ADVERTISEMENT

Cream Abdul Jabbar announcing today. Where do you think he winds up?

Pretty sure StLouis has been a done deal since he announced he was in the portal.

Would have been cool to see him at a major conference school.
Goodman saying it will "surprise some people" makes me question that since it was always assumed he would follow his coach to SLU I think.

Reactions: WildcatNC
He’s fun to watch but I really hope it isn’t a “surprise Kentucky announcement”. He’s not a major D1 player
Better or worse than Khalifa? If he comes here, hopefully it's for depth. If he's not coming here (which, why would he come here in the first place?), let him find a spot at Duke. I hear they have a ton of openings.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Not here, so my interest is limited.

However, it will be interesting to see who needs a novelty.

Whoever it is, we should invite them to play us at Rupp, lol

Reactions: University-6
Better or worse than Khalifa? If he comes here, hopefully it's for depth. If he's not coming here (which, why would he come here in the first place?), let him find a spot at Duke. I hear they have a ton of openings.
Yeah idk. They are pretty similar but Khalifa may be the more complete player. But their weaknesses are extremely similar. At least I know Khalifa put his stats up against B12 competition. Larry Nerd is a soft body that has to be more perimeter oriented bc he can bang w physical bigs. He’s skilled in passing and shooting but that’s it. It’s like a super poor man’s Kyle Wiltjer…Kmart brand

Goodman saying it will "surprise some people" makes me question that since it was always assumed he would follow his coach to SLU I think.
Everyone on social media has to do "click bait" headlines. Surprise might just be "St Louis" vs a bigger name school. A really good guy I watch on youtube, does Guitar stuff, has 1m viewers... said to be honest with you, even I have to do it. He said people just scan headlines on social media, and you have to do it, to survive

He’s fun to watch but I really hope it isn’t a “surprise Kentucky announcement”. He’s not a major D1 player
With discipline,and getting his weight under control, he would be fantastic. He's got great court vision, is a great passer iirc.

Last edited:
Reactions: EliteBlue
Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yeah idk. They are pretty similar but Khalifa may be the more complete player. But their weaknesses are extremely similar. At least I know Khalifa put his stats up against B12 competition. Larry Nerd is a soft body that has to be more perimeter oriented bc he can bang w physical bigs. He’s skilled in passing and shooting but that’s it. It’s like a super poor man’s Kyle Wiltjer…Kmart brand
You’re out of your mind if you think khalifa is even close to as good as this guy… cmon! Lol. Khalifa couldn’t dominate at Charlotte; and scored 5 points at byu.

Reactions: king of cali
I've always found it odd how a coaching staff/program allow guys to be out of shape? He's a talented shooter/skilled offensive player and how much better could he be if he took this serious and got in shape?
True. But apparently he likes that 'regimen,' since most expect him to follow Schertz to SLU. 🫤

You’re out of your mind if you think khalifa is even close to as good as this guy… cmon! Lol. Khalifa couldn’t dominate at Charlotte; and scored 5 points at byu.
I found that curious as well. Khalifa isn’t close to this guy as a player. They are both pretty good passers, and that is where the comparisons end. Avila is miles better as an offensive player.

With discipline,and getting his weight under control, he would be fantastic. He's got great court vision, is a great passer iirc.
Yeah. I mean he’s highly skilled but if you’re only getting him for a year he doesn’t have time to do a 12-18 month body transformation losing all that “baby fat” while maintaining weight. He could drop 20lbs probably and be a small forward. Or he could add 20-30lbs of muscle and fat w a bulk and good strength training. And be a Burns type w more skill…. But as is as a senior….there are better immediate impact players that are day 1 ready

I've always found it odd how a coaching staff/program allow guys to be out of shape? He's a talented shooter/skilled offensive player and how much better could he be if he took this serious and got in shape?
Burns

Some guys just like to eat.

Melvin Turpin told me a story once that made my laugh. Said when he lived in the lodge, he was on a strict diet, controlled to the last calorie. Joe B had a manager or student (not sure exactly) that was being paid to sit outside of Mel’s room after a certain time in the evening to make sure he didn’t leave and go across the street to McDonalds. Mel loved McDonalds.

Mel, big grin on his face, told me that he simply gave the kid an extra $10 to go to McDonalds himself and pick Mel up some food!

Loved that guy.

Burns

Some guys just like to eat.

Melvin Turpin told me a story once that made my laugh. Said when he lived in the lodge, he was on a strict diet, controlled to the last calorie. Joe B had a manager or student (not sure exactly) that was being paid to sit outside of Mel’s room after a certain time in the evening to make sure he didn’t leave and go across the street to McDonalds. Mel loved McDonalds.

Mel, big grin on his face, told me that he simply gave the kid an extra $10 to go to McDonalds himself and pick Mel up some food!

Loved that guy.
I went to a lot of Cav's games when he there.
He could tear it up when he wanted to.

He's a different and fun kind of player. Looks pretty good at a place like ISU, but his ceiling isn't much higher. I hope the kid gets paid, but it won't be at a good D1 school. He's entertaining, but limited.

I'm still trying to figure out what the no contact in the portal means.
This guy and Khalifa had no contact, which I initially thought it meant "I'm following my coach, don't bother"

but then Khalifa ends up at Louisville. I'm sure there were some behind the scenes with Pope and Khalifa that perhaps soured one of them on the situation, but no contact would mean I guess he reached out to Louisville based on his friendship with another UL player?

It's bad when this board is wondering about where some random player that doesn't have UK on his list is committing to.
Its April 20th - hardly anyone is thinking about college basketball, yet here is UK fans breaking down where a kid that isn't on Kentucky's radar is going to go.

This state lives for basketball

I just realized, I gotta go plant my weed

OHIO BABY

This guy and Khalifa had no contact, which I initially thought it meant "I'm following my coach, don't bother"

but then Khalifa ends up at Louisville. I'm sure there were some behind the scenes with Pope and Khalifa that perhaps soured one of them on the situation, but no contact would mean I guess he reached out to Louisville based on his friendship with another UL player?
Imagine you were at a strict religious school, playing ball under a true believer, you try hard to live the expected life. Now the coach leaves, and you have a choice to make. Follow him, and try to live the same way you did at the strict school. Not because you have to, but out of respect. Or, go somewhere different and take a walk on the wild side. Like an Amish kid on rumspringa.

Reactions: ukfan1622

People assume it means he’s already made up his mind and his following his coach. And usually that’s true.

But it might just mean the kid is saying “I’ll contact you if I’m interested, I don’t want calls from schools I have no interest in…”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT