ADVERTISEMENT

Courtney Love on Hardship Waiver

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Jeff Drummond þ@JDrumUK 6m6 minutes ago

UK early enrollee Courtney Love, a xfer from Nebraska, says he has a hardship waiver filed, is optimistic it will come thru to play in '15

This would be huge. He'll be the starting MLB in my opinion.

could do more to help our rushing defense for 2015 than any player on the roster presently

Originally posted by Brock28:
Absolutely just go back and look at his offers out of HS....we need to not forget we have this young man coming in to a big need position.

Plus us we have several big time LBs coming in this year.

Originally posted by kyhusker2:

I'd love to know his grounds for a hardship waiver.
believe it has to do with his grandmother. Sounds like him and the staff are very optimistic it goes through. Would be absolutely huge for the LB position. With him, probably most improved group we'll have.

#28 LB

Offers from FSU, Notre Dame, OSU, Mich St, Oklahoma, USC

We are luck lucky lucky to have him. We need him to make a statement this season.

He wanted to be closer to his grandmother and great grandmother who basically raised him...they were both sick.

One passed away when he had finalized his transfer, from my understanding. How is that?

Grandmother has the possibility of passing away soon I believe. He transferred to UK to be closer to his family, because of her illness.

He's from Youngstown. That's 6 hours from Lexington.

He didn't like Pelini and didn't like his lack of playing time. Good luck with the waiver, though.

Grandmother, who I believe was his legal guardian for a bit, is very sick and he transferred to be closer to her. Unfortunately she passed away shortly after he transferred here.

Hart's filling too as is my understanding. Hart's will almost certainly get denied, Love's got a decent chance of getting his waiver.

If love can come in and start at LB, that would allow Forrest to move to strong side LB which seems to be a more natural position for him.

Our LB corps can be greatly improved from last season.

He didn't like Pelini and didn't like his lack of playing time. Good luck with the waiver, though.
Thanks for your opinion.

tired.r191677.gif

Reactions: mattrudd
Youngstown Ohio is 5 hours and 26 mins from Lexington Ky vs Lincoln Nebraska being 13 hours and 15 mins. from Youngstown Ohio I would say the 7 hours and 37 min difference would mean that he moved way closer to home but I only stayed at a holiday inn express last night so what do I know lol. You are a moron husker fan get off our board you butt hurt loser.

This post was edited on 2/4 9:42 AM by WILDCAT_NATION#8

Originally posted by Brock28:
Enrolling for 2nd semester gets Love into spring practice. This strengthens our football team at 2 defensive positions, since Love is an upgrade at Mike linebacker and Forrest can move outside to Will.

Originally posted by 80 Proof:
If love can come in and start at LB, that would allow Forrest to move to strong side LB which seems to be a more natural position for him.

Can Forrest play some DE in a passing situation? Before some one gives me lecture no. 50 on Wil, Jack, Sam, etc., I know we don't play a standard 4-3 anymore. But we need heat on the QB, and he would seem to have the size and speed needed to rush the passer, especially if Love, Flannigan or someone else can hold down the MLB spot. Besides get your best 11 on the field, first, then figure out where to play them

Much closer than the cornfields in Nebraska.

And you don't like that he left your Huskers. Bad luck to you.

Originally posted by Tskware:
Originally posted by 80 Proof:

Can Forrest play some DE in a passing situation? Before some one gives me lecture no. 50 on Wil, Jack, Sam, etc., I know we don't play a standard 4-3 anymore. But we need heat on the QB, and he would seem to have the size and speed needed to rush the passer, especially if Love, Flannigan or someone else can hold down the MLB spot. Besides get your best 11 on the field, first, then figure out where to play them
He certainly has the speed to do so, but someone like Forrest may be more valuable in coverage. Forrest had 1 sack last year, but led the team in tackles. I think he is going to grow into a pretty solid linebacker. The staff can obviously move him around some because he seems to be versatile, but he might be better served just trying to really focus on getting as good as possible at reading defenses and playing that linebacker role.

Originally posted by Wildcatsworld:

I couldn't possibly care less that he transferred. I'm just not sure the NCAA is going to grant him a hardship waiver.

Yeah I am sure that you don't care that a player who started at Linebacker in your bowl game transferred
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Wildcatsworld:

^^This^^

Originally posted by WILDCAT_NATION#8:
Yeah I am sure that you don't care that a player who started at Linebacker in your bowl game transferred
laugh.r191677.gif
He didn't go to the bowl game.

Originally posted by WILDCAT_NATION#8:
laugh.r191677.gif
He didn't go to the bowl game.
Naturally when people don't care, they stop arguing and pay no attention to something. You're doing a very bad job at not caring.

Who did like Pelini?

I'm happy to have Mr. Love.

With Love in the middle (resisting all jokes), move Forrest outside, then we have the RS guys and others to compete for the other slot(s) and provide depth. LB core could be much improved.

Then, if West/Edwards can play up to their rep and we add one or two of the true frosh to the secondary, they could be much improved as well.

DE/DT remains a concern, but we'll see what we can get out of Miggins, Bell and the returnees. Oh, forgot about Ware. he should help too.

Still concerned on impact of losing Bud (Z too, but imo he is more replaceable), but our D could take a step forward.

Really hope Love can play next year...

Originally posted by 9FFrodo:
With Love in the middle (resisting all jokes), move Forrest outside, then we have the RS guys and others to compete for the other slot(s) and provide depth. LB core could be much improved.

Then, if West/Edwards can play up to their rep and we add one or two of the true frosh to the secondary, they could be much improved as well.

DE/DT remains a concern, but we'll see what we can get out of Miggins, Bell and the returnees. Oh, forgot about Ware. he should help too.

Still concerned on impact of losing Bud (Z too, but imo he is more replaceable), but our D could take a step forward.

Really hope Love can play next year...
Coach Marrow said on the radio today that Love and Hart had filed hardships and both expected to play next year...
smokin.r191677.gif

Someone has a lot of butthurt in this thread, and on the national rivals boards a lot of Nebraska fans rip Marrow constantly. For a program with so much tradition it is sad to see them stoop to that level. Of course this is not your fathers Nebraska program any longer with Gill, Rozier, Fryar and Rimington. Loved when the "U" took down the team of the century in the Orange Bowl - best college game I have ever seen on both sides.

I thought Forrest looked good in the scrimmage that I went to. He seemed to read the offense better and not get caught off guard by certain running plays. I think he's improved.

Reactions: dad52
A couple of points here...

First of all, this is not "new" news. It has been "reported" for some time that Love (I don't know about Hart) was going to apply for a waiver to transfer residency requirement.

Note the above phrasing. The NCAA regulations specifically cites a "hardship waiver" as a waiver to the 5 year eligibility window. IOW, the term "hardship waiver" correctly applies only to players seeking a 6th year to complete their 4 years of eligibility. This is usually due to injury but other circumstances may apply. When you read of hardship waivers being granted it is almost certainly a waiver for a 6th year to play 4 years.

By-law 14.8.2 (p. 165 in 2009 By-laws) covers waivers to the transfer residency requirement. While there is a provision for a waiver due to a health issue of the student athlete there is no such waiver provision to be closer to an ailing relative. And when you stop to think about it there is really no reason for such a waiver since, as in this case, the athlete has (already) moved closer to the ailing party and is presumably under scholarship. Playing or not playing has nothing to do with proximity to the ailing party.

All that said, a student athlete can apply for a waiver to any NCAA regulation. The waiver request is then reviewed by the appropriate sub-committee and I have read that in the adjudication of same each waiver stands on its' own merits (i.e., precedence does not matter).

My money says it won't fly but who knows? We are entering a new era of collegiate athletic governance and it is hard to say what will happen so go for it. JMO

Peace

The reference of hardship above is for a medical redshirt season. That application follows regular eligibility and requests a 6th season to play 4, due to a medical injury.

The eligibility in question to Love's request is to gain a waiver to the rule that you have to sit out a year when transferring from one D1 school to another D1 school. You say that he already moved so it doesn't matter. However, it does matter. The hardship is that he needed to make a move and it would be fair to waive the transfer rule as its applied due to the hardship of a family medical issue. It has been done before and precedence could apply if the NCAA wants to be consistent given that they are not consistent enough with other rules enforcement of late already.

They may want to silence the mob a bit since this is not an exclusive request. A small gesture like this could soften some of the complaints as to their ridiculous decisions about rules and their huge lack of contrast between different universities.

Would be nice for depth, but has this guy been very effective so far in his college career? I know he had a nice recruiting list out of HS, but did he excel at Nebraska? He'll be playing in the SEC and several of you are exaggerating his impact, I think. "I don't see anyone beating him out" Cause he's ripped??? "He's a starter" "Single most important....."

Easy guys.

He's not gonna start game 1 even if cleared today. He may work his way to that but from what I've read our lbs have been much improved and he is gonna be learning a new system.

He's only a RS sophomore you act like he's a washed up bum that never panned out. He was the leading candidate to start this year lol

In short, WildCard, I don't believe that the hardship waiver is filed in the perspective that he switched schools because he wanted to play more, and play immediately (and that may actually be a big reason, but that's besides the point).
He filed because he found that it was necessary for him to make the move from Nebraska to Kentucky so that he could be closer to his ailing relative, and he doesn't feel he should be penalized any remaining eligibility because of the necessary move.
So, rather than saying "I should play immediately because I had to move from Nebraska to Kentucky for my ailing relative", the waiver actually implies "I should not lose any eligibility because I had to move from Nebraska to Kentucky for my ailing relative".
And if he doesn't lose eligibility, then obviously he would be eligible to play next season, as Nebraska used up his redshirt. Hence, the hardship waiver.

ADVERTISEMENT