ck!” fifteen times a game have been there well before alcohol was sold.
Yup. I was concerned about selling booze, but no issue at all today that I Saw. None!!

Reactions: hmt5000
What I didn't like was the very passive play and very passive playcalling on the defensive side of the ball in the second half. Is UK the only team in the country who doesn't at least try to pressure a freshman QB to at least see if he will make a bad decision? To rush 3 and drop 8 that resulted in 3 long third down conversions was just inexcusable from the players and coaching staff. If they can't cover any better than that they might as well bring the house at the QB.

Apparently the new turf caused lots of slipping & Horsey's injury as well as some Ball St injuries. Gotta rough that new shiny stuff up! Send some frats out to play 2 hand touch or flag football every day this week.

We only had the ball 21 min the entire game, threw the ball 31 times vs 20 rushing attempts. Doesn’t give you a lot of room for developing guys or spreading out the carries, the first team O needed all the snaps they could get.

Reactions: hmt5000 and catben
We only had the ball 21 min the entire game, threw the ball 31 times vs 20 rushing attempts. Doesn’t give you a lot of room for developing guys or spreading out the carries, the first team O needed all the snaps they could get.
True. But that’s cause our defense couldn’t get off the field. Letting teams go on these long drives is gonna hurt even more with the new rules

True. But that’s cause our defense couldn’t get off the field. Letting teams go on these long drives is gonna hurt even more with the new rules
The discrepancy in plays/time of possession was mostly due to the fact that we scored a defensive TD and ran a kick back for a TD. That’s two offensive drives that we lose because the defense has to go right back out again.

Our defense held them to just 4.2 yards per play, which is a good number. Out of Ball State’s 10 drives, only 3 of them were sustained drives, and 2 of those were in the second half when we had backed off a bit.

Leary looked shaky overall with some good plays. We don't need him to be a world beater, but he has to be able to make short hitches, check downs, and throw with touch in space on a consistent basis. The down field throws will be there, especially if Davis continues to draw defenses closer to the line.

Leary flat out missed some easy pitch and catch throws today. He also missed some wide open receivers today with the wrong read.

How much was Leary under center at NC State? Because he didn't look the most comfortable with his footwork and timing coming from under center. It is one game, so TBD. It could be any number of things, but we will have to probably wait until the SEC portion of the schedule to have a good idea on where he will end up this season.

The line pass protected well enough today for Leary to have plenty of time. In the SEC the windows will be tighter.
First game back after the injury... I think its fair to give him a couple games to get back into it. His face looked way too nervous/hyped in some close in shots that first half.

1. We won by more than the spread, so we did fine.
2. O-Line was better than game 1 last year. But has plenty of room to improve. I thought Bowles, Rodríguez , Rey and one other O-Lineman got a rep or three in but could be mistaken (probably am).
3. Defense did give up a lot of 3rd downs (which we did early last year) but we looked more dominate against a fairly good O-Line.
4. Leary was just rusty and was trying to knock off the rust. Just the play where the defender was at his feet and Leary completed the pass without getting happy feet shows what he can do. There was 2 or 3 times that Leary got the ball off (no all completed passes) but got the ball off and Levis would have been sacked last year.
5. Brown, Key and Robinson were great. We did not get to see much of Crowdus or Anthony Brown. We should be good with another game or 3 under our belt.
6.Punting averaged 47 yards a punt (not bad) and only punted 2 times.
7. Defense had 2 TD (one did not count) and had an INT (taken away without a cause).
We look like an upper level (size and speed) SEC team on both sides of the ball. Just some little tweaks and we will be good.

Reactions: southindycat
I liked Learys pocket presence
I thought Davis was very good making something out of nothing
Key is our best receiver
Wallace is very good at tackling
Our kicker is really good

The bad
Dline no pass rush
DB’s no pass breakups
Oline trash again really sad performance
Center snaps were often crap
Not enough tight end usage
Receivers not getting separation

Reactions: seccats04
Returned Kick for a td and scoop and score offsets that a bit. 2 td's with 10 seconds of possession.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Let's be real, we ain't beating Tennessee, Georgia, or Bama, not even close to having a chance. Louisville will be a struggle as stoops is known to lose against creative offensive first year coaches even though he has been ar UK for 11 years. Other than that , cats haven't beaten MS St. in 13 tries on the road (I think that is the stat.) Other than that between Missouri, usc, vandy, and florida, even though these teams are anywhere from mediocre to hot garbage, uk will lose one. Record will be 7-5 with a chance for 8-5 in a bowl game. And don't spew the nonsense about team getting better each week. Other teams get better each week too. Not a bad record and great for UK historically, but we all know expectations have been raised.

Let's be real, we ain't beating Tennessee, Georgia, or Bama, not even close to having a chance. Louisville will be a struggle as stoops is known to lose against creative offensive first year coaches even though he has been ar UK for 11 years. Other than that , cats haven't beaten MS St. in 13 tries on the road (I think that is the stat.) Other than that between Missouri, usc, vandy, and florida, even though these teams are anywhere from mediocre to hot garbage, uk will lose one. Record will be 7-5 with a chance for 8-5 in a bowl game. And don't spew the nonsense about team getting better each week. Other teams get better each week too. Not a bad record and great for UK historically, but we all know expectations have been raised.
Lol

The few standouts that we’re not expected for me

1. Special Teams was outstanding…those extra lost points that are no more will win a game or two in 12 game slate

2. The interior Dline was in backfield for tackles for loss a lot….which isn’t norm for Stoops units. And was more than Walker. Silver, Dinkins. Saunders, Ox etc…all got solid penetration

3. Maxeell Hairston is the main newcomer….and he looked like he belonged out there. Pretty twitchy guy. Good development by Colllins as a coach!

Reactions: Samurai Cat
The few standouts that we’re not expected for me

1. Special Teams was outstanding…those extra lost points that are no more will win a game or two in 12 game slate

2. The interior Dline was in backfield for tackles for loss a lot….which isn’t norm for Stoops units. And was more than Walker. Silver, Dinkins. Saunders, Ox etc…all got solid penetration

3. Maxeell Hairston is the main newcomer….and he looked like he belonged out there. Pretty twitchy guy. Good development by Colllins as a coach!
Agree with you on the DL... especially in the first half. .People on here complaining we wasn't getting penetration in their backfield need to rewatch the game.

Only partly. It was also because we scored 2 TD's w/o the O ever being on the field, so BS got the ball right back.

Only partly. It was also because we scored 2 TD's w/o the O ever being on the field, so BS got the ball right back.
Yeah... funny how that works. Their 7 minute first scoring drive didn't help either. Bottom line is that we played a mediocre game against a pretty solid opponent and beat them soundly. I remain optimistic... by which I mean I'm not discounting any possibilities.

If that's the play I'm thinking about I would be hard-pressed to call that a "drop", the ball just appeared to have grazed off his fingers.
Maybe, I only saw it live from end zone where it happened but it looked like he did a poor job with his hands. It was not a simple catch but it was a good throw. Key also had a bad drop earlier or right after. Forget sequence.

Maybe, I only saw it live from end zone where it happened but it looked like he did a poor job with his hands. It was not a simple catch but it was a good throw. Key also had a bad drop earlier or right after. Forget sequence.
I was in the end zone right in front of it. Leary made a good throw and Key almost had it. It is a timing play and was barely off

My reaction after first quarter: Man, we look bad.

After leaving the tv to work on a car, Im shocked at the final score.

It's kinda like a recent georgia team showed up.

Im saying we looked above average just looking at the final score.
17 points attributed to other-than-offense:
-- 1 x scoop and score (should have been two)
-- 1 x kickoff return for touchdown
-- field goal after D-fense created turnover on short-field (no offensive movement)

So final score of 27 - 14 more accurately reflects our Offensive output... especially since QB/RB #1 played the entire game. in fact if you take away the 30 yard score while trying to run out the clock at the end of the game (literally seconds on the clock), a final score of 20 - 14 is more reflective of our OFFENSIVE output...

So my assessment is that we just looked "average", unless Ball St ends up being world beaters... Let's see how they (Ball St) stack up against Georgia next week....

Go CATS!

Last edited:
am afraid you're correct....

I liked Learys pocket presence
I thought Davis was very good making something out of nothing
Key is our best receiver
Wallace is very good at tackling
Our kicker is really good

The bad
Dline no pass rush
DB’s no pass breakups
Oline trash again really sad performance
Center snaps were often crap
Not enough tight end usage
Receivers not getting separation
Weaver did very well with giving us some rush. But where is Wade, Fearby and Matthews? Time for them to help with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT