ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

cbq4959lz-1a.jpg
Love those steam engines. They live and breathe.

Last edited:
Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

66° this morning with light winds. Mid 80's expected for the high today. Normal workout and monster walking for the morning and training my 1 student this afternoon.

Played 1 of the 2 softball games last night as the second was cancelled due to weather. We won 26-5 (run rule end of 4th). I went 2-3 and a walk. Bounced my first hit off of the left/center fence. Guys were laughing asking where that power came from (normally base hitter). I told them probably the wind from the storms coming in (probably some truth there).

Hump day folks, so stoke those engines and climb that hill.

As always, be safe out there and God Bless.

The union drafted soldiers in Kentucky. But they rarely if ever got their quota. They asked for 16,000 and got 2000. They asked for 12,000 and got 4,000. Kentucky stayed in the Union (though the Confedetate invasion didn't help) due to slavery. The thought among unionists was slavery is best protected by maintaining the status quo (staying in the union). Joining a risky confederacy meant certain death to slavery if it lost the war. This is why Kentucky had slavery until almost 1866. They tried to prolong slavery for as long as possible. In 1864, union support in the state rapildy diminished. The union treated the state as conquered land. Due to the state being southern and a large number of the young men of the state enlisting in the confederate army. Martial law was established in 1864, confederate supporters were shot in the streets if a Union soldier was killed in the state. This angered the common man. Many Kentuckian's slaves simply ran away and joined the union army. This angered the slave holding class.

A lot of Kentuckians, something like 70 percent of the fighting men, simply sat the war out. Deciding to fight against their fellow southerners or their country was too much for many. And really, the state never made an official choice. Both CSA and USA governments existed with citizens loyal to one or the other. One could make arguments that neither the Union or Confederate governments were represenative.
I read about 100K KYians served in the Union Army including 20-25K former slaves from 1864 on. Also read that 25-40K KYians served in Confederate Army. So around 125K KYians were soldiers. No idea whether that's a small /typical/large number per population.

I read about 100K KYians served in the Union Army including 20-25K former slaves from 1864 on. Also read that 25-40K KYians served in Confederate Army. So around 125K KYians were soldiers. No idea whether that's a small /typical/large number per population.
Those numbers aren't right. I have a book called divided loyalties by James Finck. 66K white union, 45k confederate. Plus 25,000 black union soldiers. The 125k number is coming from counting homeguard units and guerrillas. My numbers are actual soldiers.

Those numbers aren't right. I have a book called divided loyalties by James Finck. 66K white union, 45k confederate. Plus 25,000 black union soldiers. The 125k number is coming from counting homeguard units and guerrillas. My numbers are actual soldiers.
Thanks. 66+25 = 91. Close to 100 estimate imo. 25-40 Confederates vs. 45 is in the same range for me. My 125 was Union + Confeds, 100+25 (vs. 40). Yours is 66+25+ 45 = 136. Again, similar enough for me.

I had a grandfather, 3 cousins, and 2 uncles in the 6th. It’s nucleus was formed right here in barren county. Genera Joseph Johnston refused Breckenridge’s request to take the brigade with him to Virginia. Because he said there were no finer soldiers in the confederate army. They were used as shock troops. Them and Cockrell’s Missouri “iron brigade”. Were the best brigades in the army of Tennessee.
Yep. I was raised in Park City, KY. It was Bell's Tavern then Glasgow Jct and now Park City. The old Bell's Tavern ruins were the place for one of their reunions. Some of those pictured are my relatives but I have no way of knowing who is who. This was in my grandfathers stuff. He died before I was born.

440775309_7480166072098912_3858078605882342621_n.jpg

Yep. I was raised in Park City, KY. It was Bell's Tavern then Glasgow Jct and now Park City. The old Bell's Tavern ruins were the place for one of their reunions. Some of those pictured are my relatives but I have no way of knowing who is who. This was in my grandfathers stuff. He died before I was born.

440775309_7480166072098912_3858078605882342621_n.jpg
Barren county was pretty pro-confederate. Only the etoile area was pro-union.

Barren county was pretty pro-confederate. Only the etoile area was pro-union.
I just finished rereading William C. Davis' "The Orphan Brigade". A lot of stuff in it.

I also just was gifted a book "Reminiscences Of A Soldier of the Orphan Brigade" for giving those two pictures for the book. It is just a collection of speeches that Lieut. L.D. Young, Paris, KY, gave after the war.

My second great grandfather David M.C. Edwards was in the 6th Regiment, Kentucky Mounted Infantry. He may have know Mr. Spillman. David was wounded badly outside Savannah and was shipped by boat to Owensboro in December 1864.

I just finished rereading William C. Davis' "The Orphan Brigade". A lot of stuff in it.

I also just was gifted a book "Reminiscences Of A Soldier of the Orphan Brigade" for giving those two pictures for the book. It is just a collection of speeches that Lieut. L.D. Young, Paris, KY, gave after the war.

My second great grandfather David M.C. Edwards was in the 6th Regiment, Kentucky Mounted Infantry. He may have know Mr. Spillman. David was wounded badly outside Savannah and was shipped by boat to Owensboro in December 1864.
I recommend 4 years with the boys in gray. It’s written by a confederate in the 6thKY. Gervis Grainger. Believe he was from Logan county.

He talks about being captured and sent back to Kentucky and being forced to draw tickets to see which of his fellow prisoners, will be killed. Said he wants to kill the yankee general who was responsible.

Had 2 Malamutes in the past and they were both good guard/protector dogs. Lately It has been Pyrenees mixes as they are good family & stock protectors. The monster pictured below. Her size alone keeps people at bay.

Resized-20211208-162523.jpg
My folks had a Great Pyrenees named Sam. Sam was a good dog. He was also boss over all the other dogs and coyotes. Boxers were on the list. You have to give them exercise. They say a tired dog is a good dog. I love Boxers though. They have been called the clowns of the dog world and stand up comedians. They can be a barrel of laughs.

Had 2 Malamutes in the past and they were both good guard/protector dogs. Lately It has been Pyrenees mixes as they are good family & stock protectors. The monster pictured below. Her size alone keeps people at bay.

Resized-20211208-162523.jpg

Kept me at bay, I almost didn't look at the picture (Big Dog! I like dogs though...)... 😁

Last edited:
Oh, so, I've been busy today and haven't kept up on the latest involving UKBB. What did I miss? Mark Pope is still our coach and things are progressing along fine right? I just want to know what's going on before I dive into the 'RR' board.

Last few years I never went to Rupp Rafters, I never post there but do go over there now each day to see if Pope got any new players. Excited about Kentucky Basketball again feels good.

I like the roster Pope is putting together. Considering how little time he has had, fans should be very impressed with the team we have so far.

Not sure if I can even say this here, yet... But you guys are good people. Not sure what it means to anyone but I am told I was appointed a Kentucky Colonel. (My brother in-law in Radcliff, did this for me.) I am over the top excited.

Last few years I never went to Rupp Rafters, I never post there but do go over there now each day to see if Pope got any new players. Excited about Kentucky Basketball again feels good.

I like the roster Pope is putting together. Considering how little time he has had, fans should be very impressed with the team we have so far.
Given time, I think we will be happy with him.

Oh, so, I've been busy today and haven't kept up on the latest involving UKBB. What did I miss? Mark Pope is still our coach and things are progressing along fine right? I just want to know what's going on before I dive into the 'RR' board.
Rafters seems okay -- until first loss. I really love HoB.

Last edited:
Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

68° this morning with cloudy skies and rain in the forecast. Storms and heavy rains last night had water flowing through my shop. Standing water still in the back portion of the shop with dried water lines showing water had flowed through the front portion to the back. More rains coming in the next few days. One positive though, my fishing holes that were low of water will get back to normal so, the fishing should pick up.

Basketball recruiting seems to be going well. Cautiously optimistic at this point. Needed a change and the fan base for the most part seems to be rallying around Pope. Not so much the first couple of days but, hope springs eternal so...

Being lazy today, walked the monster already and will send out 5 birthday cards (triplet grandsons and twin sons) with checks. After that, get the butter and other potato enhancing condiments out as the couch will be my partner for the "rest" of the day.

Be safe today folks and God Bless.

Good morning folks.

Hectic day yesterday. I had to give a speech in front of 500 people, including quite a few I couldn't afford to piss down my leg in front of. I'd been dreading it for weeks. About two hours before hand, I snuck into the auditorium to run through it (I am committed to no notes) and my mind went blank. Then my chest tightened and I could hear my voice cracking. So at that point, the pressure just rocketed.

But then it went very well. By the crowd response, and the seemingly sincere kind words of people who went out of their way to say something nice, it was fine. I've never enjoyed public speaking, or being on TV which I did a fair amount of my younger days, but it has gotten harder, not easier as I've aged.

Enjoying this moment of Cat roster building. Happy with Pope's energy. The team he is assembling should be fun to watch, while lacking some of the dazzling talent of recent years -- which got UK nowhere since 2019. Right now having Pope as the coach feels like getting out of a toxic relationship with a woman who initially thrilled you then drove you crazy with all her drama, and finding someone stable who seems to appreciate you. As fans, we're in the stage right now where we are happy just to have found a safe harbor of normalcy. But soon enough we're going to want to feel dazzled again.

Hope you all have a good day.

"Right now having Pope as the coach feels like getting out of a toxic relationship with a woman who initially thrilled you then drove you crazy with all her drama, and finding someone stable who seems to appreciate you. As fans, we're in the stage right now where we are happy just to have found a safe harbor of normalcy. But soon enough we're going to want to feel dazzled again."
Good analogy.

Thanks. Provides me hope. Dr. gave me 12-18 months. Currently on month 16.
Hang in there & fight on, Bro.

Lady friend's husband's dementia is getting worse by the day. She's rightfully torn up & nervous about what to do next (They are the most loaded people I know, so money ain't the problem.). Last night when I saw her at the bridge club she said, "My Mom told me getting old ain't for sissies. Now I know what she meant. ". Tough older lady. Her husband is a hellava nice guy to boot. Retired doc.

Hey everyone, glanced at posts but will catch up later in the week if it rains. Back from the lake....Dad and I caught 4 stripers so meat in the freezer and relief that Dad caught his first couple of fish this year. I also got quite a bit of work done.

I now have work here at home to catch up on before the rain.

Looking good for Cat fans again.

Good morning folks.

Hectic day yesterday. I had to give a speech in front of 500 people, including quite a few I couldn't afford to piss down my leg in front of. I'd been dreading it for weeks. About two hours before hand, I snuck into the auditorium to run through it (I am committed to no notes) and my mind went blank. Then my chest tightened and I could hear my voice cracking. So at that point, the pressure just rocketed.

But then it went very well. By the crowd response, and the seemingly sincere kind words of people who went out of their way to say something nice, it was fine. I've never enjoyed public speaking, or being on TV which I did a fair amount of my younger days, but it has gotten harder, not easier as I've aged.

Enjoying this moment of Cat roster building. Happy with Pope's energy. The team he is assembling should be fun to watch, while lacking some of the dazzling talent of recent years -- which got UK nowhere since 2019. Right now having Pope as the coach feels like getting out of a toxic relationship with a woman who initially thrilled you then drove you crazy with all her drama, and finding someone stable who seems to appreciate you. As fans, we're in the stage right now where we are happy just to have found a safe harbor of normalcy. But soon enough we're going to want to feel dazzled again.

Hope you all have a good day.
Congratulations on the speech. I hated having to do that kind of thing in my 'previous' life. Thank goodness those days are in my rearview mirror. 😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT