ADVERTISEMENT

Courtney Love on Hardship Waiver

I thought Forrest looked good in the scrimmage that I went to. He seemed to read the offense better and not get caught off guard by certain running plays. I think he's improved.
Forrest really seems to have a nose for the football. If he is wrapping up he has potential to be very very special player.

Forrest is faster. Love is stronger and younger. Both are good players. In today's game, you need quality depth. Kentucky was fortunate that Forrest was able to stay healthy throughout last fall. It is unusual to get through a whole season with basically 1 middle linebacker. Love would help our run defense. Firios is in the picture too, although he was dinged up this month. Kentucky's defense was not very good last fall, but improvement in quality depth at most positions bodes well for our defense this year.

He's not gonna start game 1 even if cleared today. He may work his way to that but from what I've read our lbs have been much improved and he is gonna be learning a new system.
No, I think he would start. Perfect 1st & 2nd down linebacker to stuff the opponents run downs.

I've heard the only reason he didn't play at Nebraska was because Pelini's system was too complicated and he never got comfortable with it. He had the physical tools. That was a common complaint with Pelini.

No idea how that translates to UK's defense because I don't know how complicated it is.

I've heard the only reason he didn't play at Nebraska was because Pelini's system was too complicated and he never got comfortable with it. He had the physical tools. That was a common complaint with Pelini.

No idea how that translates to UK's defense because I don't know how complicated it is.
See the guy with the ball? Tackle him.

Reactions: BengalWACO
flanigan took all year to "get" our system. forrest was finally starting to put it together at the end of the year as well. im not knocking love at all. but as you point out. he is a rs soph in a new system going against 2 seniors who have experience. if love is cleared, he'll play a bunch but i just dont think (from the practice reports i read) that forrest and flannigan are getting passed this fall. im sure they will put some packages together for him to try use his talents as much as possible though.

He's from Youngstown. That's 6 hours from Lexington.

He didn't like Pelini and didn't like his lack of playing time. Good luck with the waiver, though.

He didn't like Pelini? That's odd! Lincoln to Youngstown is over 14 hours. Lexington to Youngstown is a half day drive. So yes, it's closer. He can make the drive by himself in one morning. I don't know if his waiver will be granted, but pretty sure it's valid and the bonus is he was getting away from Lincoln and playing in the SEC.

You're just butthurt because he left your huskers. Simple as that.

I believe the NCAA did away with the hardship waiver. All transfers who have not graduated must sit a year.
I thought they were just eliminating the instant eligibility of graduating 5th year seniors, like the 2 transfers UL basketball players signed this week

I couldn't possibly care less that he transferred. I'm just not sure the NCAA is going to grant him a hardship waiver.
It sorta seems like you care quite a bit to me. I don't know the real story on why he transferred...PT, granny, both...but I doubt you do either.

In short, WildCard, I don't believe that the hardship waiver is filed in the perspective that he switched schools because he wanted to play more, and play immediately (and that may actually be a big reason, but that's besides the point).
He filed because he found that it was necessary for him to make the move from Nebraska to Kentucky so that he could be closer to his ailing relative, and he doesn't feel he should be penalized any remaining eligibility because of the necessary move.
So, rather than saying "I should play immediately because I had to move from Nebraska to Kentucky for my ailing relative", the waiver actually implies "I should not lose any eligibility because I had to move from Nebraska to Kentucky for my ailing relative".
And if he doesn't lose eligibility, then obviously he would be eligible to play next season, as Nebraska used up his redshirt. Hence, the hardship waiver.

Well, to be honest, I'm just not sure that is a strong enough argument to warrant a waiver. The question would be "how necessary" was such a move? As noted in my OP there is simply not a written basis for a residency waiver based on family health. I suppose there would be a strong case for such a waiver if the student athlete was a primary care giver to an affirmed relative but that is not the case here.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic to the situation but, if not a care giver, I am not sure how much proximity makes a difference, For that matter Pitt, WVA, PSU, MI, MSU and a host of MAC schools are closer to Youngstown than is Lexington. And I am sure any of those schools would welcome a transfer of his ability if they had roster space.

FWIW, Matt Milton transferred to UofL after 2 years at TN (2010 and 2011) and sought a waiver to play immediately for similar reasons (i.e., closer to ailing father). The waiver was denied and Matt sat out the 2012 season and played the next 2 years. The bottom line here is that residency waivers for transfers due to "family matters" seldom get approved. Still, it never hurts to try especially in the current climate.

Peace

The truth is you nor I know all of the details of his case. So the assumptions you make of his relationship to his grandmother are out of line. I know few hardship waivers are approved but Stoops isn't the kind of coach that would float optimism to the fanbase unless he felt the kid had a very strong case. Stoops knows the game well enough to know a legitimate case when he sees one. That doesn't mean he will be granted a waiver but anyone making predictions is full of crap

yxlkhsmxvfmbfxtisj75.jpg

"See the guy with the ball, tackle him"

The truth is you nor I know all of the details of his case. So the assumptions you make of his relationship to his grandmother are out of line. I know few hardship waivers are approved but Stoops isn't the kind of coach that would float optimism to the fanbase unless he felt the kid had a very strong case. Stoops knows the game well enough to know a legitimate case when he sees one. That doesn't mean he will be granted a waiver but anyone making predictions is full of crap
Of course we don't the details. And as I said in earlier posts, every waiver request stands on its own merit. I'm just pointing out why this particular waiver (again, a waiver request of the transfer residency requirement, not a "hardship" waiver) is usually denied. And, in the context of this thread, it is the player who expressed optimism the waiver would be granted, not Stoops.

Here is a February 4 Jen Smith article where Stoops acknowledges the waiver request has been made but expresses no opinion as to whether or not it would be successful

Peace

No, I think he would start. Perfect 1st & 2nd down linebacker to stuff the opponents run downs.
I don't think Love starts ahead of Forrest, but they make an interesting tandem because they have different strengths and weaknesses. Big question here is whether our coaches will play Love and Forrest together in a 3-4. Another question, do our coaches think Forrest can play outside? His physical tools seem well suited for that. Those issues could create more opportunities for Love. Also for Flannigan, Firios, Hendrix.

Of course we don't the details. And as I said in earlier posts, every waiver request stands on its own merit. I'm just pointing out why this particular waiver (again, a waiver request of the transfer residency requirement, not a "hardship" waiver) is usually denied. And, in the context of this thread, it is the player who expressed optimism the waiver would be granted, not Stoops.

Here is a February 4 Jen Smith article where Stoops acknowledges the waiver request has been made but expresses no opinion as to whether or not it would be successful

Peace

The staff have expressed confidence through backchannels that they knew would reach the fans (Matt Jones, Justin Rowland) they aren't stupid enough to make public statements of confidence when the appeal process is ongoing

Do others read the link I provided as still permitting a waiver in 2015? Seems pretty clear the hardship waiver rule was abolished after Love made his application for waiver.

Reactions: BIGBLUEQ

You should really just got back to the fields, you can't help being negative when it comes to anything concerning Kentucky with the Nebraska flavor. Look its easy to read that you are butthurt over us getting some players but showing your classless attitude here is just wrong.

Well, to be honest, I'm just not sure that is a strong enough argument to warrant a waiver. The question would be "how necessary" was such a move? As noted in my OP there is simply not a written basis for a residency waiver based on family health. I suppose there would be a strong case for such a waiver if the student athlete was a primary care giver to an affirmed relative but that is not the case here.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic to the situation but, if not a care giver, I am not sure how much proximity makes a difference, For that matter Pitt, WVA, PSU, MI, MSU and a host of MAC schools are closer to Youngstown than is Lexington. And I am sure any of those schools would welcome a transfer of his ability if they had roster space.

FWIW, Matt Milton transferred to UofL after 2 years at TN (2010 and 2011) and sought a waiver to play immediately for similar reasons (i.e., closer to ailing father). The waiver was denied and Matt sat out the 2012 season and played the next 2 years. The bottom line here is that residency waivers for transfers due to "family matters" seldom get approved. Still, it never hurts to try especially in the current climate.

Peace

Just curious how could a freshman in college be a primary care giver unless the relative lived next door to the college? If that was the case why would he transfer? There may be a change now but in the past sick parents or guardians were reasons for transferring to closer schools.

Reactions: BIGBLUEQ
That's an interesting development but it is not the waiver situation being discussed. What Love has asked for is a waiver to the transfer residency requirement, not a request for a medical hardship waiver to the 5 year eligibility window.

Peace

Hope you are right. Local radio was commenting this past week that the transfer family need exception was eliminated.

You should really just got back to the fields, you can't help being negative when it comes to anything concerning Kentucky with the Nebraska flavor. Look its easy to read that you are butthurt over us getting some players but showing your classless attitude here is just wrong.

No idea where you see anything negative in that. I said Love had the physical tools to play at a high level. The only thing holding him back was grasping a complicated defensive scheme. There were several players who complained about Pelini's defense and who were going to transfer because they didn't like it. UK doesn't use the same defense (nor does Nebraska anymore), so Love should excel.

Thanks! Been a long time. Was surprised to see when I registered here. 2002! Damn. Been reading for years, however. Get good info here.

An interesting but somewhat confusing article.

The basketball oriented writer says the player would sit out a "redshirt year" before earning his extra year to complete his eligibility. Since most basketball players do not redshirt this is really no change at all since a player has 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. The question is: if a player has already red shirted and must still sit out a year will he be awarded a 6th year to finish his eligibility?

I am fairly sure the actual proposal that will go before the NCAA BoD will address this situation but it would appear that, if passed, Love would be required to sit out this year. Maybe the best answer for ALL transfers (other than a discontinued sport issue or a 3 year graduate) is you sit out a year and, if necessary, will be awarded 6th year to complete your eligibility. Since such a student would actually be in school for 5 years prior to earning an extra year it would be proper to require he graduates before warding the 6th year.

Peace

Reactions: TuckyFan
Guys don't bet on Courtney Love being eligible immediately. Coaches are confident in that and yes the NCAA rules have changed. Jere is an article

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/03/gus_malzahn_disappointed_in_kh.html

Read this article. The player transfered from Auburn to Tulsa in January to be close by his sick grand parent and filed for a hardship waver with the NCAA, exact situation as Courtney Love. The NCAA turned it down citing the new rule. Now the rule states that they won't grant the player immediate eligibility but instead give the player an extra year of eligibility. So instead of 5 years to play 4 seasons you'll have 6 years to play 4 seasons. So count this as a free year.

I repeat he is not going to get immediate eligibility. I highlight this case because if the NCAA changes there ruling in this case from the article then UK will ask for the same treatment. So they are waiting to see what the NCAA does in this case from the article. They are not optimistic.

Guys don't bet on Courtney Love being eligible immediately. Coaches are confident in that and yes the NCAA rules have changed. Jere is an article

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/03/gus_malzahn_disappointed_in_kh.html

Read this article. The player transfered from Auburn to Tulsa in January to be close by his sick grand parent and filed for a hardship waver with the NCAA, exact situation as Courtney Love. The NCAA turned it down citing the new rule. Now the rule states that they won't grant the player immediate eligibility but instead give the player an extra year of eligibility. So instead of 5 years to play 4 seasons you'll have 6 years to play 4 seasons. So count this as a free year.

I repeat he is not going to get immediate eligibility. I highlight this case because if the NCAA changes there ruling in this case from the article then UK will ask for the same treatment. So they are waiting to see what the NCAA does in this case from the article. They are not optimistic.
Thanks for bringing this up UKani. I was not aware of the new rule.

it was my understanding that once the decision was made in the tulsa case that that would let us know how loves case was going to go. if the tulsa transfer was denied then it's a done deal for us too.

Has anyone seen Love play on college level? I know his offers were great, but does anyone know if he's the real deal on college level yet? Thanks

The staff have expressed confidence through backchannels that they knew would reach the fans (Matt Jones, Justin Rowland) they aren't stupid enough to make public statements of confidence when the appeal process is ongoing

Ships don't usually leak from the top. I highly doubt any leak came from Stoops or had his blessing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT