ADVERTISEMENT

CPAP users?

Does your boyfriend know you have a girl as your avatar?
aa2.png

I looked into getting a sleep study done since I was having sleep difficulties and I snore a lot. Then for two nights in a row I stayed up watching TV until I was dead tired. Sleep great both nights. Now I've been doing that for like 2 weeks now and I rarely wake up during the middle of the night and often I wake up naturally without even having to use an alarm.

My wife snored so bad I moved out of the bedroom. We went on vacation, it was awful. I got no sleep, I would try to sleep in the afternoon. Yuck. Her snoring ruined my vacation.
Talked her into getting testing. She wound up with a CPAP and full face mask. Worked great!
She said I should get tested. BS I replied, nothing wrong with me!
A year later, went to the Gator Bowl with my brother and two grown sons, we spent the night in same hotel room.

In the morning, they all said, "You SOB, you kept us up all night! What the hell is wrong with you?" I thought they were just busting my chops.
Talked to each one of them separately and they each said "You have got a serious problem"
So, with everyone who loves me telling me I had a problem, I got tested (simple take home test, it was easy)
Diagnosed with severe Sleep Apnea.
Got the nasal pillow version. Woke up the next morning, feeling like a million bucks. I didn't know you could wake up and feel good. Had never happened for me, just thought I wasn't a morning person.
Best thing to ever happen to me.
I sleep two hours less now and feel 100% better...... all day.

You guys have/had any issues with compliance? The machine I got had issues with the SD card, so the Doc/Vendor wasn't getting any info, replace the card and then have problems with the modem, get that replaced and now everything is working like it should. But still having to pay full price for the machine and supplies, being told I'm not compliant when both the Dr. and the Vendor rep say that I am. I'm about to tell these idiots to come pick the machine up.

Hoping I never have to get one but have a feeling I will. Typically take Benadryl at night if I want to knock myself out. Always drag the next day. If I do not take it, I typically wake up a few times a night and sometimes takes me awhile to fall back asleep.

Reactions: treyforuk
Somebody recently told me that they do not do studies anymore if you been diagnosed with apnea. Reason being, new machines self adjust to the pressures needed. Not sure if that's bullshit or not. Couple of years back I did have to be re-tested since my last study was over 5 years old..Insurance paid for all my supplies.

They still do sleep studies in lab and now at home depending what you insurance company allows.

Reactions: 55wildcat
I just had a sleep evaluation done on the 5th, having all of those wires around your body made it a brutal night. The doctor talked about the possibility of having a CPAP or a mouth piece to help my breathing. Especially the piece in your nose and wires wrapped tight around the ears made it uncomfortable. Awaiting to hear back if I have sleep apnea. I've not been able to sleep without multiple hard core sleeping medicines, trazadone & hydroxyzine. Then some melatonin. Without drugs for sleep, my body goes 5 days before it will crash that's how jacked up my sleep is. That's not an understatement, it's just the sad reality of my situation. I doubt my issues are sleep apnea but are rather tied to my PTSD from the military but I'm not a doctor and was given a sleep evaluation just in case.

Last edited:
Update - Didn't have to redo the sleep study. The doctor looked over my results, said I was making the right decision, and wrote the prescription and sent it to NAPS.

Long story short, Central Sleep Apnea is my biggest issue, i.e., my brain isn't telling me to start breathing again when I stop. OSA was secondary on the list. Due to the severity, I was prescribed what was explained to me to be the "Cadillac" of Cpap machines. It's a Phillips Respironics Bipap SV something or another. Just shy of $3,000 today to get rolling with another $2,500 still to pay. Seems to be a pretty impressive machine...humidifier, modem, bluetooth, etc. Hope I can get used to it, and hope it helps.

Regardless, the folks at NAPS were incredible to deal with.

Reactions: BBUK
Update - Didn't have to redo the sleep study. The doctor looked over my results, said I was making the right decision, and wrote the prescription and sent it to NAPS.

Long story short, Central Sleep Apnea is my biggest issue, i.e., my brain isn't telling me to start breathing again when I stop. OSA was secondary on the list. Due to the severity, I was prescribed what was explained to me to be the "Cadillac" of Cpap machines. It's a Phillips Respironics Bipap SV something or another. Just shy of $3,000 today to get rolling with another $2,500 still to pay. Seems to be a pretty impressive machine...humidifier, modem, bluetooth, etc. Hope I can get used to it, and hope it helps.

Regardless, the folks at NAPS were incredible to deal with.
Keep us posted

Several years ago I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and advised to use a CPAP. Instead I went on line and found that I could get a simple mouthpiece to wear at night for $30, that would keep my jaw extended to avoid sleep apnea from occurring. I discussed with my dentist who has severe sleep apnea himself, and does use a CPAP. He said so long as it stay in place I'm good-to-go. Works fine, I sleep well and wake up fully rested. I think C-PAPs are greatly over prescribed.

I was worried after reading what @kywildcatsfannumber1 had to say, but the device the man brought to my house is just a headband with a nasal tube. Hope a CPAP machine will help me with this exhaustion. Trying to keep up with an 8 year old and a 10 month old is hard enough.

I was worried after reading what @kywildcatsfannumber1 had to say, but the device the man brought to my house is just a headband with a nasal tube. Hope a CPAP machine will help me with this exhaustion. Trying to keep up with an 8 year old and a 10 month old is hard enough.
I re-read my post and apologize about any confusion over the wording of my post. My thoughts were kind of all over the place but the wiring, nose piece, etc I was referring about was the ones used in a sleep evaluation I had performed last week. I have not got my results back on a diagnosis yet, said it would be about 2 weeks before I hear anything. So, no I've never been on a CPAP machine but it's a possibility pending the results of the exam. Kind of worries me honestly if I have to depend on one the rest of my life. That post was just my description of the testing equipment hooked up during the initial evaluation. Sleep evaluations are even being done in home now but glad I did mine at a hospital.

I looked a lot like this guy all wired up for it and had to be un-hooked to use the restroom at night.
CcU99cZYAw9C8berkkEm69X0RkFe-DAQ_NUP6R2N6n0PDeIXov7IFOZbkzPhq8lVfoOlp0asdQz9k0EEyTxMjrTdz6GgrGpPrgSFZCQcVB7gHkzRODTaAsiPkC9DgrjwnmzS=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

Last edited:
I re-read my post and apologize about any confusion over the wording of my post. My thoughts were kind of all over the place but the wiring, nose piece, etc I was referring about was the ones used in a sleep evaluation I had performed last week. I have not got my results back on a diagnosis yet, said it would be about 2 weeks before I hear anything. So, no I've never been on a CPAP machine but it's a possibility pending the results of the exam. Kind of worries me honestly if I have to depend on one the rest of my life. That post was just my description of the testing equipment hooked up during the initial evaluation. Sleep evaluations are even being done in home now but glad I did mine at a hospital.

I looked a lot like this guy all wired up for it and had to be un-hooked to use the restroom at night.
CcU99cZYAw9C8berkkEm69X0RkFe-DAQ_NUP6R2N6n0PDeIXov7IFOZbkzPhq8lVfoOlp0asdQz9k0EEyTxMjrTdz6GgrGpPrgSFZCQcVB7gHkzRODTaAsiPkC9DgrjwnmzS=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu
There is no way I could sleep with all of that. I'm doing the in home test, here is what I'll be wearing tonight.
ARES_Unicorder_Model_600_New_-_on_subject_021__76343.1289534062.350.350.jpg

Several years ago I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and advised to use a CPAP. Instead I went on line and found that I could get a simple mouthpiece to wear at night for $30, that would keep my jaw extended to avoid sleep apnea from occurring. I discussed with my dentist who has severe sleep apnea himself, and does use a CPAP. He said so long as it stay in place I'm good-to-go. Works fine, I sleep well and wake up fully rested. I think C-PAPs are greatly over prescribed.

Thought of going that route but didn’t think it would help keeping my mouth closed while sleeping. No issues with that for you? Have also thought of doing the chin strap I’ve seen advertised.

It’s amazing the thought of sleeping with all of that crap on, I managed to get some sleep though. They thought I had RLS but told them I have bad knees, both of them replaced and they’ll wake me up during the night.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I cannot tolerate my cpap. Never could.

Upon reading this thread I ordered on of the masks mentioned. I tried. No joy.

I had the UPPP surgery in 1997. By far the most miserable experience of my life.

I do not recommend that surgery. I had no real improvement either.

Edit to add: I now have had Afib and Aflutter for at least 4 years. I don’t know for sure that apnea caused it. But guys, definitely use the cpap if you can.

I cannot tolerate my cpap. Never could.

Upon reading this thread I ordered on of the masks mentioned. I tried. No joy.

I had the UPPP surgery in 1997. By far the most miserable experience of my life.

I do not recommend that surgery. I had no real improvement either.

Edit to add: I now have had Afib and Aflutter for at least 4 years. I don’t know for sure that apnea caused it. But guys, definitely use the cpap if you can.

Have you tried exercise?

First night on the Bipap SV is in the books.

I must have slept better because I don't feel I'm experiencing the "fog" that generally plagues me for the better part of the morning. Woke up a few times which was expected since they told me it could take a week or two to get used to. I had a bit of a dry mouth overnight, but I can adjust the humidity level which should take care of that.

Asked the wife if she noticed a difference, and her response was "that thing works perfectly". No snoring whatsoever, and it's very quiet. No louder than someone breathing deeply while they sleep. So far, so good. Anxious to see how things go moving forward.

0031501_hermell-face-down-ergonomic-pillow.jpeg

Face down pillow maybe. Weirdo
Plus they have the smaller masks that just cover the nose.

They stole my idea I had an idea for something like this a year or so ago and had one of those invention places calling me but they wanted like 400 bucks to put it together and I said maybe next time.

I've been wearing one for 10-11 years. Ny sleep apnea had caused me to get up to 240 lbs. After starting the CPAP I dropped 40 lbs quickly. I was also getting so Narcoleptic I could barely keep my eyes open even if I was working or driving. It Was a Thanksgiving Day about 11 years ago driving to Lawrenceburg and I was damn lucky not to have a MVA, That is when I decided to have the study done.

This last year I have been struggling with COPD and they have put me on something called a Trilogy. It is a non-invasive respirator. I wear it all night.

Reactions: Free_Salato_Blue
Thought of going that route but didn’t think it would help keeping my mouth closed while sleeping. No issues with that for you? Have also thought of doing the chin strap I’ve seen advertised.

No, it works like a charm for me, however I have heard they tend to fall out during the night for some people. Don't really need a chin strap, but if falling out was a problem I might try it.

Also, I didn't read through the entire thread so this point may have been made already but sleep apena seems to be directly proportional to weight in most cases. If you have sleep apena and are overweight, the easiest cure may be just to shed 20 or 30 pounds

Reactions: UpstateNYCat
First night on the Bipap SV is in the books.

I must have slept better because I don't feel I'm experiencing the "fog" that generally plagues me for the better part of the morning. Woke up a few times which was expected since they told me it could take a week or two to get used to. I had a bit of a dry mouth overnight, but I can adjust the humidity level which should take care of that.

Asked the wife if she noticed a difference, and her response was "that thing works perfectly". No snoring whatsoever, and it's very quiet. No louder than someone breathing deeply while they sleep. So far, so good. Anxious to see how things go moving forward.

Stick with it man. It does take a few weeks to get used to. I've been on mine about 2 months and I still wake up at least once a night to readjust.

Small price to pay for deep, sound sleep though. I haven't slept this good in years, and it positively affects my mood and my ability to concentrate at work each day.

Reactions: BBUK and Los Gatos
No, it works like a charm for me, however I have heard they tend to fall out during the night for some people. Not really need a chin strap, but if falling out was a problem I might try it.

I'm a mouth breather so I tried the chin strap at first, but it felt like I was in a torture device. Switched to a full face mask, and its been much better.

No, it works like a charm for me, however I have heard they tend to fall out during the night for some people. Don't really need a chin strap, but if falling out was a problem I might try it.

Also, I didn't read through the entire thread so this point may have been made already but sleep apena seems to be directly proportional to weight in most cases. If you have sleep apena and are overweight, the easiest cure may be just to shed 20 or 30 pounds

Much obliged for the info. And yes, weight is an issue with me regarding T2 Diabetes and snoring.

Here is a pic of the chinstrap I was thinking of trying, not sure how well it would work.
sabuk_anti_ngorok_1_-_masker_anti_dengkur.jpg

They stole my idea I had an idea for something like this a year or so ago and had one of those invention places calling me but they wanted like 400 bucks to put it together and I said maybe next time.

I've been wearing one for 10-11 years. Ny sleep apnea had caused me to get up to 240 lbs. After starting the CPAP I dropped 40 lbs quickly. I was also getting so Narcoleptic I could barely keep my eyes open even if I was working or driving. It Was a Thanksgiving Day about 11 years ago driving to Lawrenceburg and I was damn lucky not to have a MVA, That is when I decided to have the study done.

This last year I have been struggling with COPD and they have put me on something called a Trilogy. It is a non-invasive respirator. I wear it all night.

Glad it helps, you can sleep 10 hours and feel like you only get 3 hours rest with the condition.

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT