ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing the SEC to the Big 10 since 2000.

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
We keep hearing that there are going to be two 20 team super conferences. There might be two 20 team conferences. But there will be only 1 super conference & that will be the SEC. If you compare the SEC to the Big 10 when it comes to on field & on court success in the 3 main men's team sports since 2000 you will find. I guess this is why some schools want to join the Big 10 instead of the SEC. The competition is a little to tough in the SEC.

Baseball
SEC 9 national championships
Big 10 Zero national championships

Football
SEC 13 national championships
Big 10 2 national championships

Basketball
SEC 3 national championships
Big 10 1 national championship

All 3 sports combined
SEC 25 national championships
Big 10 3 national championships

The SEC dominates like no other in football & baseball. SEC needs to pick it up in basketball though with 0 titles in 10 years now. The problem is other than UK (not saying UK will win another with Cal before the thread derails), who is a threat to win a national title going forward?

I agree the Big 10 is like the red headed little brother in these hypothetical 2 conference 20 team super conferences though and I do not see that changing.

Reactions: RunninRichie
To be fair, I think the big10 puts a little more emphasis on academics. Not bashing our conference, that’s just the way it is. The IVY league doesn’t produce national championships either.

To be fair, I think the big10 puts a little more emphasis on academics. Not bashing our conference, that’s just the way it is. The IVY league doesn’t produce national championships either.

To be fair, it’s literally a sports conference. Not sure how academics is that relevant to it. Comparing Nebraska and Iowa to Princeton and Harvard is a little silly in many ways.

Reactions: RunninRichie
To be fair, it’s literally a sports conference. Not sure how academics is that relevant to it. Comparing Nebraska and Iowa to Princeton and Harvard is a little silly in many ways.
Perhaps, but the academic gap between Northwestern, Michigan, Penn St are not far from Dartmouth, Penn or Brown. See? I can cherry pick too.

Perhaps, but the academic gap between Northwestern, Michigan, Penn St are not far from Dartmouth, Penn or Brown. See? I can cherry pick too.
Believe me, conference expansion has absolutely nothing to do with academics. It's all about football & eyeballs. I mean if there's a football game on one channel between Ohio State & Southern Cal & on another channel there's an academic match on between the same 2 schools, what will 99% of people be watching? When you can't compete on the field, you start talking about academics.

Someone should look up SEC vs. B1G football since 1980. Three or four years ago it was 80-47. Pretty sure the gap has widened.

Believe me, conference expansion has absolutely nothing to do with academics. It's all about football & eyeballs. I mean if there's a football game on one channel between Ohio State & Southern Cal & on another channel there's an academic match on between the same 2 schools, what will 99% of people be watching? When you can't compete on the field, you start talking about academics.
It’s a double win. When they say academics they really mean research. Make no mistake research brings in more. The football part brings the fun and riches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT